some troubles playing iso/mkv files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea how the NAS could fit into this, but I have seem similar behavior from VLC on my desktop connected to my marantz amp. By default, the VLC player outputs to the default sound output of Windows 10, so it should work. But it doesn't - silence. But from troubleshooting I discovered that if I go to the VLC menu option Audio - Audio Device, and select the specific device (instead of it being on Default), suddenly it works.

Never got around to troubleshooting it further and have been relying on this workaround anytime I use VLC on that PC.

No idea how the NAS could fit into this, but I have seem similar behavior from VLC on my desktop connected to my marantz amp. By default, the VLC player outputs to the default sound output of Windows 10, so it should work. But it doesn't - silence. But from troubleshooting I discovered that if I go to the VLC menu option Audio - Audio Device, and select the specific device (instead of it being on Default), suddenly it works.

Never got around to troubleshooting it further and have been relying on this workaround anytime I use VLC on that PC.
So does VLC then reset to "default" when you close and restart it?

Mine doesn't. It always shows my Denon.
I started to doubt myself, so I opened and closed VLC 2-3 times and each time, I see this.

1719769630187.png

Just for grins, when you get no playback, go to the Control Panel (I keep the icon on my taskbar with Windows sometimes n utty behavior)
Select Sound, and the Sound Applet will open. Make s ure the correct device is identified. To go deeper, select the device and then click on Configure.
You can also select Properties, Advanced settings, and t urn on or off the exclusive mode settings.

• Love
Reactions: GOS
I started to doubt myself, so I opened and closed VLC 2-3 times and each time, I see this.

View attachment 107110
Ah, that's a different setting than I was referring to. I haven't tried setting it there on my problematic PC, I haven't used VLC on it in a while actually.

I was referring to setting it here:

1719772015039.png

My expectations would be that setting it to the specific device either way should operate the same, except doing it in the preferences menu you posted would be a set change that would hold when closed and opened, and setting it in the dropdown menu is a temporary change not meant to hold, but otherwise would result in the same functionality.

However, if I had a nickel for every time my expectations in software didn't align with reality...

• Haha
Since you pointed out what could be a good solution to my problem, I went ahead and changed the output directly to my marantz in the preferences settings, like the screenshot you shared. Sure enough, that fixes my VLC problem. Thanks for the help, sorry I couldn't offer much insight into your problem, but if I think of anything else to try I'll chime in again.

Just for grins, when you get no playback, go to the Control Panel (I keep the icon on my taskbar with Windows sometimes n utty behavior)
Select Sound, and the Sound Applet will open. Make s ure the correct device is identified. To go deeper, select the device and then click on Configure.
You can also select Properties, Advanced settings, and t urn on or off the exclusive mode settings.
LOL! I'm going to print off your suggestion and try it next time I get those issues. Thanks man!

I don't have a NAS, just a huge pc with 3 drive racks, so I don't know how playback differs direct from the NAS or desktop in Gene's case.
But at least in VLC, it was sort of a "set it and forget" as it always defaults to whatever sound device is detected. For me that could be the HD Audio from the motherboard HDMI or the Nvidia card's HDMI out.

Back