TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOW HORSES — Season 3 Official Trailer | Apple TV+​

*premieres November 29

So then yesterday my wife brought home a library book for me by author Mick Herron, titled Slow Horses. I never heard of the book much less the author. After about 3 chapters I knew I would never finish it. It seemed like a good concept but the author goes into a mind numbing over abundance detail, description & back story. Two pages to describe what Slough House looks like. Oh and that it's almost 400 pages in 9 pt type.

And then I wondered if there was any TV/film adaptations about this and obviously there was. I DL'ed the first season, watched the first 2 eps & was very happy with it. It seems British investigative shows often rely on using the most unlikely person (Father Brown), or group of people (New Tricks) to be the only ones that can actually get a mystery solved. I'm sure Agatha Christie was the origin of this back in the 20's. But most British cop/mystery TV shows are talk, talk, talk, and then something almost happens. Instead they go back to talking. This has a good balance of story development with good action & production values. I'm sure I'll be watching an eps a night till all 3 seasons are used up.

After watching this I of course wondered if anything about this show was mentioned in this thread. And there your post was. I don't know how I glossed over but I had fun reading the few. You are very good at picking out the shows I want to watch. I probably didn't pay attention to this topic because I don't have Apple +. But then there's more than one way to watch a TV show...

So then yesterday my wife brought home a library book for me by author Mick Herron, titled Slow Horses. I never heard of the book much less the author. After about 3 chapters I knew I would never finish it. It seemed like a good concept but the author goes into a mind numbing over abundance detail, description & back story. Two pages to describe what Slough House looks like. Oh and that it's almost 400 pages in 9 pt type.

And then I wondered if there was any TV/film adaptations about this and obviously there was. I DL'ed the first season, watched the first 2 eps & was very happy with it. It seems British investigative shows often rely on using the most unlikely person (Father Brown), or group of people (New Tricks) to be the only ones that can actually get a mystery solved. I'm sure Agatha Christie was the origin of this back in the 20's. But most British cop/mystery TV shows are talk, talk, talk, and then something almost happens. Instead they go back to talking. This has a good balance of story development with good action & production values. I'm sure I'll be watching an eps a night till all 3 seasons are used up.

After watching this I of course wondered if anything about this show was mentioned in this thread. And there your post was. I don't know how I glossed over but I had fun reading the few. You are very good at picking out the shows I want to watch. I probably didn't pay attention to this topic because I don't have Apple +. But then there's more than one way to watch a TV show...
I like it also, Gary Oldman is hilarious in this!

I like it also, Gary Oldman is hilarious in this!
I totally agree with you! He steals the show every scene he's in. It's mind boggling, you know, the Gary Oldman past & the Gary Oldman present:

1718484603367.jpeg

1718484630389.jpeg

Last edited:
1718928745825.png

PBS - Disco: Soundtrack of a Revolution

Another great docuseries I'm checking out. I believe this is 3 episodes and I've only watched one so far; but learned a lot about the music, the D.J.'s, New York movers & shakers that started it all.

Highly Recommended!!!

https://www.pbs.org/show/disco-soundtrack-of-a-revolution/

View attachment 106727

Another great docuseries I'm checking out. I believe this is 3 episodes and I've only watched one so far; but learned a lot about the music, the D.J.'s, New York movers & shakers that started it all.

Highly Recommended!!!

I'll add to this by saying, that just on that first episode I watched, quite a few of the songs highlighted in that show I recognized as having Quadraphonic releases back in the day as well :)

View attachment 106727

Highly Recommended!!!

Just want to thank Pupster for highlighting this one, which I'm really enjoying, having watched two of the three episodes. It really takes a deep dive into the social and cultural context that created the music, instead of just being a bunch of modern talking heads gawking at the fashion of the time. I particularly enjoyed seeing Nona Hendryx of Labelle being interviewed in a room with an amazing looking stereo system - I'm hoping it's hers given that she was apparently a big quad fan back in the day.

For people in the UK, this is available on BBC iPlayer, having originally been a BBC production before PBS showed it in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001tkyk/disco-soundtrack-of-a-revolution

Just want to thank Pupster for highlighting this one, which I'm really enjoying, having watched two of the three episodes. It really takes a deep dive into the social and cultural context that created the music, instead of just being a bunch of modern talking heads gawking at the fashion of the time. I particularly enjoyed seeing Nona Hendryx of Labelle being interviewed in a room with an amazing looking stereo system - I'm hoping it's hers given that she was apparently a big quad fan back in the day.

For people in the UK, this is available on BBC iPlayer, having originally been a BBC production before PBS showed it in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001tkyk/disco-soundtrack-of-a-revolution
yeah, I saw that system also, looks like she really cranks some stuff 😄
Just have to wonder if the room is even bigger behind the camera and there are two more speakers back there for Quad; but if not then she's back tracked to stereo 😬

My Lady Jane - Official Trailer | Prime Video​

*currently checking out this British fantasy series set in the 16th century; that reminds me a little of 1963's Tom Jones in it's sexual & comedic tone, but with a female lead. Also utilizes modern Rock & Pop songs throughout.

In reality it is actually quite a tragic tale.

Spoiler Alert: Lady Jane Grey was Queen for only 9 days, named heir by Edward VI she was overthrown by his sister Mary, and was beheaded. She was only 16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Jane_Grey

In reality it is actually quite a tragic tale.

Spoiler Alert: Lady Jane Grey was Queen for only 9 days, named heir by Edward VI she was overthrown by his sister Mary, and was beheaded. She was only 16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Jane_Grey
Leave it to Amazon Prime, Dunc, to get ahead of themselves in portraying Lady Jane Grey as a bon vivant

R.1a920726191f9de91bd577a4e06f0f6e

Back