Stop Making Sense to get a new 4K theatrical run, courtesy of A24 (with E.T. Thorngren Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And speaking of A24 collector's edition exclusives- 4 years since release and still the only way to obtain Ari Aster's 4k director's cut of this amazing horror film is to buy that expensive A24 store exclusive digibook...
FYI - I purchased Midsommar in a region B, 2 disc blu-ray set (containing both theatrical and director's cuts on separate discs) from Amazon US for only $22. PQ and audio were excellent. You do need either a region free blu-ray player or the ability to rip to mkv or full backup folder to play, but in my view, both are essential to deal with ridiculous region codes anyway. I just checked and the same set is still available new for $23 and less than $10 used!

FYI - I purchased Midsommar in a region B, 2 disc blu-ray set (containing both theatrical and director's cuts on separate discs) from Amazon US for only $22. PQ and audio were excellent. You do need either a region free blu-ray player or the ability to rip to mkv or full backup folder to play, but in my view, both are essential to deal with ridiculous region codes anyway. I just checked and the same set is still available new for $23 and less than $10 used!

But that ain't 4k @srbjab. Besides the higher resolution, the wider color palette of HDR is really nice on A24's first rate 4k transfer...

But that ain't 4k @srbjab. Besides the higher resolution, the wider color palette of HDR is really nice on A24's first rate 4k transfer...
I ordered the A24 Midsommar together with Stop Making Sense, The Green Knight and Pi, because of the high shipping price for just one title. But as I actually prefer the theatrical cut of Midsommar, I also managed to get my mitts on the Canadian 4K UHD, as that has English subtitles!

IMG_7960.jpg

I finally rationalized in my head the purchase of this, one of my favorite movies ever and live album as well. So much rationalized I bought the POS (Point of Sale, not the brown acronym!) book Dance Like Me for $6 bringing the total to MA $78.

My 4K arrived this morning. I immediately ripped and decoded the 7.1.4 TrueHD Atmos mix and get this info for the extended cut (18 songs - the two extras included):

Code:
Statistics for: Stop Making Sense-SF_01_SMS_Ext_t13
Duration:       99:42
Dynamic Range:  DR18

Channel 1    Channel 2    Channel 3    Channel 4    Channel 5    Channel 6    Channel 7    Channel 8    Channel 9   Channel 10   Channel 11   Channel 12
Peak Value:      -6.48 dB     -6.76 dB     -2.00 dB    -12.63 dB    -11.44 dB    -12.61 dB    -11.20 dB    -12.32 dB    -18.23 dB    -14.12 dB    -21.03 dB    -20.04 dB
Avg RMS:        -30.17 dB    -29.84 dB    -24.04 dB    -35.90 dB    -36.08 dB    -36.25 dB    -38.15 dB    -39.03 dB    -46.78 dB    -46.85 dB    -48.50 dB    -49.58 dB
DR channel:          DR17         DR17         DR16         DR17         DR17         DR17         DR19         DR19         DR19         DR20         DR19         DR22

L,R,C,LFE,SL,SR,BL,BR,TFL,TFR,TBL,TBR

Back