Software for retrieval of FLAC files from a corrupt HD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranasakawa

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Can anyone recommend Windows software for retrieval of my FLAC files from a corrupt external hard drive?

I did download a few programs the Western Digital website recommended however once the files were found and ready to backup I was asked for money before I could get my files.

I definitely don't trust this.

Any suggestions?

I would try Testdisk first. Have not used it for some time, probably a little more "technical" than other programs, but definitely free and I think highly regarded.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Remember that it is preferable to make a copy of the drive first and then try recovery from that copy (I think Testdisk supports that approach), because the drive can get even more corrupt with every read attempt if it is physically damaged.

Can anyone recommend Windows software for retrieval of my FLAC files from a corrupt external hard drive?

I did download a few programs the Western Digital website recommended however once the files were found and ready to backup I was asked for money before I could get my files.
Is the HDD corrupt or has it actually malfunctioned?
Is the HDD still in your computer or in a caddy of some kind?
Please confirm the HDD's make, size and model number?

Is the HDD corrupt or has it actually malfunctioned?
Is the HDD still in your computer or in a caddy of some kind?
Please confirm the HDD's make, size and model number?
I have a few different drives which strangely have the same problem

WD_Black 4TB
WD Elements 3TB
SanDisk Ultra 256 GB

All are not able to read the data but I can see they have the files still there apparently

Regards Adrian

I would try Testdisk first. Have not used it for some time, probably a little more "technical" than other programs, but definitely free and I think highly regarded.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Remember that it is preferable to make a copy of the drive first and then try recovery from that copy (I think Testdisk supports that approach), because the drive can get even more corrupt with every read attempt if it is physically damaged.
Thank you for your assistance, very much appreciated mate

How can I make a backup of the drives if my Pc can't read them?

How can I make a backup of the drives if my Pc can't read them?
You canclone the whole drive with appropriate software. The software can make a bit-wise image of the drive. You obviously need as much free space somewhere else as the drive has itself to do that. Clonezilla is a free software to do that, although it seems complex to operate. There might be others.

Having said that, as you have an issue with multiple drives, it seems to me your problem is nit a defective drive but something else. Have you tried using a different computer to access the drives, so you can rule out on which side of the cable the problem lies?

I have a few different drives which strangely have the same problem

WD_Black 4TB
WD Elements 3TB
SanDisk Ultra 256 GB
I presume you've tried using Windows own 'Error Checking' tool?

Capture.JPG

You canclone the whole drive with appropriate software. The software can make a bit-wise image of the drive. You obviously need as much free space somewhere else as the drive has itself to do that. Clonezilla is a free software to do that, although it seems complex to operate. There might be others.

Having said that, as you have an issue with multiple drives, it seems to me your problem is nit a defective drive but something else. Have you tried using a different computer to access the drives, so you can rule out on which side of the cable the problem lies?
Thank you for your help mate

I have tried multiple computers and devices to read the drives. It may be possible that my laptop is corrupting the drives but strangely other drives are working fine. Usually the older ones I have

Unfortunately it can't read the drive and asks me to format it every time I plug it in
Then try Testdisk on one of the drives. Sounds like the file system has been messed up. Testdisk should be able to either restore partitions so that Windows can see the files again, or to extract the files (which will require scanning the whole drive for data, might take a couple of hours).

I had the file system get scrambled on a HDD recently. In my case I believe I had a SAS/SATA board controller going bad.
A bad SATA cable can cause problems as well, but if you've tried on multiple pc's then probably not the culprit.

Trying to clone the drive to another and working from the clone as suggested above would be a good approach.
Also I recommend running Malwarebytes or some other good antivirus program on the other drives in the system.

I have installed test disk it is scanning one of the drives

Thank you for your help again

Back