SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I'm a bit wary, I'm all for popular singers stretching their range if it brings in people who wouldn't otherwise be listeners. I don't think classical aficionados are really the audience.

I'm curious to hear the version Kal recommends, but I understand that it's nearly impossible to track down. This SACD, on the other hand, is pretty common and works fine for me.

51jQqC9Qx0L.jpg

I agree, the intended audience probably isn't the usual classical music enthusiast. And I also agree it's good to see singers crossing over; I'd love to hear Beyoncé tackle Urlicht and other Lieder as I believe she has the potential with some coaching to pull it off with aplomb.

Anybody else heard this one yet? Got a chance to listen to it today; and really enjoyed it. Seemed very discrete and immersive; and the music was very pleasant.

View attachment 38757

wow! i don't know how i missed this one! need to add it to the next DV order! thanks Mister Pupster! :love:

Whilst I'm a bit wary, I'm all for popular singers stretching their range if it brings in people who wouldn't otherwise be listeners. I don't think classical aficionados are really the audience.
Just today, I was listening to Sting's and Edin Karamazov's album of John Dowland songs. It's a bit weird, but it was a passion project for Sting and I can only assume it introduced many people to Dowland's music for the first time.

Saw Pepe Romero perform "Concierto De Aranjuez" solo about 20 years ago and it was brilliant.

Wondering if anyone has this one, and how is it?

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2284
It's good, once you consider the limitations of the 3-channel format - you're really hearing a 3-channel mastertape meant for mixdown rather than a release mix. I think this review (of another very good version) is on the mark: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10778#reviews

I picked up Rued Langgaard: Symphonies 2 & 6 the other day. Gorgeous late romantic music in the style of Wagner, Richard Strauss and Sibelius. The Vienna Philharmonic under Sakari Oramo sounds fabulous on this Dacapo MC SACD. They finish the recording off with a stylish performance of Jacob Gade: Tango Jalousie* 'Tango Tzigane'.

View attachment 39464

I picked up Rued Langgaard: Symphonies 2 & 6 the other day. Gorgeous late romantic music in the style of Wagner, Richard Strauss and Sibelius. The Vienna Philharmonic under Sakari Oramo sounds fabulous on this Dacapo MC SACD. They finish the recording off with a stylish performance of Jacob Gade: Tango Jalousie* 'Tango Tzigane'.

I'll have to pick this one up, Brett as I am enamored of Rued Langgaard. His music is exquisite!

edit: Just ordered from Classical Music Superstore via AmazonUS!

Also listened to this one yesterday, excellent immersive sound, but just didn't resonate with me musically. I can't fault the performances though.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical...9B0F7FDCA8A90C0C0AC082F30FFB6?album_id=948014
I know the feeling. Music that's new to me sometimes doesn't resonate with me at first, either. I find that coming back to music after having given it a few listenings and some time to grow on me helps expand my musical horizons. This probably sounds odd but something about the gardener in me definitely loves "planting seeds" of music and listening to them grow. 🌱😉 🌷🐝

I know the feeling. Music that's new to me sometimes doesn't resonate with me at first, either. I find that coming back to music after having given it a few listenings and some time to grow on me helps expand my musical horizons. This probably sounds odd but something about the gardener in me definitely loves "planting seeds" of music and listening to them grow. 🌱😉🌷🐝
One way I deal with that, is just put it all on my SACD SSD, and let songs come to me in the night, blowing through with a mighty collision 🌔 🌬💫 of renewal🤗

I'll add one more to the list. Here's a unique version of Saint-Saëns's popular Organ Symphony arranged by Guy Bovet to give the organ a more prominent role throughout the Symphony and IMHO Bovet has done a successful job of it! As an aficionado of organ music, I thoroughly enjoyed this performance by organist Ulrich Meldau & the Capriccio Baroque Orchestra conducted by Karel Valter. Aeolus's MC recording is suitably spacious.

Last edited:
View attachment 39485

I'll add one more to the list. Here's a unique version of Saint-Saëns's popular Organ Symphony arranged by Guy Bovet to give the organ a more prominent role throughout the Symphony and IMHO Bovet has done successful job of it! As an aficionado of organ music, I thoroughly enjoyed this performance by organist Ulrich Meldau & the Capriccio Baroque Orchestra conducted by Karel Valter. Aeolus's MC recording is suitably spacious.
Promptly added to my list.

There's a new reconstruction of Bach's St. Mark's Passion by Jordi Savall--sounds like it could be good. Can anyone speak to the surround quality of other Alia Vox titles?

All of the Alia Vox Titles I own are rear ambient only, humprof, but they're all state of the art recordings. Their repertoire is amazing and some of their booklets which accompany their SACDs are actually small novellas versus liner notes. Order with confidence!

If you want a generous sampling of their offerings, order PRO PACEM which is one SACD accompanied by an actual hard covered book. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Pacem-He...+Pro+Pacem+SACD&qid=1554876577&s=music&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Back