HiRez Poll Simon, Carly - NO SECRETS [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Carly Simon - NO SECRETS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Music: 7
(I bought "You're So Vain" on a 45, I bought the CD-4 album because of the linked review, the more I listened, the more I like this album):
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1974-05.pdf#page=72

Fidelity: 9
(listened on my basement system, no equipment for Atmos)

Surround Mix(s):
Quadio: 7
5.1 [originally for a DVD-A] (listened using my 4.1 basement system): 7
DD 5.1 compatibility downmix of Atmos mix (listened using my 4.1 basement system): 8

average 7.6, rounds to 8

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
OK, really was looking forward to this title on Rhino bluray. Never heard any of the multi channel mixes before but was most eager on hearing the new Atmos mix.

Into my Oppo the disc goes and it defaults to Atmos so here we go...
The Right Thing To Do - pretty nice and enveloping sound, this can be a winner...
The Carter Family - really impressive mix and fidelity, sure we have a winner at hand...
You´re So Vain - wait, what happened here? Did I lower the volume by mistake? Turned the volume up but nothing much happens, WTF? A totally dull sound/bad fidelity with vocals and everything very distant and with no balls whatsoever.

In the shock of state I am in I nearly missed that the next song, His Friends Are More Than Fond of Robin, is absolutely excellent in the Atmos mix.

Have now listened to all of the mixes and here is my verdict.
Stereo gets a 9
Quad gets a 9
- the most interesting mix with, to my ears, some new parts added or more highlighted in the mix
5.1 gets an 8 - a good mix but not as good as the quad
All three mixes above are pretty consistant from track to track.

The Atmos mix gets a 6 from me. It is the most inconsistant mix I have ever heard. Some songs, like Robin, is totally excellent while others are plain bad, especially You're So Vain, We have No Secrets and Night Owl - all of them lacking balls and fidelity.

In total the disc gets an 8 from me.

Back