SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Channel's cycle of Mahler Symphonies continues (or concludes) with Ivan Fischer and his Budapest Festival Orchestra playing Mahler's 7th Symphony. It's not officially coming out for another month, but Channel will sell it to you directly now - available as a SACD or DSD/PCM multichannel download, up to the original recording resolution of DSD256: https://www.channelclassics.com/catalogue/38019-Mahler-Symphony-No-7/

I'm personally just ordering the SACD.

Video about the recording:

Absolutely fascinating video, ubertrout. I have so many Mahler recordings but I feel compelled to add Ivan Fischer's brilliant recording of his 7th to my mch SACD collection.

Many thanks for sharing. Fischer is also a fascinating storyteller and brings so much vibrancy to the intricacies of performing the maestro's works. Bravo!

Last edited:
It's a bummer they've moved to downloads instead - and that they've set their price point so high. I'd be purchasing many more if their price point was closer to eClassical. I think only Rachel Podger and Ivan Fischer are still getting issued on SACD.
I remember a few years ago when some of us were discussing CC's download pricing with Jared over on the SA-CD.net forum. He was trying hard to explain that the pricing system is high because of all the costs involved in making new classical recordings. He even compared the $30 price to being the same as a couple of beers in a restaurant. I suppose he has a point and CC's prices are peanuts compared to how much the Beatles, Rush & other old rock bands can charge for a mediocre remix of previously released material in a ridiculously big box (whatever happened to reducing waste & saving the Earth!?? :unsure::cautious:) But hey, I hardly ever buy drinks in a restaurant these days anyways...seeing how much they overcharge for everything. LOL!! :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone found a way to buy & sell used downloads yet!? LOL!!!

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago when some of us were discussing CC's download pricing with Jared over on the SA-CD.net forum. He was trying hard to explain that the pricing system is high because of all the costs involved in making new classical recordings. He even compared the $30 price to being the same as a couple of beers in a restaurant. I suppose he has a point and CC's prices are peanuts compared to how much the Beatles, Rush & other old rock bands can charge for a mediocre remix of previously released material in a ridiculously big box (whatever happened to reducing waste & saving the Earth!?? :unsure::cautious:) But hey, I hardly ever buy drinks in a restaurant these days anyways...seeing how much they overcharge for everything. LOL!! :ROFLMAO:

I understand costs are what they are. But from my perspective, this will be my 6th or 7th high-res Mahler 7th, and if I was paying that for every album I purchased, with no secondary market, it would be far too rich for my blood. And even their sales are 20% off at most - eClassical does 50% off for new releases, and as a result I'll often buy new releases from them.

As for selling used downloads, it's been tried. It didn't go well: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/case/capitol-records-llc-v-redigi-inc/

ImportCD is showing a pre~order for Ivan Fischer's Mahler 7th [release date 3/29/19] https://www.importcds.com/mahler-symphony-no-7/723385380191

Normally, ImportCD prices Classical SACDs for under $14 which, IMO, is a relative bargain for newly recorded multichannel SACDs. Contrast that with AmazonUS who normally charge $19.98+!

Last edited:
I understand costs are what they are. But from my perspective, this will be my 6th or 7th high-res Mahler 7th, and if I was paying that for every album I purchased, with no secondary market, it would be far too rich for my blood. And even their sales are 20% off at most - eClassical does 50% off for new releases, and as a result I'll often buy new releases from them.

As for selling used downloads, it's been tried. It didn't go well: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/case/capitol-records-llc-v-redigi-inc/
I hear and agree with you.

It's good to see someone actually tried to find a legal way to resell legally purchased downloads. Who knows? Maybe someday someone will find a way. Necessity is the mother of invention, right! ;)

ImportCD is showing a pre~order for Ivan Fischer's Mahler 7th [release date 3/29/19] https://www.importcds.com/mahler-symphony-no-7/723385380191

Normally, ImportCD prices Classical SACDs for under $14 which, IMO, is a relative bargain for newly recorded multichannel SACDs. Contrast that with AmazonUS who normally charge $19.98+!
Thanks, Ralph!
3 recordings for the price of one!!! Hybrid MC SACDs are a real bargain. Only bluray movies offer a better deal. I guess I can buy some beer after all! LOL!!! :giggle:(y)

Thanks, Ralph!
3 recordings for the price of one!!! Hybrid MC SACDs are a real bargain. Only bluray movies offer a better deal. I guess I can buy some beer after all! LOL!!! :giggle:(y)

Why buy BEER, Brett ... when you can afford to celebrate with Champagne? Besides, champagne gives you a better HIGH!🍾

Last year when Presto Classical had their Classical blow out SACD sale, I added 24 discs to my collection ... some as low as $7.75! [of course s/h wasn't cheap, but heck.....what a haul!]

