The All Jethro Tull Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might not be the appropriate place to ask and I'll understand if this is deleted.

Have any audience recordings from 1972 or 1973 (Brick and Passion Play tours) that have maybe above average fidelity been unearthed?

The band maybe has one board tape from 1973? (With one track released on 25 Years of JT set.)
Have any audience recordings from 1972 or 1973 (Brick and Passion Play tours) that have maybe above average fidelity been unearthed? I wish!

50 years ago today: most exciting rock show in my entire life, Jethro Tull’s “A Passion Play”

The Five Heaviest Prog Rock Bands of All Time

Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick (1972)​

Obviously, Jethro Tull began their reign as the leading ambassadors of progressive folk/rock with 1971’s Aqualung (thanks to “Mother Goose,” “My God,” “Wond’ring Aloud” and course, “Aqualung”). It didn’t completely represent that designation, though, whereas follow-up Thick as a Brick did. By forgoing much of their prior hard/blues rock forcefulness in favor of delivering a majestic 44-minute tongue-in-cheek conceptual piece (broken into two halves), Thick as a Brick aided in popularizing more than a few key prog rock properties.

Created in part as a satire of the style’s extravagancies, Thick as a Brick’s fictional tale of a schoolboy who writes a newsworthy poem actually houses some profound insights about the journey from childhood to adulthood. Beyond that, both “Part One” and “Part Two” see frontman/mastermind Ian Anderson and company creating some of the most delightfully hypnotic and ambitious music and melodies in the genre’s history.

There are also a handful of recurring themes spread across its runtime, and if not for 1973’s divisive work of genius (A Passion Play), Thick as a Brick would absolutely be Jethro Tull’s magnum opus.

Back