HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - ANIMALS [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - ANIMALS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
The fidelity on this is excellent. That's one thing James Guthrie seems to have a hunger for if nothing else these days. The mix feels more like a "Behind the scenes" documentary of the recording though. Nuances in the sounds revealed. Moments of greatness for sure. The original stereo mix for all it's failings is still the real deal and what I'll keep listening to. And it's in good shape on this release too.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new Blu-ray Audio edition of the classic Pink Floyd album "Animals".
Originally released in 1977 and reissued with new stereo and 5.1 surround mixes in 2022, this new Blu-ray Audio edition contains the original 1977 stereo mix, the 2018 remixes in stereo and 5.1 surround, and a brand new Dolby Atmos mix of the album, which is exclusive to this release.

(y) :) (n)

71Nq-zwZ+6L._SL1500_.jpg

719ZwArVpWL._SL1500_.jpg
Th
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new Blu-ray Audio edition of the classic Pink Floyd album "Animals".
Originally released in 1977 and reissued with new stereo and 5.1 surround mixes in 2022, this new Blu-ray Audio edition contains the original 1977 stereo mix, the 2018 remixes in stereo and 5.1 surround, and a brand new Dolby Atmos mix of the album, which is exclusive to this release.

(y) :) (n)

71Nq-zwZ+6L._SL1500_.jpg

719ZwArVpWL._SL1500_.jpg
The 5.1 was a good mix in terms of sonic quality and immersion. I was particularly impressed by how Wright's layered parts were much more clearly defined than in the original. This made the recording feel more like a cohesive band effort. This alone makes Guthrie's efforts most worthy.

While the atmos mix was quick to follow the 5.1, I donā€™t view it as a cash grab. Putting aside the circumstances of the release times, the atmos version is definitely an upgrade! I'm always grateful when stand one releases are made available! I was a bit disappointed that Guthrie confined himself to 7.1.4 when most new releases are now 9.1.6.

I've listened to the STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED on my Oppo 105D a few times, and wow it really comes to life! I'm listening to the Atmos mix today on my 5.2.4 setup and it sounds great. Dogs was pretty good, but it seemed to come to life on track 3, Pigs, like the sound engineer finally decided to have a little fun. I agree with some of the comments that the mix is a bit conservative, considering this is Pink Floyd. I remember seeing Pink Floyd at the Rosebowl and their surround sound system was awesome, B52 bombers were flying overhead (on the speakers) and whatnot, and that is to a degree what we expect from a Pink Floyd surround mix, that's part of the real Pink Floyd [live] experience.

It is interesting to test the various Dolby Atmos/TrueHD options such as THX Unplugged, THX Orchestra, THX Studio, etc. to find the best sounding surround option.

I love that these Atmos discs also include the high res stereo, 5.1 and whatever else they decide to throw in so you get a nice variety of the highest quality.

I have the 5.1 of this and had no intention of upgrading to the Atmos, though I have an Atmos system. It was super-thoughtless of them to sell the same album twice this way.

Anyway, a very close friend bought me this for my birthday - and in a record store that was selling it for far too high a price. So that was terribly nice of my friend. I shall always think of him when I reach for it from the shelf behind my left shoulder where I keep all my PF-related multichannel stuff. And it's quite nicely packaged too, isn't it? And the menu music? That's at the top of the menu music hit parade. Oh, and I was grateful to see that the fab little pig in the pop-up menu is still there, happily intact.

So, to my score. I'm pretty sure I gave the 5.1 one a ten, and this one is a ten as well. Mind you, my rating would have been a nine, without my wee little pop-up pig friend.

But now my thoughtful, generous friend has left me in such a quandary. Just what do I do with my 5.1 copy? I don't know anybody else in my social circle with a blu-ray player, let alone a surround system.

I have the 5.1 of this and had no intention of upgrading to the Atmos, though I have an Atmos system. It was super-thoughtless of them to sell the same album twice this way.

Anyway, a very close friend bought me this for my birthday - and in a record store that was selling it for far too high a price. So that was terribly nice of my friend. I shall always think of him when I reach for it from the shelf behind my left shoulder where I keep all my PF-related multichannel stuff. And it's quite nicely packaged too, isn't it? And the menu music? That's at the top of the menu music hit parade. Oh, and I was grateful to see that the fab little pig in the pop-up menu is still there, happily intact.

So, to my score. I'm pretty sure I gave the 5.1 one a ten, and this one is a ten as well. Mind you, my rating would have been a nine, without my wee little pop-up pig friend.

But now my thoughtful, generous friend has left me in such a quandary. Just what do I do with my 5.1 copy? I don't know anybody else in my social circle with a blu-ray player, let alone a surround system.
Sell it on ebay or discogs?

Back