Tears for fears announcement - Songs for a Nervous Planet (live) SDE Blu-Ray with SW Atmos Mix Oct 25th, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With shipping to the U.S. and after currency conversion, this order came to $45.07. Not that this kept me from ordering it, mind you. But it's getting harder and harder for me to justify getting SDE releases unless it's something I really want. (Like this.)
Agree 100%. That's precisely what it cost me, too. And, like you, it didn't stop me from pre-ordering. However, I have definitely become more selective about making SDE purchases. I think Paul and company do great work but there needs to be a better, more cost effective way to get their product across the pond and into the hands of their many U.S. customers. One way to accomplish this is for them to partner with a distributer in the U.S. that would help to reduce the exorbitant $11-$12 shipping charge for a single Blu-ray disc. Also, making Americans pay VAT adds insult to injury. I can see charging U.S. customers normal sales tax if necessary, but you're talking about a $2-$3 additional charge versus the $10-$12 that currently gets tacked on to each individual Blu-ray order. Here again, with a U.S. distribution partner for their product, it should remove the VAT situation from the equation. I'm just spitballing, but there are some sites I frequent that don't pass on VAT to Americans and also offer tiered shipping options so the customer can choose the option that works best for them. Like I say, SDE is an excellent boutique label and they produce wonderful products. I just wish there was a more cost effective way to get them. As always, YMMV.

Agree 100%. That's precisely what it cost me, too. And, like you, it didn't stop me from pre-ordering. However, I have definitely become more selective about making SDE purchases. I think Paul and company do great work but there needs to be a better, more cost effective way to get their product across the pond and into the hands of their many U.S. customers. One way to accomplish this is for them to partner with a distributer in the U.S. that would help to reduce the exorbitant $11-$12 shipping charge for a single Blu-ray disc. Also, making Americans pay VAT adds insult to injury. I can see charging U.S. customers normal sales tax if necessary, but you're talking about a $2-$3 additional charge versus the $10-$12 that currently gets tacked on to each individual Blu-ray order. Here again, with a U.S. distribution partner for their product, it should remove the VAT situation from the equation. I'm just spitballing, but there are some sites I frequent that don't pass on VAT to Americans and also offer tiered shipping options so the customer can choose the option that works best for them. Like I say, SDE is an excellent boutique label and they produce wonderful products. I just wish there was a more cost effective way to get them. As always, YMMV.

I could claim the same for EU. The total BD cost after Brexit and shipping is even a little bit higher in Euros.
But I accept it as it is, living as a privileged fan, in this global world.

Just in case anyone's skeptical (already saw the obligatory 'I won't buy this because live albums in surround just have the band in front and reverb in the back' comment on SHF), the concert tracks in Atmos are about as good as it gets. I think this may be Steven Wilson's best surround mix of live material to date, it's really adventurous - distinct elements like keys, percussion, background vocals, etc consistently appear throughout the side, rear, and height speakers. You can already hear from the released "Sowing The Seeds of Love" clip that the sound quality is excellent. Plus, it's a thrill to finally hear material from Elemental and Happy Ending in surround.

With shipping to the U.S. and after currency conversion, this order came to $45.07. Not that this kept me from ordering it, mind you. But it's getting harder and harder for me to justify getting SDE releases unless it's something I really want. (Like this.)
Agree, it's a lot. I'm hesitating now with hitting the "buy" button...

Just in case anyone's skeptical (already saw the obligatory 'I won't buy this because live albums in surround just have the band in front and reverb in the back' comment on SHF), the concert tracks in Atmos are about as good as it gets. I think this may be Steven Wilson's best surround mix of live material to date, it's really adventurous - distinct elements like keys, percussion, background vocals, etc consistently appear throughout the side, rear, and height speakers. You can already hear from the released "Sowing The Seeds of Love" clip that the sound quality is excellent. Plus, it's a thrill to finally hear material from Elemental and Happy Ending in surround.
Oh man, that's great to hear because I love his Atmos mix on the live Porcupine Tree disc.

The price after currency exchange (USD to Pound) actually did prevent me from ordering this, a lot of releases this Fall and I'm only in this for the 4 new tracks. I'll wait for a digital download or CD at a discount sometime down the road.

So here's my problem with this release. From the description, Songs For A Nervous Planet is an album of live "highlights" from the Tipping Point tour (meaning cherry picked performances), but without any video, for about $45, in the US. The package is sweetened with four new, previously unreleased, studio tracks (along with instrumentals of these), all mixed by SW in Atmos plus 5.1. It's a very attractive package no doubt, BUT, on October 24 they will release Tears For Fears Live (A Tipping Point Film) which will be a full sound plus video concert, undoubtedly including most if not more of the same material. I expect a blu-ray release will shortly follow. That is the release I most want to have, where I can see the stage show and see the band in action. It's likely that the new studio tracks will not be included on the concert film release, but for me, being able to see the band perform outweighs getting 4 new studio tracks in surround. If I were made of money I'd obviously get both releases, but since I'm not, I'm going with the live release that lets me hear and see the band. Plus, I don't think the upcoming concert film blu-ray will be an exclusive import.

