Sneaky declick update

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overture

QQ Supporter
Ahoy all,

I've reached my first little milestone on the declicking - a decent removal.

Currently implementing it in a simulation environment but the algorithm should let me do it in real-time in a processor, or if not completely real-time, at least less than 10ms of delay. So far, anyway.
Next will be testing it on larger passages, working out which variables will be adjustable with the strength knob, to what degree, and then I'm going to have a crack at de-crackle.
This is still early days but it's promising.

The original tiny snippet with the click and the removal is attached. Here's a visual as well:

clickwav.png

Bonus points if you can guess what album it's from. Not you, Chucky, you know the answer.

Cheers
~D (Mrs)

Attachments

• click.wav
    52.1 KB
  • declick.wav
    52.1 KB
Ahoy all,

Currently implementing it in a simulation environment but the algorithm should let me do it in real-time in a processor, or if not completely real-time, at least less than 10ms of delay. So far, anyway.
Next will be testing it on larger passages, working out which variables will be adjustable with the strength knob, to what degree, and then I'm going to have a crack at de-crackle.

The original tiny snippet with the click and the removal is attached. Here's a visual as well:

View attachment 110076

Bonus points if you can guess what album it's from. Not you, Chucky, you know the answer.

Cheers
~D (Mrs)
I do know the answer but my lips are sealed. I claim its a 100% removal, not bad for 1.5 years work I say.

Ahoy all,

View attachment 110076

Cheers
~D (Mrs)
Impressive!

Ahoy all,

View attachment 110076

Cheers
~D (Mrs)
Is the de-crackle mainly a similar but more sensitive process than de-click?

When I run my SM Quad decodes & Marantz demods thru RX 8; it takes about 4-5 minutes per channel on de-click, but approximately 20 min. for de-crackle.

Would be great to have that in real time; just hope it’s not another 1 1/2- 2 years before finished product arrives 😬

When I run my SM Quad decodes & Marantz demods thru RX 8; it takes about 4-5 minutes per channel on de-click, but approximately 20 min. for de-crackle.

Would be great to have that in real time; just hope it’s not another 1 1/2- 2 years before finished product arrives 😬
Its a slightly different process complicated by psychoacoustic masking issues meaning the crackle is masked by higher amplitude stuff in the same spectral band but is more apparent in quiet passages. The detection is slightly different also. I also hope its not another 1.5 years but things are really tight on budget issues right now but I hope to crawl out of it.

Its a slightly different process complicated by psychoacoustic masking issues meaning the crackle is masked by higher amplitude stuff in the same spectral band but is more apparent in quiet passages. The detection is slightly different also. I also hope its not another 1.5 years but things are really tight on budget issues right now but I hope to crawl out of it.
well I'm rooting for you guys, at least you can pencil me in for a SMv4 if it has those features :unsure:

the de-crackle process almost sounds like mythical snipe hunting :)

Only 1.4 years, tops.

AM radio is still a thing here, I listen to 2 local AM radio stations several times a week, although AM radio is, AFAIK, considered to be a lost cause due to the ever increasing background noise (including impulse noise), it seems to me that the declicking concepts could be applied to AM radio reception (perhaps licensed to makers of AM radios for DXing).

Kirk Bayne

AM radio is still a thing here, I listen to 2 local AM radio stations several times a week, although AM radio is, AFAIK, considered to be a lost cause due to the ever increasing background noise (including impulse noise), it seems to me that the declicking concepts could be applied to AM radio reception (perhaps licensed to makers of AM radios for DXing).

Kirk Bayne
Agreed

well I'm rooting for you guys, at least you can pencil me in for a SMv4 if it has those features :unsure:

the de-crackle process almost sounds like mythical snipe hunting :)
You seem to be under the impression that the declicker is something that Chucky intends to include in an SM upgrade - not sure that's the case. I assumed it was destined to be a standalone product. Whilst it would be useful in the SM, the big market would be the wider LP buying public (who we know have no interest in quad). That market would, by definition, not want to pay for all the extra quad stuff in an SM! Your thoughts Chucky?

You seem to be under the impression that the declicker is something that Chucky intends to include in an SM upgrade - not sure that's the case. I assumed it was destined to be a standalone product. Whilst it would be useful in the SM, the big market would be the wider LP buying public (who we know have no interest in quad). That market would, by definition, not want to pay for all the extra quad stuff in an SM! Your thoughts Chucky?
Soundfield is correct.

All recent updates on mechanics, de hiss , de click really should be moved to the parent thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/coming-mini-black-box-pre-amp-master.31261/

Some Bitch who shall remain nameless who is supposed to be an expert on all thing geeky has created new threads where it should go back to the parent.

CAN A MODERATOR WITH SOME SPARE TIME FIX THIS UP AND KILL ALL THE ADDED THREADS AND PUT THEM INTO THE PARENT??

Yes its all going into a new mini preamp, have a read above

Back