Supertramp - CRIME OF THE CENTURY - Where is it?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there was this one app (maybe a couple) back 20 some years ago that did a really poor artifact riddled job of sample rate conversion. GoldenWave or a similar name. Popular in sharing and concert recording sharing circles in the early days. And now forever more... 44.1k sucks, all conversions suck, 16 bit automatically sucks...
48k? Wait... that's smaller than 96k... yeah ok, that sucks too!

That's one of the bits. The other is simply wanting to hear an intentional mix as opposed to something generated or upmixed or downmixed. If someone doesn't have the extra Atmos channels yet, well any Atmos mix is automatically sour grapes. Guaranteed to just suck, right? :D
But a downmix from that? Oh, hell no! I digress but wanting an intentional mix that someone made while listening to it on the same speaker array over something downmixed by algorithm is pretty straightforward and reasonable.

What were we talking about again? Sample rate crimes of the century?
Yeah, if there's any way to settle down the musicians involved here (which doesn't look good) a surround mix of this album and a few others would be pretty great!

Here's my off-the-wall idea for a surround sound version of Crime of the Century:

Run the best stereo copy through a Surround Master decoder (using the Sansui QS decode mode) to derive a 4.0 version.

Run the best stereo copy through a Hafler/DynaQuad decoder to derive a 4.0 version (LB and RB would have the same content since H/D only derives 1 surround channel).

I suggest this because A/V receivers built since 2014 don't have Dolby Pro-Logic decoders, putting the stereo + QS derived + H/D derived versions on one disc would give listeners without good ways to derive surround sound from stereo a way to hear Crime of the Century in surround sound.

Kirk Bayne

Back