Steven Wilson Yes "Fragile" Super Deluxe Edition out in June with Dolby Atmos mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing Roundabout over and over in Atmos. Just trying to truly absorb how this sounds. The surround effects are spectacular and very different than previous multi-channel versions. Somewhere near the 5 minute mark, where the drums roll through, holy cow, they go in the rear heights to amazing impact. Never have I heard something this impactful for this album.

Wow!
You can say that again, another SW 10!

It's probably Alan White drumming on 'The Dean', based on the liner notes to The Other Side of the River, which say he was the drummer at the sessions for the first attempt at recording River, in Advision/Olympic in London with Eddy Offord at the board, in 1971.
That makes sense, it sounds more like White than Bruford to my ears.

Went to steam this on iTunes today but they only have the first 4 discs. None of the surround sound versions. Guess I'm waiting for the physical set I ordered

Item: Fragile (Super Deluxe)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0D33WBKSC
Reason for refund: Pre-order Guarantee

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $8.64
Item Tax Refund: $0.61

Concerning "The Dean"... I am afraid this might turn out to be a mistake like "Unknown Balad" on ELP's Tarkus remix, where SW found an unknown piece of music on a master reel and thought it was an ELP recording (which it wasn't).

The Dean sounds nothing like Yes in that period. The singing is definitely not Jon Anderson's or Chris Squire's or even Steve Howe's vocals. Perhaps they let Rick or Bill have a go at the mic, but i seriously doubt that :ROFLMAO:. The drums don't sound like Bruford's playing either.

I wonder what it actually is, but if it really is Yes, I understand why they never developed it further. My bet is it is not Yes, but some other recording that was found on the reels.

Curious...
And that mystery track, 'The Dean'? Apparently it's a take from sessions for Terry Reid's third album 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟, which was recorded twice...first with Eddy Offord producing, later with Tom Dowd. The Dowd version is the one that got released, in 1972. A whole second album's worth of material came from those two River sessions, released for the first time in 2016 as 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑂𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟, on which Offord and Dowd share production credits (the old tapes were mixed by Brian Kehew, who also mixed Progeny and bonus track on Tormato). Confusingly, 'Dean' is the name of a track on 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟 (1972), but 'The Dean' from this Yes set isn't that track. Instead, it sounds very much like a prototype of 'Sabyla', the last track on 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑂𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟.

From "insider" Jason_Rhino on SHF:
And that mystery track, 'The Dean'? Apparently it's a take from sessions for Terry Reid's third album 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟, which was recorded twice...first with Eddy Offord producing, later with Tom Dowd. The Dowd version is the one that got released, in 1972. A whole second album's worth of material came from those two River sessions, released for the first time in 2016 as 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑂𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟, on which Offord and Dowd share production credits (the old tapes were mixed by Brian Kehew, who also mixed Progeny and bonus track on Tormato). Confusingly, 'Dean' is the name of a track on 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟 (1972), but 'The Dean' from this Yes set isn't that track. Instead, it sounds very much like a prototype of 'Sabyla', the last track on 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑂𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟.

Does anyone who has heard the set know what this is?

4. THE DEAN [3:45]

And whether these are different performances from the ones on Yessongs?
6. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND/THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) (Live)* [12:35]
7. PERPETUAL CHANGE (Live)* [10:45]
The new Super Deluxe Fragile includes as previously unreleased bonus tracks three from the gig at the Academy of Music on Feb 19 1972, when Bill was still in the band: Perpetual Change, Long Distance Runaround/The Fish, and Yours Is No Disgrace. Long time fans will hear quickly that Perpetual Change and LDR/Fish indeed are NOT the Yessongs versions. This means that we can finally pin the correct dates for the Yessongs versions: those are from the *second* Academy fo Music gig that year, February 23 , 1972.

Mine arrived yesterday. My only gripe is with Amazon, they never backed down from the $99 price. Next Yes release, I’ll be ordering from ImportCD.
Gave it a quick listen last night and the mix is magical.
What do you know….
I just got an email indicating I get a $9 refund. That makes it a little better.

With Fragile we ended up getting the mindblowing experience that everyone had been hoping for with Who's Next. With ratings in a QQ poll that goes from 1 to 10 I'd have say that this one goes up to 11!.
bells11.jpg

Does anyone who has heard the set know what this is?

4. THE DEAN [3:45]

And whether these are different performances from the ones on Yessongs?
6. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND/THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) (Live)* [12:35]
7. PERPETUAL CHANGE (Live)* [10:45]
This is Terry Reid "Sabyla" in his "The Other Side Of The River".

Mine arrived yesterday. My only gripe is with Amazon, they never backed down from the $99 price. Next Yes release, I’ll be ordering from ImportCD.
Gave it a quick listen last night and the mix is magical.
There's a saying in my house: NEVER PAY RETAIL! But at least you will get a small refund which will somewhat lessen the burden!

Back