Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(from FB, I guess this is real, I've seen pictures of this t-shirt before)

Kirk Bayne

HF_SW_ST.jpg

Gotcha!

I haven’t seen any raccoons in my neighborhood in Idaho, but it’s a lot more built-up than where we lived in Virginia, with about a hundred feet of wild forest between us and our back neighbors.

We had a family set up under our deck once, and I have a few critter cam shots of them raiding our bird feeders

I know you all have seen plenty of the Aurora this last few days, so not trying to bore anyone.. But....we have never have had the opportunity down here in Southern Montana due to weather etc over the years, but got lucky this time. These are over the house but through some thin clouds..
I’m a bit further north than you, and in spite of all my efforts, I’ve never seen an aurora. We get too much city lights, getting out of town is the only way, and my timing has always been wrong for that.

Not sure if this link will work (it's FaceBook) but the pic is worth seeing, as well as Eno's comments:

[nope, didn't work but here's the pic -- Eno states that repackaging old music in boxes of artwork is the way
artists continue to make money on "easily duplicative" art such as CDs -- "Someone who won't pay 15 pounds for
a CD will pay 150 pounds for extra non-duplicative artwork in a box" and yes, that was paraphrased]

Attachments

• lou reed.jpg
    lou reed.jpg
    103.5 KB
Last edited:
Almost shaved my beard today! (I told my wife and daughter i would shave when i rolled a perfect game.)
View attachment 110177
And i ended the previous game with three strikes, so now i know i can throw 12 in a row! My day will come . . . it is hoped!
I did shave my beard off before receiving an award. (work) a long time ago. I was told I looked like a kid. Haven't shaved since. But now...with all of this white hair showing up all over the place...maybe? 🙃

I did shave my beard off before receiving an award. (work) a long time ago. I was told I looked like a kid. Haven't shaved since. But now...with all of this white hair showing up all over the place...maybe? 🙃
If you do, post some before and after pix! Hell, how about some before pix? I LOVE a good beard @The56Kid ! @mandrix !

Those are beautiful. Must have been awe inspiring in real life. I always enjoy seeing the pics you post.
I really appreciate that!! I got hurt some years ago, so my hunting / fishing/ hiking days were reduced by a lot. Decided I should try a camera as I have seen so much over the years runnin' around in the woods etc and wished I had one. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but sometimes they work out pretty good now and then...by the way..I am OK! Still up every morning....a good day👌Blessed~ All the very best to you and yours

Attachments

• [000725]-2.jpg
    [000725]-2.jpg
    7.4 MB
  • _05A4663e.jpg
    _05A4663e.jpg
    5.2 MB
Was having some fun messing around with my friend only to find out I just completely suck at color grading...just like with audio, it is very hard to translate what you see/hear in your head to actual life...

View attachment 110293
My wife has a far better sense of color than I do, although I always pass those color blindness tests with ease. I remember when I was rebuilding our deck and there was a concrete step that, try as I might, I could not remove, so we decided to paint it. We brought a sample of the decking material to a paint store (it was an imitation dark wood - brown), and she and the clerk probably spent fifteen minutes saying “It’s a little gray, It’s leaning toeard blue…” Totally out of my understanding.

On another issue, my masculine ancestry has never had much body or facial hair. I’ll never really fit in here in Idaho.

Guess this as good of a place as any, to ask a burning question I have......
Since I only have a 70's, 4 channel surround system. What am I missing with playing Atmos or even a 5.1 tracks? Or are the additional tracks blended into 4 with my Sansui? Am I wasting $$ buying bluray audio? Listening to my Rhino Chicago bluray now, and it sounds excellent, but I just keep wondering...

Iam like RIP Van Winkle, as I've missed the last 45yrs of surround music improvements and everything is confusing as......well you know

Guess this as good of a place as any, to ask a burning question I have......
Since I only have a 70's, 4 channel surround system. What am I missing with playing Atmos or even a 5.1 tracks? Or are the additional tracks blended into 4 with my Sansui? Am I wasting $$ buying bluray audio? Listening to my Rhino Chicago bluray now, and it sounds excellent, but I just keep wondering...

Iam like RIP Van Winkle, as I've missed the last 45yrs of surround music improvements and everything is confusing as......well you know
There are in fact mixes available that use more channels. Some of them are very good and you probably want this!

You're missing hearing more discrete channels. Simple as that.

You'll have to tell us if you are downmixing to your current setup or listening with missing channels! You set for your system with a computer and it will just downmix anything bigger. Same for most AV receivers but the controls will vary and are usually cryptic to operate.

Most computer based media players decode any of the encoded formats like Dolby or dts and simply put the channels to your sound system. Atmos is the single outlier right now because they are using the decoder to strong-arm sell hardware and not licensing it to any software media players beyond their own reference player app.

For everything else, just buy the amps and speakers you like. Computer media players will let you listen to all formats besides encoded Atmos at their fullest fidelity. Atmos software is attainable with some effort and you don't have to fall into replacing AVR and buying new amps you don't need all over again to get hidden software.

Going from stereo to quad is night and day! Going from quad to 5.1 or even 7.1.4 is just another day. It's still a really good day! The 4 main channels are still the 4 main channels in 5.1 and 7.1.4, BTW. But of course you want more speakers just to hear what mixes people have been up to, right? :D

What am I missing with playing Atmos or even a 5.1 tracks?
If you have a great quad mix, you won’t be missing an earth shattering experience by upgrading to 5.1 or Atmos. It is a matter of diminishing returns every time you add more speakers.

Atmos when done well is better than quad. And there are 5.1 and Atmos mixes out there that are better than the quad mixes; but there are also quad mixes that are better than their 5.1 and Atmos counterparts. (Same old story.)

Back