The new Winamp (please don't groan)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H.A.L.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Ok, I've been on a decluttering phase, and discovered some old external hard drives that still worked,
all loaded with music in FLAC / SHN / APE format from my old bit-torrenting days on DIMEADOZEN.

I had given up because of the whole mass was getting out of hand. And very expensive.

Today, though . . . a relatively cheap drive that fits in my hand can fit all of it comfortably. Hmm.

Anyway, I've always used Winamp, and in the backups I found .shn and .ape .dlls, cool, so I can
play it all. However.

I used to love hit random play and go through the lot. But the new Winamp can't handle it, or,
maybe after a very long time I give up. Is it not possible, is there a fix, or what do you use that
handles a lot of file names?

Last edited:
Ok, I've been on a decluttering phase, and discovered some old external hard drives that still worked,
all loaded with music in FLAC / SHN / APE format from my old bit-torrenting days on DIMEADOZEN.

I gave up because of the whole mass was getting out of hand. And very expensive.

Today, though . . . a drive that fits in my hand can fit all of it comfortably. Hmm.

Anyway, I've always used Winamp, and in the backups I found .shn and .ape .dlls, cool, so I can
play it all. However.

I used to love hit random play and go through the lot. But the new Winamp can't handle it, or,
maybe after a very long time I give up. Is it not possible, is there a fix, or what do you use that
handles a lot of file names?
I don’t have the answer to your question, but I also frequented Dime for several years and have a lot of great music as a result. I burned much of it to disc and have hundreds of titles stored on a hard drive. I’ll be interested to see what the solution is here.

Like others here, I use Logitech Media Server (in the process of being re-branded Lyrion Music server now that Logitech has officially given up on it) to play my 133,539 (as of today) track library.

As I type this I'm listening to it use a couple of plug-ins to play semi-random albums. "Semi" because I have it heavily biased toward never-played or played-long-ago albums while ignoring non-musical genres.

Sounds great, atrocity! For Willie Nelson er Wilson there, I found out that you keep it all in one folder, and instead of
opening it with the playlist, you drag the one folder over. I'll have to test (still backing up, sigh) once it is all in place.

Back