"Slippery When Wet" HFPA in February

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK....then, I speculate that it WILL have better qualities than MY dual disc. lol

The DualDisc rocks!

But... If they can make it sound better, then.... I'd love to be wowed all over again! :burnout

Anyway, this surround mix is certainly worthy of a reissue at the very least.

The DualDisc rocks!

But... If they can make it sound better, the:burnoutn.... I'd love to be wowed all over again!

Anyway, this surround mix is certainly worthy of a reissue at the very least.

I'll wait and see if it's a different (and better) mastering than the original dualdisc before I pull the trigger on this one...

Yeah - They've broken their own rule... Not that I'm complaining...

This one is a High Fidelity Not-so-pure Audio disc.. :confused:

I've gone over this before, but they have never really followed any rules or standards when it comes to these HFPA releases.
Should they be stereo-only or with surround? Should they include bonus tracks or bonus videos? What audio codecs and in what order should they be in? Any visuals during playback, and should the music auto-play?

Each release has answered these questions differently, and a little more consistency could help to give these releases more traction.

I've gone over this before, but they have never really followed any rules or standards when it comes to these HFPA releases.
Should they be stereo-only or with surround? Should they include bonus tracks or bonus videos? What audio codecs and in what order should they be in? Any visuals during playback, and should the music auto-play?

Each release has answered these questions differently, and a little more consistency could help to give these releases more traction.

Agreed, but my point was that their catch phrase is High Fidelity Pure Audio, and on the back of most of their discs it says:

"Ultra High Quality Audio.
No Video Content."

EDIT: And this is the first disc which breaks that (stupid IMHO) "rule"...

Agreed, but my point was that their catch phrase is High Fidelity Pure Audio, and on the back of most of their discs it says:

"Ultra High Quality Audio.
No Video Content."

EDIT: And this is the first disc which breaks that (stupid IMHO) "rule"...

I agree. I think it's been proven that video doesn't really detract from the quality of audio you can have on a Blu-Ray. Same goes for bonus tracks.
Most of these HFPA releases IMHO are a pale shadow compared to others like the XTC or Yes releases.

Oh guys..we all know by now the HFPA thing is a load of marketing bullshit!

This Slippery BJ BDA should usher in more video content-filled HFPA's but it won't imho unless the British and American producers (who have seemingly taken over the HFPA thing from the French?) make it happen.

Could people like Neil Wilkes/Opus convince Universal of the added benefit of video material? I really think it would tip people over the edge and buy these in greater numbers the more content they can stuff on them.

The French HFPA guys were under the (mistaken, in my book) impression that Warners' DVD-Audio rollout flopped because of all that video material confusing the consumer and all that unnecessary 5.1 stuff.. What a crock. They went with Pure Audio with no video and no 5.1 to save THEM effort and most importantly money money money..!!!!

I agree. I think it's been proven that video doesn't really detract from the quality of audio you can have on a Blu-Ray. Same goes for bonus tracks.
Most of these HFPA releases IMHO are a pale shadow compared to others like the XTC or Yes releases.

Well said RT! :upthumb

It's almost embarrassing how empty these HFPA Blu-rays are..!!
(I just started ripping them to my Mac and it's unbelievable how even those HFPA's with both stereo and 5.1 every which way still have room for extras.. that and I just learned they're all encrypted with BD+ so you have to turn them into MKVs before you can strip out the audio in DVDae.. it's only a couple of steps less hassle than getting an old PS3 and cracking the bloody SACDs.. for FFS in this day and age I should be able to make a copy of a Hi-Res/Surround music disc I bought for my own use in my own home - especially if the label can't/don't/won't supply a Hi-Res/Surround download as part of the package..!!!) :howl :mad: :flame :kaboom

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters, let's take the recent Simple Minds HFPA release. I feel like they could have EASILY added the three promo videos and TV performances from the DVD-A in the box to the HFPA as bonus video content. Heck they might have even had room to include all of the bonus audio from the box too. Now if they did that, they might not sell as many boxes, but they would sell more HFPAs, helping the format to rise up!
Same goes for the Tears for Fears HFPA. How incredible would it have been if they could have included the bonus audio and bonus videos on the Blu-Ray too besides just keeping them resigned to the box set.

Makes me even more grateful every time I see the contents on a Panegyric Blu-Ray release (like XTC, Yes, or King Crimson) as those truly are the benchmark for what Blu-Ray is capable of.

Got the Blu-ray Audio today from importCDs

Two words: Killer Sound!!!!!!

Better in my ears than the DualDisc (DVD Audio)

*Audio selections on all the songs and videos,

- DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- Dolby TrueHD 5.1
- PCM 2.0 Stereo

*Lyrics on the screen for each song while playing songs (visuals can be turn on and off)

*Booklet with pics, lyrics and album/blu-ray credits

Love it!!!

Play it loud!!!!!!

Highly Recommended.

Regards,

Sergio Perez-More
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/sperezmore
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=sperezmore

The short answer to this is "it's what they do." The music and record companies have a long history of bare bones releases followed at some stage by "expanded" versions. At the beginning of the CD era we had double CD albums with around 30 minutes of content on each CD at the price of two CDs. Later on we had "double-dipping" with expanded "deluxe" editions a few months after the intitial release (at least now they seem more and more to be same-day releases so at least you can make a choice). DVDs and Blu-ray movies seem to have followed the same route from bare bones originals to deluxe editions.

It's difficult to see from a record companies point of view why they would detract from expensive box set sales by including extras on a simultaneously released Blu-ray which is aimed at a "niche" market. I, for one, am very grateful that the discs have been made available separately and not just included in an expensive box set with a load of superfluous junk as with the Pink Floyd surround mixes.

If HFPA should take off then we can probably expect "expanded" versions somewhere down the line but in the meantime I'm thankful for companies like Panegyric who are actually putting out decent sounding mixes with extras and surround content which satisfy their customers. It's really nice to see people who care about the "product" they issue.

I'm a sucker for this HFPA releases and went ahead and ordered this. Should be here in a week or so I guess. I did read 1 review which was positive on Bluray.com. I hope I'm not disappointed again.

Got the Blu-ray Audio today from importCDs

Two words: Killer Sound!!!!!!

Better in my ears than the DualDisc (DVD Audio)

*Audio selections on all the songs and videos,

- DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- Dolby TrueHD 5.1
- PCM 2.0 Stereo

*Lyrics on the screen for each song while playing songs (visuals can be turn on and off)

*Booklet with pics, lyrics and album/blu-ray credits

Love it!!!

Play it loud!!!!!!

Highly Recommended.

Regards,

Sergio Perez-More
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/sperezmore
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=sperezmore

Different mastering to the dualdisc?

I've just had my order for this from UDiscover cancelled:

"We are sorry to inform you the following items have been cancelled from your order because they have been deleted by our supplier and therefore are no longer available."

Strange that it seems to have gone out of print so quickly (or maybe it's just not available in the UK any longer - Amazon US still seems to have copies).

"We are sorry to inform you the following items have been cancelled from your order because they have been deleted by our supplier and therefore are no longer available."

Strange that it seems to have gone out of print so quickly (or maybe it's just not available in the UK any longer - Amazon US still seems to have copies).
So Universal has run out of stock!!!! Crazy...... :confused:

Pretty easy to find on the US side...importcds...amazon has numerous vendors with it...amazon uk has several vendors with it..sounds like just that outlet...probably didn't get that many to sell..

Back