HiRez Poll Tomita - THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Tomita - THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2024 Multichannel SACD from Dutton Vocalion of Tomita's "The Bermuda Triangle."
This Multichannel SACD features the first official release of the Quadraphonic mix since the 1970s!

LP RVC 2222 (1978) STEREO/R4C 2068 QUADRAPHONIC
Electronically created by Isao Tomita

1 A SPACESHIP LANDS EMITTING SILVERY LIGHT (Tomita) – THE ARRIVAL OF A UFO AND THE MYSTERIOUS ELECTRIC WAVES (Tomita)
2 ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES DESCEND (Tomita) – ROMEO AND JULIET SUITE NO. 2: MONTAGUES AND CAPULETS (Prokofiev)
3 A WORLD OF DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS (Tomita) – VALSE TRISTE (Sibelius)
4 THE GIANT PYRAMID AND ITS ANCIENT PEOPLE (Tomita) – SCYTHIAN SUITE: THE ADORATION OF VELES AND ALA (Prokofiev)
5 VENUS IN A SPACE UNIFORM SHINING IN FLUORESCENT LIGHT (Tomita) – THE RETURN OF UFO (Tomita) – CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (Williams)
6 SPACE CHILDREN IN THE UNDERGROUND KINGDOM CALLED AGHARTA (Tomita) – SYMPHONY NO. 5 II ALLEGRO MARCATO (Prokofiev) – CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (Williams)
7 THE EARTH – A HOLLOW VESSEL (Tomita) – DORORO (Tomita)
8 THE SONG OF VENUS (Tomita) – VIOLIN CONCERTO NO. 1 IN D: I ANDANTINO (Prokofiev)
9 DAWN OVER THE TRIANGLE AND MYSTERIOUS ELECTRIC WAVES: SYMPHONY NO. 6: I ALLEGRO MODERATO (Prokofiev) – COMPUTER DATA SIGNALS (Tomita)
10 THE DAZZLING CYLINDER THAT CRASHED IN TUNGUSKA, SIBERIA (Tomita) – SYMPHONY NO. 6: I ALLEGRO MODERATO (Prokofiev)
11 THE HARP OF THE ANCIENT PEOPLE WITH SONGS OF VENUS AND HER SPACE CHILDREN (Tomita) – VIOLIN CONCERTO NO. 1 IN D: III MODERATO – ALLEGRO MODERATO (Prokofiev)
12 THE VISIONARY FLIGHT TO THE 1448 NEBULAR GROUP OF THE BOOTES (Tomita) – DEPARTURE OF THE UFO (Tomita) – SCYTHIAN SUITE: THE ADORATION OF VELES AND ALA (Prokofiev) – VALSE TRISTE (Sibelius) – VOCODER (Tomita)

Recorded in Tokyo, 1978
Producer: Plasma Music, Inc.

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

Multi-Channel/Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SACD
This Hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD player

CDSML 8587

s-l1600 (3).jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...isley-bros-hair-ost-enoch-light-tomita.36138/

Just got this SACD delivered and it was in the Oppo within minutes!
Quick live review as I listen sitting in the sweet spot, reclining with eyes closed mostly.

Track 1: Bloody hell! What an opening track, sounds like a spaceship just landed on me in a storm! Very very active as expected. Perfect start. The first Tarbel computer program sound effect at 58 seconds too.

Track 2: Huge church organ and backwards vocal synth sweeps.

Track 3: very mellow with nice panning

Track 4: Bouncing between all the speakers, lots going on. Call and response section going into a far eastern dance section of some sort and menace lurking in the background like an army wait to attack. Watching. Waiting.

Track 5: The craziest Close Encounters of the Third kind you’ll ever encounter. Film score stuff and also very discreet.

Track 6: You can just imagine how mischievous space children would be like darting around you from all directions.

Track 7: Close Encounters reprise begins this and moves into the unusual vocal rumbling and trumpeting synth waves as it carries you through the earth.

Track 8: Theramin style Song of Venus gently sweeping all around and swooping into melodic synths.

Track 9: Another melodic track that finishes with the second Tarbel computer program sound burst.

Track 10: Whistles and stomping trumpet calls begin like a joyride until it moves on to a crazy out of control crash landing as the joyride ends in a peaceful rest.

Track 11: Sounds like Peter and the Wolf at first. Moves into massive church organ recital section then more Theramin singing. Back to the stomping and harping that could moves into a mellow ending that sounds like it’s dripping down onto you.

Track 12: We have lift off! Dramatic upwards effect and sound bouncing from side to side, front to back. Then silence…… I go crazy, I go crazy…..Tomita, Tomita goes spinning around the room.

Voted a solid 10. This mix is brilliant! Thank you Mr Dutton for giving us this masterpiece in quad!

I am sure that SOMEONE will be able to decode the ceiling speaker channel info and then erase it from the quad channels and do a Dolby ATMOS mix, cause that it's what it was; probably the first ever ATMOS mix!
Tomita did it in a live concert (New York I think or possibly Linz) by dangling a speaker from a helicopter overhead to create pyramid sound.

I am sure that SOMEONE will be able to decode the ceiling speaker channel info and then erase it from the quad channels and do a Dolby ATMOS mix, cause that it's what it was; probably the first ever ATMOS mix!
Indeed... You could do no worse than to encode the ceiling channel audio to the front centre channel.

Is the ceiling channel data still obtainable within the dsd stream or is it only in the quadraphonic vinyl version?

OK, ok, I just bought it. I have three other Tomita's bought from Dutton so this latest one sounds like I should have it too. Was a big synthesizer fan as a teen/young adult. Not so much anymore but I pull them out and listen every once in a while. Still hoping for Rick Wakeman's catalog to be released as multichannel.

As ominous and mysterious as the Bermuda Triangle itself, TOMITA has struck sonic GOLD with this release and kudos to Michael J. for a magnificent QUAD SACD remaster!

The Mystery Surrounding The Bermuda Triangle Might Have Finally Been ...

I VOTED TEN

In what way is the height channel encoded on the quad LP? It's already in quad, how do you pack more in there?
I might be confusing the Isao Tomita albums. Isn't the (original quad version of) Bermuda Triangle the one that offered some hidden encoded audio effects that could only be decoded using some very expensive gear or was that a different Tomita quad album?

Back