Steven Wilson's 20 Favorite British Rock Albums (One of Them Remixed to 5.1 by Stephen W Tayler)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
https://www.loudersound.com/features/steven-wilson-best-british-albums

Interesting is #2 on the list, remixed to 5.1 last year by Stephen W Tayler and this remix is phenomenal

Hawkwind - In Search Of Space (1971)
"It’s an extraordinary whirlpool of cosmic sound, the definitive space-rock statement. I love the album’s repetitive, almost pagan feel. It dispensed with the idea of soloists, and has a real sense of ‘otherness’. Hawkwind were the first band I saw live – on the Levitation tour [1980] – and In Search Of Space just left me wondering how those amazing sounds had been created." Funny how Stephen W Tayler remixed to 5.1 one of Steven Wilson's favorite British rock albums!

well - these were his choices back in 2008, so who knows what he thinks today!!

'Back in 2008 we published Classic Rock’s guide to the 100 Greatest British Rock Albums Ever, consulting a panel of DJs, critics, photographers, musicians and promoters. We asked everyone to compile their Top 20, and these were Steven Wilson's choices. Ask him again today we'd probably get an entirely different 20, but hey, that's the nature of things.'

Would you have a similar list of your own favourite "20 British rock bands", Stephen?
Well - it is not about favourite bands, it is favourite British rock albums. I don't tend to think about particular genres, so my favourites would have to probably be most influential albums, especially from my early years........ would have to think that through!

Well - it is not about favourite bands, it is favourite British rock albums. I don't tend to think about particular genres, so my favourites would have to probably be most influential albums, especially from my early years........ would have to think that through!

I'd love to see your list!

Oops, yes, favourite albums. I'm sure others would like to see your list too.

I'd love to see your list!
It is quite difficult for me to come up with such a list. I look upon it more as British artists/acts rather than bands, and not just ‘rock’. These are some favourite and influential albums that I would listen to in their entirety - particular favourite songs or singles would be a completely different list.

As you can see most of this comes from my earlier years and before I was actually involved in the recording industry - once I started working I stopped listening to so much newer material as I never wanted to be too affected by current trends, I always wanted to look for originality where possible, and not get stuck in any particular genres or styles.

So - 20 favourites:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Cream - Disraeli Gears (1967)
The Beatles - The White Album (1968)
Pink Floyd - Umma Gumma (1969)
The Who - Tommy (1969)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (1969)
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
Soft Machine - Third (1970)
Emerson Lake & Palmer - ELP (1970)
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1971)
Yes - The Yes Album (1971)
Genesis - Nursery Cryme (1971)
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame (1971)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (1973)
Supertramp - Crime of the Century (1974)
Camel - Music Inspired by The Snow Goose (1975)
The Buggles - The Age of Plastic (1979)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980)
Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love (1985)
Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

SWTx

Obviously many of these have seen new mixes, many in surround - and of course Wilson importantly remade The Yes Album!

Last edited:
So - 20 favourites...
Many thanks for the list. I find it's much closer to what I would pick than Wilson's, and perhaps that's due to the age difference. When you were mixing at Trident in the mid-70s, Wilson was still in school. Likewise, when I was 13 (in 1972), the records released around then were the jewels of prog rock; when Wilson was 13 it was 1980 so he was hearing something quite different with new releases.

Cheers for taking time out to do your list.

P.S. "Electric Moo" is Atom Heart Mother?

Last edited:
Many thanks @Stephen W Tayler! I was especially curious about your post-1975 choices, as (for me anyway) it would be a bit less predictable there. I was happy to see The Buggles there.

PS: I also thought initially that "Electric Moo" would be referring to Atom Heart Mother :ROFLMAO:

As much as I love the music of Steven Wilson, his tastes in music and favorites are so different than mine. He has weird tastes for me but maybe not for others. While I can understand that he enjoys more experimental music than the majority, I found it odd that he doesn't like Genesis. I would be curious to know if can expand on why he dislike Genesis

I found it odd that he doesn't like Genesis. I would be curious to know if can expand on why he dislike Genesis

I might be an exception but to me it was kinda refreshing to find out that someone else out there didn't like Genesis despite being very much into prog. 70's prog is my fav music and I adore so many bands from that scene (Yes being #1 for me) but I always had a hard time with Genesis. On paper, they have every single musical element that I should love, but in practice it doesn't happen. I especially struggle with Peter Gabriel's vocal delivery. I always felt he was trying to bite off more than he could chew, when it comes to singing, and ended up sounding horribly strained way too often, to the extent he makes me cringe. I generally find the sound quality of their albums unpleasant, too.

That said, there are a few moments here and there in their discography that I find utterly sublime, Supper's Ready in particular (from start to finish), in spite of Gabriel smashing my eardrums without mercy during the song's climax 🫨

I've tried so much for years and years to enjoy Genesis because I almost felt like something was wrong with me not liking them while being a proghead, but you can't force things I suppose. The thing is, when they do something I like, I REALLY like it, as in the example above. It just doesn't happen very often. For instance, I also find the ending mellotron section of Seven Stones truly magical. Possibly my favorite mellotron section in music.

Back