Channel's cycle of Mahler Symphonies continues (or concludes) with Ivan Fischer and his Budapest Festival Orchestra playing Mahler's 7th Symphony. It's not officially coming out for another month, but Channel will sell it to you directly now - available as a SACD or DSD/PCM multichannel download, up to the original recording resolution of DSD256: https://www.channelclassics.com/catalogue/38019-Mahler-Symphony-No-7/

I'm personally just ordering the SACD.
You will get it all. I downloaded the DSD64/multichannel because:
MAHLER SYMPHONY NO. 7 (2019)
MAHLER
BUDAPEST FESTIVAL ORCHESTRA
Cables:Van den Hul
Digital Converters:Grimm Audio
Editing Software:Pyramix
Mastering Engineer:Jared Sacks
Microphones:Bruel & Kjaer 4006, Schoeps
Mixing Board:Rens Heijnis, custom design
Producer:Hein Dekker
Recording Engineer:Jared Sacks
Recording location:Palace of Arts, Budapest, September 2015
Recording Type & Bit Rate:DSD 64
Speakers:Audio Lab, Holland

MAHLER

Very impressive recording apparatus, Kal. Who said the high end was moribund? Were you impressed with Fischer's interpretation of Mahler's 7th?

BTW, rather surprised Jared didn't record in DSD 256 rather than DSD 64!

Last edited:
MAHLER
I foolishly assumed that if they were offering DSD256, they'd recorded at that rate. Thanks for the clarification.

I remember on SA-CD.net, people got pretty fanatical about double and quad DSD and using the Grimm converter and more. I'm glad things are a little saner here.

Why buy BEER, Brett ... when you can afford to celebrate with Champagne? Besides, champagne gives you a better HIGH!🍾

Last year when Presto Classical had their Classical blow out SACD sale, I added 24 discs to my collection ... some as low as $7.75! [of course s/h wasn't cheap, but heck.....what a haul!]
Beer, champagne, piña colada, tequila sunrise 🌅🍹✨ Let the good times roll, Ralphie 💃

Today at my lunch break I found only one recording to take home from the record store. Yep, you guessed it. Another Bruckner recording. Don't know why I am on a Bruckner kick these days, but this one is going down nice n' smooth! What can I say? The man loved bier! 😋🍻

Beer, champagne, piña colada, tequila sunrise 🌅🍹✨ Let the good times roll, Ralphie 💃

Today at my lunch break I found only one recording to take home from the record store. Yep, you guessed it. Another Bruckner recording. Don't know why I am on a Bruckner kick these days, but this one is going down nice n' smooth! What can I say? The man loved bier! 😋🍻

View attachment 38706

A chilled, frothy brew and Brett's new battlecry: "He ain't heavy ... he's my Bruckner!"🎼🎼🎼

See the source image

A chilled, frothy brew and Brett's new battlecry: "He ain't heavy ... he's my Bruckner!"🎼🎼🎼

See the source image
Speaking of heavy, you sure got a heavy load with 24 SACDs in that sale. 😃📣 Anything you want to give a shoutout for?

I am warming things up with a powerful performance of Marc-Antoine Charpentier's "Messe a 8 voices & Te Deum a 8 voices" performed by Le Concert Spirituel under the leadership of Hervé Niquet. The surrounds are quite immersive on this one.

See the source image
My favorite Bruckner Joke - it will make total sense to New Yorkers, but isn't unintelligible to others:

Why do they call it the Bruckner Expressway?
Because it's long and boring and doesn't go anywhere

Giving this a try tonight. It appears to be one of those binaural 3D recordings that gives stereo headphone users a 3D sound image. The multichannel surround mix is very immersive as well. Performances by this German group are solid and spirited.

View attachment 38731

Giving this a try tonight. It appears to be one of those binaural 3D recordings that gives stereo headphone users a 3D sound image. The multichannel surround mix is very immersive as well. Performances by this German group are solid and spirited.

Nice. I have lots of Adams in surround (including the Berlin Philharmonic's box set from last year)--but I'd missed this one.

Back