Supertramp - CRIME OF THE CENTURY - Where is it?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you JUST have the MoFi Gold CD which is 44.1/16bit, the BD~A is LOSSLESS and should better the CD by a considerable margin. Just played the BD~A the other day and I can attest it sounds FABULOUS...as it should @ 192kHz/24b resolution!

R.c4dbfa20a634ddde0996f42b6c8c5d18
It all comes down to mastering. Resolution is a distant second in terms of enjoyment and quality.

DIVOS ....THE WHOLE LOT!

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to suffer REAR CHANNEL SILENCE!

And NO TINY TIM in 5.1 ..... IMO, THE Crime of the Century!!!!!!!

<photo deleted>
:unsure: Tiny Tim sounds way too Gnomic :ROFLMAO:

............ and yes I can remember "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" ............. unfortunately!

:unsure: Tiny Tim sounds way too Gnomic :ROFLMAO:

............ and yes I can remember "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" ............. unfortunately!
and of huge concern......you are not alone Duncan!! :D

singer Tiny Tim made the song a novelty hit[1] by singing it on the debut episode of the popular American television show Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In.[2][3]

The song was revived in 1967 by the California rock group the Humane Society and in 1968 by Tiny Tim, whose version charted at number 17 in the US that year, becoming his signature song, which he would continue to perform throughout his career. The song was also later covered by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

But it's not all bad as the following testifies:
The song was used in Sinkin' in the Bathtub, the first Looney Tunes cartoon short, in 1930

That's All Folks!!

Last edited:
and of huge concern......you are not alone Pups!! :D

singer Tiny Tim made the song a novelty hit[1] by singing it on the debut episode of the popular American television show Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In.[2][3]

The song was revived in 1967 by the California rock group the Humane Society and in 1968 by Tiny Tim, whose version charted at number 17 in the US that year, becoming his signature song, which he would continue to perform throughout his career. The song was also later covered by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

The song was used in Sinkin' in the Bathtub, the first Looney Tunes cartoon short, in 1930

That's All Folks!!

Mike, I had mentioned this before on the forum but in my younger and more vulnerable college days, my dear friend Pam brought Tiny Tim to our college and I sat two feet away from him as he personally serenaded us, ukulele in hand, with a half hour concert including Tip Toe Through The Tulips....he was absolutely charming and referrred to me as Mr. Ralph. And then of course on the evening of December 17th, 1969, Tiny Tim married Miss Vicki Budinger LIVE on the Johnny Carson Show, at which time my father, always the practical joker, broke out a bottle of Pink🍾 Champagne as we celebrated the nuptials in the comfort of our home.

Mike, I had mentioned this before on the forum but in my younger and more vulnerable college days, my dear friend Pam brought Tiny Tim to our college and I sat two feet away from him as he personally serenaded us, ukulele in hand, with a half hour concert including Tip Toe Through The Tulips....he was absolutely charming and referrred to me as Mr. Ralph.
Can we call you Mr. Ralph from now on? :love:

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

and of huge concern......you are not alone Pups!! :D

That's All Folks!!
Vvveree inter resting!
LaughIn-Very Interesting.jpg

Edit: I think I first heard Tiny Tim do it on the Laugh In, which also makes me think of Goldie Hawn.................

It all comes down to mastering. Resolution is a distant second in terms of enjoyment and quality.

I'd say it's a combination of both.......Always been a fan of the MoFi Gold CDs but do keep in mind the 24k Gold Plating had nothing to do with the sound ....it guaranteed longevity over the standard silver variety but there are limitations with 44.1/16 bit resolution. If you can find the Supertramp BD~A of Crime of the Century at a canny price, I'd say GO FOR IT. You certainly won't be disappointed!

Found this concise write up for the Blu Ray:

The market for a blu ray audio version of this great album would probably be limited to those wanting the best sound available and are happy to duplicate their existing remastered CD copies with this goal in mind. I compared the 2002 CD remaster with the blu ray audio and initially was not overly impressed.The CD sounded cleaner with more dynamics.I then switched the sound from DTS MA to Dolby Digital HD.What a difference.The music suddenly came to life and was what I had hoped for.Big,full and balanced.

The down side to this Blu Ray Audio version is the complete lack of any extra tracks and liner notes which you get on the 40th anniversary CD recently released and for me they missed a golden opportunity in not doing a 5.1 surround mix as well as the stereo.They need to take heed of the numerous requests of customers wanting more than just a better stereo mix.An example of this done right is the Steven Wilson remasters of some classic `Yes' and `XTC' albums and also `Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair" which surprisingly is a Universal release so why not this one.One day maybe.

So yes this is probably the best this album will ever sound in a digital format.Can't comment on the vinyl releases.I would be interested in hearing if anyone else found the Dolby HD superior to the DTS MA.

Remember Mr. Ralph, most people say 16/44.1 is all that’s needed. So, you’re beating a dead horse and will, most likely, be challenged on whether HiRes is necessary for playback.

View attachment 70087

I cannot argue with you on that, Perp .... as TO EACH HIS OWN....but for more HORSE🐎POWER and on high end equipment ....... I've always found the higher res remaster more intoxicating.

Analogue Productions has in recent years remastered previous DDD PCM Recordings recorded at 44.1/16 to higher res Stereo SACD and a comparison has NO DOUBT IN MY MIND favored the AP Stereo SACD over the previous 44.1/16 bit RBCD. The original RBCDs sounded excellent but IMO, were improved upon when the limitations and brick wall filtering applied to the CD 'standard' were eliminated. Keep in mind that Dire Straits' BROTHERS IN ARMS was an original all DDD recording [44.1/16 bit] and we ALL know how brilliant that albums sounds in MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24!

Back