The Best of The Doors Quadradisc - Which Label Do You Have?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Label Variations do you own of The Best of the Doors?

• White Label with "New" Elektra Logo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This was one of the best selling quad albums of the '70s, mostly because it was released ONLY as a quad album (Single Inventory). Consequently, it was sold in many stores and shops throughout the land that did not even have a quad section, much like the DSOTM & Rolling Stone SACDs.

As far as I know, there were 4 label variations (plus the stereo record club issue). I was hoping that since many of the quad collectors here are sure to have at least one copy of this album, you could respond to this poll and let us know which label you have.

If you have more than one copy, please select ALL of the labels that you own.

Thanks for your cooperation. (PS - in this poll, you can see who voted for what. Click the numbers to see!)

Attachments

• doorssticker1.jpg
    doorssticker1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 392
I have another variation of the label. It's white and has a round black-red Elektra symbol on top. It says Quadradisc on the right hand side it is CD-4 and it looks rather new. I've added a scan as an attachment to this thread.

Attachments

• Doors Quad5.jpg
    Doors Quad5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 418
Very nice! Thanks a lot for the scan. I had no idea that Elektra used their "new" logo on a quadradisc. These have to be pretty rare!

I added the scan to the WB label page

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Thanks again for the scan, "quad4all"!!!

Wow! That's cool...when was this label used? I remember seeing it on some releases in the late 80's ('87? '88?), so they must have been pressing this album until almost the '90s. Can anyone confirm? Or sell me a copy (heh heh)?

I wonder if the CD-4 carrier is still usable on these? Could the stampers have degraded over time? I doubt many folks were buying this LP for the CD-4 signal when this label appeared. I myself will be on the eBay lookout for this one! :D

JonUrban said:
This was one of the best selling quad albums of the '70s, mostly because it was released ONLY as a quad album (Single Inventory). Consequently, it was sold in many stores and shops throughout the land that did not even have a quad section, much like the DSOTM & Rolling Stone SACDs.

As far as I know, there were 4 label variations (plus the stereo record club issue). I was hoping that since many of the quad collectors here are sure to have at least one copy of this album, you could respond to this poll and let us know which label you have.

If you have more than one copy, please select ALL of the labels that you own.

Thanks for your cooperation. (PS - in this poll, you can see who voted for what. Click the numbers to see!)

:alienrob:
There is also a blue label !!!!

Send or post a scan, I will add it to the WB page.

JonUrban said:
Send or post a scan, I will add it to the WB page.

:alienrob: :alienrob: :alienrob: :alienrob:
Sorry I do NOT have it !!!!, I just saw it FOR SURE few years back. Did look exactly like the red one but in blue, didn't buy it as I thought it was too expensive, $30 at that time, and since then I didn't travel so much. All I can do if interested is to send scans of the 2 DIFFERENT Q8's, but I suppose you already know this. Well you still have to look for that BLUE label one, maybe by doing so you will find still another different label, who knows (well at least there is the test pressing copy to look for too). I have the Taiwanese copy. Of course I will let you know if I see a picture... of the blue label copy. Still good searching !!!!
PS
Jon, there are 2 variations WB labels, also 2 variations Discreet labels.

Last edited:
kvadro said:
:alienrob: :alienrob: :alienrob: :alienrob:
Sorry I do NOT have it !!!!, I just saw it FOR SURE few years back. Did look exactly like the red one but in blue, didn't buy it as I thought it was too expensive, $30 at that time, and since then I didn't travel so much. All I can do if interested is to send scans of the 2 DIFFERENT Q8's, but I suppose you already know this. Well you still have to look for that BLUE label one, maybe by doing so you will find still another different label, who knows (well at least there is the test pressing copy to look for too). I have the Taiwanese copy. Of course I will let you know if I see a picture... of the blue label copy. Still good searching !!!!
PS
Jon, there are 2 variations WB labels, also 2 variations Discreet labels.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
The GATEFOLD cover is NOT quad even with the logo CD-4 QUADRADISC on the label and the number EQ-5035 on the matrix wax. The good thing about it is that the sound's quality is much better that on the real CD-4 Lp !!!! Of course I will still do more checking just in case there is a REAL quad version of this beautiful item.

Last edited:
kvadro said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
The GATEFOLD cover is NOT quad even with the the logo CD-4 QUADRADISC on the label and the number EQ-5035 on the matrix wax. The good thing about it is that the sound's quality is much better that on the real CD-4 Lp !!!! Of course I will still do more checking just in case there is a REAL quad version of this beautiful item.

Sounds like a very interesting item! Do you know what country (or countries) the blue label/gatefold was released in? EBay, here I come...

bizmopeen said:
Sounds like a very interesting item! Do you know what country (or countries) the blue label/gatefold was released in? EBay, here I come...

:brew (drink with moderation of course !)

