HiRez Poll Thin Lizzy - 1976 (JAILBREAK & JOHNNY THE FOX) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Thin Lizzy - 1976 (JAILBREAK & JOHNNY THE FOX)

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Can someone confirm that the Blu-Ray in the box also has a dedicated 5.1 mix? The tracklisting on the back only lists Atmos and stereo, but there is a DTS-HD symbol at the bottom so it’s not entirely clear.

I cast a 7. Just for the minute multichannel content. Well for rock band, it makes sense, of course. There is little you can do and we discussed that (I did) about Paranoid. It makes barely sense. But I bought it because I love Thin Lizzy, so both for bad reasons (what did I expect ?) and good reasons (the music !) :)

I am enjoying this hugely - but then these are my two favorite Lizzy albums. Feel the same way I do about Trower’s Bridge Of Sighs - maybe not as discrete as the best. But glorious room filling hard rock impact! I’m not marveling at this bit here and that bit over there, which can be a lot of fun, of course. Just relishing a space chock-full of sound. So glad I purchased. Comments above about the best these albums have ever sounded? Right on…

Last edited:
I am enjoying this hugely - but then these are my two favorite Lizzy albums. Feel the same way I do about Trower’s Bridge Of Sighs - maybe not as discrete as the best. But glorious room filling hard rock impact! I’m not marveling at this bit here and that bit over there, which can be a lot of fun, of course. Just relishing a space chock-full of sound. So glad I purchased. Comments above about the best these albums have ever sounded? Right on…
Am I allowed to call Jailbreak underrated now, after listening to this new mix a few times now, or should I have known just how great it was from the many times I listened to the CD?

And isn't Brian Downey a terrific drummer? I think I definitely underrated his contribution - until now, when I can hear more clearly that his contribution is essential!

Side comment. I've been listening a lot to Wishbone Ash recently - including one of their best ever albums, There's The Rub. I know Ash sorta pioneered the two guitar thing that Lizzy followed up on. And I wonder how much the Lizzy sound (not the lyrics) owed to a particular track on that album: "Don't Look Back". Have a listen and see what you think - isn't the cascading rifferage quite Lizzy sounding, especially as the track comes to its brilliant close? (I'm comparing to the soloing/joint guitar harmony on Emerald, especially...)

If I'm being honest, I would (almost) rather have an OK but still half-decent surround mix of an album I really like, rather than an incredible mix of music I don't care for. Unless the mix is just terribly bungled and it ruins a good album, which really annoys me. Not all mixers are on the level of SW, though many could learn from his work.

Back