Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yes! I've been waiting for this since they pulled those four singles a few weeks back.

"Running Down A Dream" has backing vocals and acoustic guitars in the heights. "Refugee" is quite a bit more interesting than the 5.1 mix from several years ago, the guitar solo at the end is in the tops!

Can I dare to dream for an SDE Blu-Ray?

Hell yes! I've been waiting for this since they pulled those four singles a few weeks back.

"Running Down A Dream" has backing vocals and acoustic guitars in the heights. "Refugee" is quite a bit more interesting than the 5.1 mix from several years ago, the guitar solo at the end is in the tops!

Can I dare to dream for an SDE Blu-Ray?
Can't hurt to ask @PaulatSDE !!!

This is so great!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221014_103816_Apple Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20221014_103816_Apple Music.jpg
    1.6 MB
This is one of the best multi channel mixes I’ve heard. I love what ATMOS does to the songs from the earlier records. I hope they’ll eventually mix complete albums with Ryan at the helm. He does really nice work.

To me this is useless. I just read about this in Sound and Vision magazine and was ready to buy it and just discovered it's only available for streaming platforms. Rather have a Blu-ray Audio version of this.
I think we all would. I have that moment of frustration where I think, “Why can’t we have a disc with this content?!?!” But I’m getting better at jumping quicker to what @sjcorne just said... better streaming than not at all.

I have a question for the group, though. Do we think that some stuff like this that is streaming-only, might see a physical release, especially with an artist like Petty?

I sometimes feel we’re in early days with Atmos and haven’t had enough time to know if “streaming-only” is the plan for a year or two and then grab some extra money with a physical product. Or if the plan from the start is streaming only? Obviously that might vary from title to title and artist to artist. I just keep thinking maybe there will be a reward for patience in some cases... Petty, Revolver... the bigger names and titles.

Or I’m being totally naive and should accept the new reality.

I think we all would. I have that moment of frustration where I think, “Why can’t we have a disc with this content?!?!” But I’m getting better at jumping quicker to what @sjcorne just said... better streaming than not at all.

I have a question for the group, though. Do we think that some stuff like this that is streaming-only, might see a physical release, especially with an artist like Petty?

I sometimes feel we’re in early days with Atmos and haven’t had enough time to know if “streaming-only” is the plan for a year or two and then grab some extra money with a physical product. Or if the plan from the start is streaming only? Obviously that might vary from title to title and artist to artist. I just keep thinking maybe there will be a reward for patience in some cases... Petty, Revolver... the bigger names and titles.

Or I’m being totally naive and should accept the new reality.

With streaming one never knows really what the quality is. Is it a up-mix, or some half-assed attempt to get content to a platform simply to say we have the most Atmos titles available. If real work has gone into a title, then it deserves the best possible media to put it on. To me this would be like hearing a song you really like on the radio and wanting to buy the 45 only to discover the only copies went to the DJs for Promotional Purposes Only.

With streaming one never knows really what the quality is. Is it a up-mix, or some half-assed attempt to get content to a platform simply to say we have the most Atmos titles available.
I'd like to think that the difference between a half-assed upmix and a carefully done remix (such as these Petty titles) would be obvious to everyone here, even with the sonic drawbacks of streaming.

With streaming one never knows really what the quality is. Is it a up-mix, or some half-assed attempt to get content to a platform simply to say we have the most Atmos titles available. If real work has gone into a title, then it deserves the best possible media to put it on. To me this would be like hearing a song you really like on the radio and wanting to buy the 45 only to discover the only copies went to the DJs for Promotional Purposes Only.
I don’t disagree with you about what a good title deserves. Sadly, the companies who foot the bill for stuff like that aren’t as reasonable and logical as we are. ;)

I go a different way in the realm of doing without something I can’t own. There are a couple of things that are not big name titles that I’ve heard streaming in Atmos that have given me immense joy. One is my “show off” title when people come over and are curious about Atmos. But I have to be realistic and know that it’s unlikely to get a physical release (although I live in hope.) The market for that particular title is probably extremely small.

I am SO glad I heard it, though, and continue to hear it. But that’s just me. Not saying you’re wrong in your view.

Bottom line... most of us here are frustrated at what we see on streaming and not on disc.

Back to Petty... I’m currently reading the Warren Zanes biography and thoroughly enjoying it. Need to make a deep dive through the catalog. (I was more a “hits” person back in the day.) And, yeah, this Greatest Hits title is one I’d easily buy if they choose to put it out there.

If I can't have a copy of it in my collection, I'd rather do without.
You might want to be more open minded because you’re depriving yourself of some great Atmos albums and tracks that have come along over the last few years PRIMARILY due to streaming.

Both Apple Music and Tidal offer free or nearly free trials. Give it a chance.

I’m finding that some of the harmony vocal parts are blasting out of the speakers in kind of a midrange-y way and REALLY LOUDLY. I’m noticing this most on American Girl and Refugee. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Back