The quandary: do I move on from my superb sounding 5.1 setup to be able to enjoy the latest surround technology? Thoughts/experiences welcome.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you need a different layout of speakers for Auro 3D vs Atmos or DTS:X. Well that sucks. Most people have a hard enough time fitting Atmos speakers into their room, adding another set is just ridiculous.
No, as I said I’ve solved any potential hole in the ceiling with top middles but it’s very room size dependent. Basically 7.x.6. With the height layer being at roughly 30 degrees, 90 degrees and 150 degrees (relative to listener horizon, of course). Sounds great with all immersive content. The Dolby helicopter demo is spot on.

So you need a different layout of speakers for Auro 3D vs Atmos or DTS:X.
Well if you want the layout perfect according the Dolby and Auro intentions, yes.
But isn't that the normal results of pursuing "perfection"?
OTOH I set up my 4 overheads according to Dolby Atmos details, and Auro 3D playback still sounds excellent to me. Considering the small numbers of Auro available, I'm satisfied.

Hi Sal getting Auro 3d movies and concerts is hard to come by. I have found about 6 movies and one concert. I am getting these from Germany. I am not a big fan of prince but his sign of times concert is amazing in Auro 11.1 The difference between Auro 3d and Dolby atmos is more than I imagined. Atmos engages you in the concert while Auro 3d puts you in the concert. YOU ARE THERE. I was hoping when I joined others could help in finding where we could get Auro 3d disc
Their music may or may not be to your taste but the 2L label is big on both Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D. Their releases also uniformly sound phenomenal.

Well if you want the layout perfect according the Dolby and Auro intentions, yes.
But isn't that the normal results of pursuing "perfection"?
OTOH I set up my 4 overheads according to Dolby Atmos details, and Auro 3D playback still sounds excellent to me. Considering the small numbers of Auro available, I'm satisfied.
I always assumed that the real lure of Auro 3D was Auromatic upmixing. It does sound great with my Smyth Realiser A16 (a virtual surround sound device).

I wonder how you and @Deanmad would experience Auro 3D without the VOG speaker once you had experienced Auro 3D with it? I’m sure that it depends to some extent on the mix but, either way, it would be nigh impossible to “unhear it.” 🤔

I have a 5.0 system, and using Auro to upmix stereo to 5.0 is distinctly underwhelming.
I totally get that. I have the luxury of upmixing from stereo to 9.1, 11.1 or 13.1 with my virtual system that also includes a VOG speaker, so my mileage does indeed vary quite significantly from yours. Incidentally, my system doesn’t offer the option of upmixing to any Auro 3D configuration less than 9.1. Yes, I know that I’m fortunate to have what I have. My speaker system is 5.1 with one subwoofer.

I have 2L's Nordic Brass Ensemble: European Tour and both the playing and recording quality are superb.
If your into Big Band and horns, The BBB Featuring Bernie Dresel has at least 3 albums out using Auro 3D with superb sound quality.
https://www.berniedresel.com/bbb-albums-all
Also along that line is Big Phat Bands - The Gordian Knot
https://www.bigphatband.com/

OTOH, Prog rock maestro A Bad Think just recently released Cottonwood, available for download in Auro-3D from IAA.

One of the things I love about Auro 3D is it can be embedded in a normal Flac file and played back by just about any media player without any special configurations needed.