The blue label is another USA elektra 90's (?) release. As far I can remember it did look exactly like the red label version but in BLUE, I could'nt do a meticulous checking as I didn't have my red label copy with me on the market where I saw it. As for the BEAUTIFUL GATEFOLD version it's from Germany, and as I wrote 2 days ago alas even if there is the CD-4 and quadradisc written on the labels (on both side) and the number EQ-5035, it's STEREO !!!! sob sob sob, wich doesn't reduce it's importance to a quad collection, in the opposite !!!! bizmopeen nice to read "Sounds like a very interesting item!". Wait for tomorrow or 2 days for the scan of the label and a link to a page where you will be able to see this REALLY nice version cover too (really worth the look). Tomorrow I will tell you more as I had a flash on a thing !!!! OK I am not let you wait for this untill tomorrow, I just remember that on the wax the number EQ-5035 is well marked and that the catalog number of this Lp is cross with lines, wich gave me the flash that there might still be a REAL QUAD version with the catalog number of this Lp NOT cross with lines !!!! IT'S POSSIBLE !!!! (I had another flash just now, let's look too to the STEREO label version of this Germam GATEFOLD cover and LOOK AT THE MATRIX). OK that's should be enough for today !

Last edited:
Well that last remark rang a bell with me, saying that it's a german pressing. There was an issue of The best of the Doors with a gatefold cover in the Art&Music collection, a series of 7 different records, where the record was bundled with a repro of a painting from an artist on the inside of the gatefold.
And yes, I have seen this record with a quadradisc butterfly logo, another quad collector has it. But the record was not quad. However the version I own doesn't even say quadradisc on the label, but has the number EQ5035 hand-written in the wax and in brackets also on the label. The cover has nowhere any traces of quad.
This was issued in 1976 and was to my knowledge the first german pressing of that record. The other 6 LPs in that series have nothing to do with quad at all. I've included a scan of the cover, maybe Gabriel will add a scan of the label with the quad logo, which some of those Lps have.

Attachments

• Doors_Art_and_Music_Cover.jpg
    Doors_Art_and_Music_Cover.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 253
I was rummaging through some records yesterday in a record shop and came across a copy of this LP. It was a US pressing but it did not have the Quadradisc logo (the first time I have seen this, actually). There was a very poor "cut-and-paste" job done on the cover to cover up the Quadradisc logo. There was no Quadradisc logo on the solid red label.

Cai Campbell said:
I was rummaging through some records yesterday in a record shop and came across a copy of this LP. It was a US pressing but it did not have the Quadradisc logo (the first time I have seen this, actually). There was a very poor "cut-and-paste" job done on the cover to cover up the Quadradisc logo. There was no Quadradisc logo on the solid red label.
I've seen this before as well. The copies I've run across I believe were record club pressings (perhaps others can confirm or deny this) I noticed the poor "cut and paste" as well and had always wondered why they bothered to make up a "stereo only" version. It's not as though there's been a lack of Doors compilations thru the years...

bizmopeen said:
I've seen this before as well. The copies I've run across I believe were record club pressings (perhaps others can confirm or deny this) I noticed the poor "cut and paste" as well and had always wondered why they bothered to make up a "stereo only" version. It's not as though there's been a lack of Doors compilations thru the years...

I wonder if this really a Quadradisc issue with the logo removed to avoid confusion with the stereo crowd. I almost bought it to find out but decided to pass.

quad4all said:
Well that last remark rang a bell with me, saying that it's a german pressing. There was an issue of The best of the Doors with a gatefold cover in the Art&Music collection, a series of 7 different records, where the record was bundled with a repro of a painting from an artist on the inside of the gatefold.
And yes, I have seen this record with a quadradisc butterfly logo, another quad collector has it. But the record was not quad. However the version I own doesn't even say quadradisc on the label, but has the number EQ5035 hand-written in the wax and in brackets also on the label. The cover has nowhere any traces of quad.
This was issued in 1976 and was to my knowledge the first german pressing of that record. The other 6 LPs in that series have nothing to do with quad at all. I've included a scan of the cover, maybe Gabriel will add a scan of the label with the quad logo, which some of those Lps have.

:alienrob: (y) (y) (y) (y) :alienrob:
HI quad4all, I wanted to say if I remember good that your copy without the quadradisc logo and the one I have with the quadradisc logo have the same number ELK 59 022. Can you tell me if I have good memory. Can you tell me what's EXACTLY written on the wax of your copy. THANKS, I just need also a VERY GOOD scan of the label from your copy. Find the label attached and the link where you can find the complete scans of the front cover and the INSIDE left and right.

http://membres.lycos.fr/realtruthisnow/doors.htm

As a bonus I put also the picture of the Taiwan cover and label ! (you must also read what I wrote about that Taiwan copy). The Taiwan have NO quad or stereo writing on the labels and the "sticker" is NOT a sticker but PRINTED, has the EQ-3035 on the wax ans IS CD-4 of course. And the story is NOT finish....

Attachments

• doorsger001.gif
    doorsger001.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
That's the same CD-4 Quadradisc logo that is on the demo LP "Quadrophonic Experience", the sampler disc with the track from "Spectrum". Very nice!

BTW - I added a scan of that LP to the WB page a while ago with little fanfare
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Back