Zappa - Apostrophe (50th anniversary set out in Sept!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Release date 13 September it seems:

https://recordstore.co.uk/products/...JF8-jSDJHz3O4LYflU_aem_cP9Nz3y0ikJM7WVgEBBkzw

1720786870934.png

Last edited:
I was willing to pay $60 for the Waka/Wazoo Atmos. I realize this has one more CD, but $100 is a bit too much IMO.

BLU-RAY AUDIO:

apostrophe (‘) – The Album

Dolby Atmos* / Dolby TrueHD 5.1* / Dolby TrueHD 1974 Quadraphonic / 192K24B Stereo / 96K24B Stereo

What more could you want!
You mean beside the quad mix of Roxy and a discovery that Frank DID mix One Size Fits All in quad?

$100 is definitely a lot to ask, but there is quite a bit of content and surround mixes included.

One of the prior Zappa releases I held out and caught a sale. Will be waiting on preordering this one to see where pricing lands and any sales. There's going to be a lot of these made, this was probably his single biggest/most popular album, so they won't run out (no penalty for patience).

Thankfully I’m interested in the CD’s in this set, as there’s only about 32 minutes of surround material included here. It’s even shorter than Over-Nite Sensation which is about 35 minutes.

I always felt this album could’ve included 1 more song, it’s criminally short!

You mean beside the quad mix of Roxy and a discovery that Frank DID mix One Size Fits All in quad?

Really ?? What's the source on that if you don't mind me asking?
I thought we had someone here on QQ familiar with all Zappa quads and stated , One Size Fits All , does not exist ??
So if it does that is most certainly welcome news.

Really ?? What's the source on that if you don't mind me asking?
I thought we had someone here on QQ familiar with all Zappa quads and stated , One Size Fits All , does not exist ??
So if it does that is most certainly welcome news.
Sorry, no.

The question was: What more could you want?
My facetious answer was: A discovery that Frank DID mix One Size Fits All in quad! Because we are certain at present that he did not. Thought I was clear. But I often think that and apparently am not!

I mean, if someone's gonna ask what more I could want... well, that would be it! And the quad mix of Roxy which has been noted as mixed but never released.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for a sale too. Of course I'm in eventually and of course I want anything live they care to release! That Q4 actually sounds pretty decent right now though. Over-Nite was the more stepped on shared copy before the reissue.

The album in Atmos on Blu-ray? Well - fine, but why aren‘t the extra cd‘s of this box not on the blu-ray? (Of course stereo only - but in Hi-Res) - that way you could hear hours of Zappa without changing the discs and with better quality. Jethro Tull did it (almost) right with their boxsets (DVD only)

The album in Atmos on Blu-ray? Well - fine, but why aren‘t the extra cd‘s of this box not on the blu-ray? (Of course stereo only - but in Hi-Res) - that way you could hear hours of Zappa without changing the discs and with better quality. Jethro Tull did it (almost) right with their boxsets (DVD only)
This seems to be the Zappa business model for their recent box sets. :rolleyes:
For hi-res stereo, they are available to stream for hours, at least, in "better than CD" quality. ;)

This seems to be the Zappa business model for their recent box sets. :rolleyes:
For hi-res stereo, they are available to stream for hours, at least, in "better than CD" quality. ;)
That's a main reason why I'm passing on these releases. Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe are notoriously short (~35 and 32 minutes, respectively), so a singe blu-ray could easily accommodate multiple audio streams of the main albums plus most if not all the material on the CDs. If you are a fan of live Zappa then these sets will have greater appeal - but for me a single show or a 70 minute cherry picked live set would have been sufficient.
Notably, Over-Nite Sensation at $65 looks like a bargain compared to the ridiculous $99 for Apostrophe, but neither is a good value IMHO.

Back