Last edited:
One of the things I love about Auro 3D is it can be embedded in a normal Flac file and played back by just about any media player without any special configurations needed.
Boy I wish. I have three media players (Zidoo Z9X, Ugoos AM6b+ with Corelec and a Sony X800M2 bluray player) and the Auro 3D extra channels in an embedded flac are only recognized by the Sony (via USB in). The other two play the core layer but not the Auro 3D. I'm assuming its my players and not my Lyngdorf prepro (since the Sony works) but am open to any suggestions. Morten thinks it's some non-bit-perfect setting on these other players, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Reactions: mkt
Boy I wish. I have three media players (Zidoo Z9X, Ugoos AM6b+ with Corelec and a Sony X800M2 bluray player) and the Auro 3D extra channels in an embedded flac are only recognized by the Sony (via USB in). The other two play the core layer but not the Auro 3D. I'm assuming its my players and not my Lyngdorf prepro (since the Sony works) but am open to any suggestions. Morten thinks it's some non-bit-perfect setting on these other players, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
I would check the Lyngdorf pre/pro. Often both my Marantz 7703 and my current Denon X4700H at times do not "automaticaly" recognize and switch to Auro 3D. Many times when I look at the Denons "INFO" it simply shows PCM as the Input Signal and the Sound/Active Speakers as whatever it was last set to. But manually changing to Auro 3D and the whole system then recognizes the Signal as Auro-3D/PCM and correctly decodes the output "Sound/Active Speakers".
This inability for Auro 3D signals to correctly automagicaly detect has been my experience since my very first days with it on D-M gear. Don't know it will be the same with you or not?
YMMV
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

I hear you. At first, when I encountered these issues with embedded flac I looked heavily into the Lyngdorf. Auro 3D is never automatic, and the MP-40 has several Auro settings. Without experience, one could assume it's playing fine when it's simply up processing DTS. But if you watch the input signal, the successful ones show "Auro" as input, not DTS. Anyway, it is now clear to me, though, that the Lyngdorf is likely not the problem. The Sony into the Lyngdorf is failsafe for these files. And MKVs play just fine.

Anyway, it is now clear to me, though, that the Lyngdorf is likely not the problem.
No not your Lyngdorf or my D-M.
It's something at the heart of the Auro codec that doesn't have a correctly functioning autodetect system.. BTW I forgot to mention your using BD players as a source, me ripped flacs on a Linux desktop computer played thru the simplest of flac media players "Strawberry".
The fact that we and many others I talked to all experience the same issues IMHO points directly to the Auro coding for the source of the issues. ;)

BTW, Just thought I'd mention, I haven't found Atmos to be 100% accurately auto detected.
It's pretty dang good, but for sure not perfect IME

BTW, Just thought I'd mention, I haven't found Atmos to be 100% accurately auto detected.
It's pretty dang good, but for sure not perfect IME
Ok but for me it’s in the high 90s. That’s almost bulletproof. But Auro is certainly a bit more problematic. Even at Native, some of our most award-winning label partners have, in the past, had issues producing consistent Auro 3D encoded embedded flac. But I love the sound, once they do. 😀

I totally get that. I have the luxury of upmixing from stereo to 9.1, 11.1 or 13.1 with my virtual system that also includes a VOG speaker, so my mileage does indeed vary quite significantly from yours. Incidentally, my system doesn’t offer the option of upmixing to any Auro 3D configuration less than 9.1. Yes, I know that I’m fortunate to have what I have. My speaker system is 5.1 with one subwoofer.
I quite enjoy my stereo CDs auro 3D upmixed to my 5.1.4 system, but I have found that some stereo CDs are better than others. For example, I recently played a Ryuichi Sakamoto CD and it sounded terrific, but then another time I played The Clash's Bring 'Em Enough Rope, and that was only OK. But still, I feel Auro 3D has opened my extensive stereo collection in a new way for me, which is nice.

I also like all these new quad discs (Rhino and DV) upmixed this way. Auro 3D preserves the Quad, ignoring my centre channel (unlike when it mixes stereo) but includes the ceiling speakers in an atmospheric way.

I quite enjoy my stereo CDs auro 3D upmixed to my 5.1.4 system, but I have found that some stereo CDs are better than others.
I've always enjoyed the Auro upmixer but it's never been a "always best" situation.
It changes over time and with the source album. Auros got a bunch of config options to mess with, etc. Good thing it's stupid easy to click thru the options and stop on the one that sounds best. ;)

Back