Steven Wilson Steven Wilson: New album 'The Overview' for early 2025

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hope he's getting back closer to his progressive rock style rather than what we've gotten from the last few solo releases. I loved the surround mixes but musically they've left me cold.

At this point with SW, I've found setting any expectation is a fool's errand. We'll get what we get, regardless of my / yours / anyone else's hopes and dreams. At this point the album is done, so my thoughts on the matter will have no impact.

The one silver lining is that he has publicly stated Future Bites was not the commercial or critical success he had hoped, and seemed to walk things back towards something more reflective of earlier works on Harmony Codex. The bit I recall about this new album that I read/heard from several months ago is that it will be along the lines of Harmony Codex, but perhaps even more "out there" likely translating to what we commoners refer to as 'more progressive'.

The thing many forget is that Insurgentes was a lot like the hodge podge on Harmony Codex (or viceversa). His heart isn't with prog as much as the melting pot of musical influences he brings to his own output.

He's added a third night at the London Palladium (the following Monday). The pre sale was an allocation of tickets that sold out. The venues themselves still had plenty of good tickets left. I was panicking on Wednesday and bought a ticket for one of the Palladium nights from those available on the pre sale. I have since bought a ticket for the second Palladium night from the venue, and they had much better availability of the good tickets than the pre sale did!
I have tickets for the second night too. Only spotted there is a third night yesterday. The Palladium is a great venue for gigs - I've seen quite a few there. I wonder if he will use rear speakers this time as he has on some previous tours? As the new album is only two long songs, perhaps he's been humming Close To The Edge and The Gates Of Delirium more lately??!

As we see by Yes and now also XTC and others in repress with Dolby Atmos, maybe time he starts also with Insurgentes and the rest of his solo work in Dolby Atmos
Probably, but I wouldn't hold my breath for too many other reissues, given he's got a new album release and tour coming up.

Unfortunately SW has stated multiple times that he's not interested in remixing his own old stuff at all.
He also said multiple times that Porcupine Tree was over... until it wasn’t. And in his book he said he’s not above lying.

I don’t think he has been lying about not interested in remixing old stuff, but I’ve never been clear on what he considers his old stuff that he’s not interested in revisiting.... All of it? PT? Solo work? Other projects he’s been involved in as the artist?

And it wouldn’t surprise me if he simply changes his mind at some point.

I’m holding out massive hope for an Atmos version of The Raven that Refused to Sing.

I don’t think he has been lying about not interested in remixing old stuff, but I’ve never been clear on what he considers his old stuff that he’s not interested in revisiting.... All of it? PT? Solo work?
I don't think about some of what he's said as "lying".
Sometimes I think he just gets a kick out of messing with our heads. LOL

Yeah. With "old stuff" he specifically meant pre-Stupid Dream releases.
I think with older PT the issue was that they were not recorded in such a way to allow for a proper multichannel remix (I could not find the source for this and I don't remember off the top of my head what the actual issue was with the original tapes, I just remember reading something about it).

I think with older PT the issue was that they were not recorded in such a way to allow for a proper multichannel remix (I could not find the source for this and I don't remember off the top of my head what the actual issue was with the original tapes, I just remember reading something about it).

That's my understanding as well. He's apparently not too proud of those albums anymore.

Back