Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Long After Dark" (Atmos Mix out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it before. It is pretty easy. But, some of the mods on that site are some uppity know-it-alls who get off on talking down to people. This incident was a few years ago, so not sure if they are still like that, but I questioned why anyone would provide info on there when they treat people like idiots.
Where is the "talking" being done? Is there some forum attached to discogs? If yes, I have no desire to join it.....I have QQ. :)

looks like the discogs listing could use a little help (missing package artwork and extra tracks on the Blu-ray)

https://www.discogs.com/release/32047896-Tom-Petty-And-The-Heartbreakers-Long-After-Dark
I am ripping the blu ray now. Atmos, 5.1 & stereo.
There is a 10 track rip-CD 1
12 track rip-CD 2
and the video in stereo.
I looked at the Discogs, pretty good on the pictures, I have seen worse, lots of info, but as you say missing tracks/video for the blu ray.

Where is the "talking" being done? Is there some forum attached to discogs? If yes, I have no desire to join it.....I have QQ. :)
I have added mostly runout info on certain albums, and they will ask me to add some comment or some b.s. The comments will be under the section where you change or add info about a certain release. I think it is in the top right hand side of the discogs entry. When you add something they will send an email notifying you of any comments from the mods. Then they vote on it.

Honestly, it is more trouble than it is worth. I only do it to keep up with which pressings I own of a particular album. I have over 20 pressings of Led Zeppelin II, so I try to keep track of which ones are Robert Ludwig mastered pressings, etc.

I am listening to Atmos of what would be the 10 track CD 1. Released 10/18/2024.
Blu Ray rip, MKV file, 24bit/48Khz. DR's are 13's & 14's.
Sounds great, Atmos mix not very adventourous for a straight ahead rock release, but hey, it's Tom Petty and I love it.
R-32047896-1729374588-6791.jpg

I've done it before. It is pretty easy. But, some of the mods on that site are some uppity know-it-alls who get off on talking down to people. This incident was a few years ago, so not sure if they are still like that, but I questioned why anyone would provide info on there when they treat people like idiots.
That happened to me years ago. I had a cassette not on the site and I wanted to be helpful and contribute. While I figured I might get something wrong being new to it, the feedback fell into that “treat people like idiots” category. (Like you say later, maybe it has changed.)

Why someone wouldn’t have just said, “Hey, thanks for your first contribution! Let me walk you through some things for improvement.”

Instead, I was left with the feeling that there are other ways I can contribute in music where, at worst, I’ll simply be ignored rather than lectured.

Back to Tom... I did have the momentary panic when I opened the package and the Bluray was really deep in the pocket and I thought I might have gotten a Bluray-free version. Thankfully not, though.

I'm also one of the people who was run off discogs (in post part) despite adding nearly every missing major-label quad release about 10 years ago thanks to the actions of one of these guys, who I wrote about elsewhere at some point. This kind of over-zealous and joyless gatekeeping for me is one of the worst aspects of "internet culture" - I think deep down these guys mean well, but they end up like Frankenstein hugging the little girl they love so tightly that her head pops off.

I think it's better than it used to be, but it only takes an interaction with one of those kinds of people to instantaneously and entirely erase all the good experiences you have with others. I think it's a good lesson for all of us though, no matter where you find yourself on the food chain of knowledge and experience on any subject, that a little bit of grace and compassion for someone younger or less well-versed in a subject - even if they've made a minor transgression or jumped in prematurely - can be transformative in the long run. People might not remember a technical spec or a submission guideline years later, but they'll definitely remember how you made them feel.

Back