Zappa's Family

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh?

You asked "How many musicians have you known that play for a living, and what were their thoughts on Zappa??"
Huh yourself.
I quoted you, to whit: "I've yet to read or see any former bandmates slag him or hate him. If you have, please share."
I have not because I don't know any former bandmates. I never said anything about any former bandmates at all.
My original point was merely that none of the musicians I worked with seemed to have any thoughts about Zappa at all. That you seem to have, that's all good but not my experience. I don't see why that seems a foreign concept to you, as if Zappa was some sort of Deity. I personally like a lot of his music and am waiting for the release of Apostrophe.
I am done with this conversation with you.

Haha! Didn't expect the alumni list to be that blindsiding, eh?
He is done with his conversation with me, likely done with yours, too.

I admit I love Frank, his music and his contributions to social and political discourse. And many of the musicians I know do, too. All the musicians Mandrix knows do not share my enthusiasm, apparently. We travel in different circles.

I believe it’s possible to have been an up-and-comong musician in the 1970s and not have an opinion on Frank Zappa.

I knew a guy in the army who would buy the most off-the-wall albums he could find, and he was more than willing to share more crap with the barracks than I care to remember. Zappa was part of that “sharing,” and simply because I have purged most of those memories, I haven’t been a fan ever since, although I might be willing to try in an environment that I’m more in control of these days.

I’m not saying he wasn’t talented, although that doesn’t mean he was acceptable to my ears. And grouping him in with crap like Mrs. Miller and a few others I have thankfully forgotten didn’t endear his music to me.

I’m usually not into blatantly political commentary, especially in music. Maybe that has something to do with it.

And let's not forget three more noteworthy band members of Frank's,

Volmann and Kaylan (the turtles) and one big important guy from two FZ albums...Bongo Fury ....., Hot Rats alumni and Willie The Pimp...Captain Beefheart.

I believe it’s possible to have been an up-and-comong musician in the 1970s and not have an opinion on Frank Zappa.

I knew a guy in the army who would buy the most off-the-wall albums he could find, and he was more than willing to share more crap with the barracks than I care to remember. Zappa was part of that “sharing,” and simply because I have purged most of those memories, I haven’t been a fan ever since, although I might be willing to try in an environment that I’m more in control of these days.

I’m not saying he wasn’t talented, although that doesn’t mean he was acceptable to my ears. And grouping him in with crap like Mrs. Miller and a few others I have thankfully forgotten didn’t endear his music to me.

I’m usually not into blatantly political commentary, especially in music. Maybe that has something to do with it.
When I was in Vietnam, a guy from Cali had his whole LP collection shipped over. I became aware of a lot of groups I'd never heard of before. A lot of variety and certainly more entertaining than AFN radio.

AFN Frankfurt was pretty tame stuff, although they had an hour each week called “underground.” They played “In-a-gadda-da-vida” by Iron Butterfly and “Paralyzed” by The Legendary Stardust Cowboy, along with a few other slightly off-center pieces.

“GOOD MORNING VIET NAM!”

AFN Frankfurt was pretty tame stuff, although they had an hour each week called “underground.” They played “In-a-gadda-da-vida” by Iron Butterfly and “Paralyzed” by The Legendary Stardust Cowboy, along with a few other slightly off-center pieces.

“GOOD MORNING VIET NAM!”
Didn't AFN in Gemany come from Stuttgart? That's what I remember anyway on a trip there in early 70's.

“GOOD MORNING VIET NAM!”
So, no Fugs?

I was born in 67 and missed all that. (Timing eh?)
I stumbled across them a long time ago and understand they played at protests. Sure sounds like they were influenced by Zappa's 1st couple albums in hindsight. Yeah, that would have likely been no go on AFN radio!

I was born in 67 and missed all that. (Timing eh?)
I stumbled across them a long time ago and understand they played at protests. Sure sounds like they were influenced by Zappa's 1st couple albums in hindsight. Yeah, that would have likely been no go on AFN radio!
I remember AFN playing The Cowsills’ “Hair” and editing out the “Oh say can you see..” part.

Pretty uptight.

Back