I'm a bit leary of "live" recordings in 5.1 multichannel. Up till now the additional channals are usually mixed mainly as crowd participation. Will a "live" Atmos recording be different? I would hope with SW doing the mix ... it could be.

So here's my problem with this release. From the description, Songs For A Nervous Planet is an album of live "highlights" from the Tipping Point tour (meaning cherry picked performances), but without any video, for about $45, in the US. The package is sweetened with four new, previously unreleased, studio tracks (along with instrumentals of these), all mixed by SW in Atmos plus 5.1. It's a very attractive package no doubt, BUT, on October 24 they will release Tears For Fears Live (A Tipping Point Film) which will be a full sound plus video concert, undoubtedly including most if not more of the same material. I expect a blu-ray release will shortly follow. That is the release I most want to have, where I can see the stage show and see the band in action. It's likely that the new studio tracks will not be included on the concert film release, but for me, being able to see the band perform outweighs getting 4 new studio tracks in surround. If I were made of money I'd obviously get both releases, but since I'm not, I'm going with the live release that lets me hear and see the band. Plus, I don't think the upcoming concert film blu-ray will be an exclusive import.

I agree with some of your points as I would love to see the whole concert as well but what we don't know yet is the concert that we receive on Bluray your standard type where you have band's music coming from the front and audience noise in the rears as if that's the case then this SDE is way,way better as Jonathan has already explained that this is a really well done live presentation with music all around.

I like concert videos but I find I watch them once and I usually do not revisit them again whereas a great surround like ones we have received from SW as well as Roy Orbison live(done by Elliot Scheiner) I have listened to these live surround alot of times as they are that good.

That you get a bonus 4 studio songs is fantastic.

Last edited:
So here's my problem with this release. From the description, Songs For A Nervous Planet is an album of live "highlights" from the Tipping Point tour (meaning cherry picked performances),
To set this misconception straight, I compared the track listing of this upcoming release with the actual setlist from the Franklin, TN, show (which is identical to when I saw TFF near Chicago on that tour). There were 19 songs performed that night, and there are 18 live songs on the new release. The sole song that was cut is "End of Night." Frankly, if I had to choose one song to be cut, that would be it -- especially if cutting it meant getting a new studio song instead.

So "highlights" from the concert on the new release means "everything performed that night except for one song." I guess they have to say that for legal reasons, but it's hardly egregious.

Something else different I noticed in the new clip above is that they used three female backup singers for the live recording, instead of the just one (two different vocalists depending on the night) on the first part of the tour.

To set this misconception straight, I compared the track listing of this upcoming release with the actual setlist from the Franklin, TN, show (which is identical to when I saw TFF near Chicago on that tour). There were 19 songs performed that night, and there are 18 live songs on the new release. The sole song that was cut is "End of Night." Frankly, if I had to choose one song to be cut, that would be it -- especially if cutting it meant getting a new studio song instead.

So "highlights" from the concert on the new release means "everything performed that night except for one song." I guess they have to say that for legal reasons, but it's hardly egregious.

Something else different I noticed in the new clip above is that they used three female backup singers for the live recording, instead of the just one (two different vocalists depending on the night) on the first part of the tour.
FYI - I took highlights to mean best performances from multiple shows, not necessarily picking specific songs. It remains to be seen what the setlist is for the upcoming concert film. In any case, everyone's mileage varies on live recordings. For me, seeing a band perform is one of the biggest attractions of a live recording. Otherwise, I prefer studio recordings.

I see from SDE site that they mention Target has even a 5th studio song and see Paul Sinclair is trying to see if it can get added.

It’s a studio track called ‘Landlocked’,

Paul, any chance of getting this track added to the SDE Blu-ray?

Paul answered:

I’m trying to make this happen…

Heard anything about the Seeds of Love re-release?

Just a matter of interest, has Steven Wilson done any live album mixes in the past?
Yes, mostly his own music but a few for other artists too:

2006 - Porcupine Tree Arriving Somewhere...
2007 - Blackfield Live In NYC
2008 - Porcupine Tree Anesthetize
2009 - No-Man Mixtaped
2012 - Steven Wilson Get All You Deserve
2012 - The Aristocrats Boing, We'll Do It Live!
2018 - Steven Wilson Home Invasion: Live At The Royal Albert Hall
2020 - Jethro Tull Live In Los Angeles 1980 (in the A bookset)
2020 - Steve Hackett Selling England By The Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live At Hammersmith
2021 - Jetho Tull Live In Tanglewood 1970 (in the Benefit bookset)
2022 - Grateful Dead Europe '72
2023 - Jethro Tull Live In Germany 1982 (in the Broadsword bookset)
2023 - Porcupine Tree Closure/Continuation Live
2024 - Jethro Tull Bursting Out & Live At Madison Square Garden 1978

Back