3D TV & Blu-Rays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, for those who missed out on getting 3D blu-rays of Jurassic World: Dominion, Minions: The Rise of Gru, and The Bad Guys when Random Space Media in Australia went out of business, Turbine Media has acquired the rights and reissued them last month. They are available as a bundle, and yes they ship to the USA:

https://turbine-shop.de/en/3D-Turbi...c-World-3-Minions-2-Die-Gangster-Gang/6961273

They have also announced the release of the following 3D blu-rays over the next year:

TMNT Mutant Mayhem
Transformers Rise of the Beasts
Bumblebee
Mission Impossible: Fall Out
Scream 6
Friday the 13th Part 3
Dr. Doolittle
Sing 2
Migration

Hopefully more to come...

Big Screen is an app on the Quest / Steam that is a kind of virtual movie theater. You can rent 3D movies there.

I've got a few of my 3D movies converted as files so I can watch them on my Quest 3. Seeing Fury Road there is impressive, especially since you see the images bright, and not dimmed by the glasses.

A lot of the new 3D releases now come with a version that is the red/blue glasses. I've never used that option myself because my 3D tv works fine, but it's a way to keep the format alive and viable. It's my understanding the 3D Film Archive ea found a way for that format to not hurt the eyes as much though I don't know from experience.

My active glasses aren't particularly heavy. They use 2025 batteries that go just above your nose and between your eyes. They look a bit geeky, but it's dark when you're wearing them.

My TV cost something like $1600. It's a 60" and it fits where I want it. I won't replace it until it dies, and then I'll probably be screwed. I can use a projector in my room, but it's going to take a bit of work (not that what I've got hasn't taken plenty of work). I've never had a projector before, and my experience with them is not particularly positive, and I worked with them from about 1988 to 2014.

Better than nothin,!
And I've got nuthin'!

Now I have a 105 with 3D & my Panny 8000AE projector does 3D with active lenses. But my problem is occular strabismus where the eye muscles don't work together. Instead whatever I'm looking at my right eye is positioned inferior nasal just enough so my object of attention is focused on my optic disc (blind spot). My eyes need a front end alignment.

That means no stereo 3D vision for me.
Poor depth perception I can't catch or throw anything worth shit. My dad had it but only bothered him when he was tired or too much to drink. My younger daughter had it and so did here older daughter. For them surgical techniques fixed it once and for all.

I mention all this because if I did have good stereo vision I'm I would be loving to death the 3D movies. I've always been a music/movie adventurist & it just seems like great surround sound & 3D movies would certainly be a thrill. I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously through everyone's notes & posts.

And I've got nuthin'!

Now I have a 105 with 3D & my Panny 8000AE projector does 3D with active lenses. But my problem is occular strabismus where the eye muscles don't work together. Instead whatever I'm looking at my right eye is positioned inferior nasal just enough so my object of attention is focused on my optic disc (blind spot). My eyes need a front end alignment.

Poor depth perception I can't catch or throw anything worth shit. My dad had it but only bothered him when he was tired or too much to drink. My younger daughter had it and so did here older daughter. For them surgical techniques fixed it once and for all.

I mention all this because if I did have good stereo vision I'm I would be loving to death the 3D movies. I've always been a music/movie adventurist & it just seems like great surround sound & 3D movies would certainly be a thrill. I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously through everyone's notes & posts.
Hopefully in the future, SW, when AI finally takes over the world, we'll have true HOLOGRAPHIC 3D [like Princess Leia's appearance in Star Wars] without the need for 3D glasses and without the 'aberrations' of early holographic effects!

And you're not alone. A lot of people cannot tolerate 3D in any form because of ocular deficiencies! Which is why 3D will always remain niche! And for the same reasons the majority of people cannot process more than 2 channels of sound efficiently because unlike moi...they don't have 4~ears!

And I've got nuthin'!

I’m not edumacationalized enough to know if surgery could help your condition, but it sure looks like it’s helped your family.

My spring chicken spring sprung about 30 years ago, even though I’m doing pretty good for a geezer. I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago and it worked wonders.

I played one of my Lichtmond 3D albums for my sister, her husband and one of her daughters when they were here to pick up some of my mother’s furniture after she died last April. Everyone was impressed by the 3D video art, only my niece and I thought the music was good.

I’m not edumacationalized enough to know if surgery could help your condition, but it sure looks like it’s helped your family.

My spring chicken spring sprung about 30 years ago, even though I’m doing pretty good for a geezer. I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago and it worked wonders.

I played one of my Lichtmond 3D albums for my sister, her husband and one of her daughters when they were here to pick up some of my mother’s furniture after she died last April. Everyone was impressed by the 3D video art, only my niece and I thought the music was good.
Those LICHTMOND 3D discs are among the best 3D has to offer! Absolute state of the art! Especially the one where that metallic orb comes to within inches of your face does a 180 and then reverts to the foreground. INTENSE!

71Risj7IHmL._SL1500_.jpg

81EBzzuqFAL._SL1500_.jpg

Those LICHTMOND 3D discs are among the best 3D has to offer! Absolute state of the art! Especially the one where that metallic orb comes to within inches of your face does a 180 and then reverts to the foreground. INTENSE!

71Risj7IHmL._SL1500_.jpg

81EBzzuqFAL._SL1500_.jpg

I am complely unaware of these Lichtmond discs, 3D or otherwise. You've certainly got my attention & I will be checking them out.

I was going to mention this as well, but like you, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer. And with all the scams going around, the last time I looked I couldn't find reviews or even anything making it clear that the whole thing is genuine.

I remember the TV being something like $2,500 and that's not for the one that allegedly works without glasses.

Yes, that is the pricetag I recall as well. I believe it is 4K passive (1080p per eye 3D) with circular polarized 3-D. But with used passive 4K 3-D displays still being able to be acquired state-side ..and sometimes for just a couple of hundred dollars, it is really hard to justify the price.

FYI, for those who missed out on getting 3D blu-rays of Jurassic World: Dominion, Minions: The Rise of Gru, and The Bad Guys when Random Space Media in Australia went out of business, Turbine Media has acquired the rights and reissued them last month. They are available as a bundle, and yes they ship to the USA:

https://turbine-shop.de/en/3D-Turbi...c-World-3-Minions-2-Die-Gangster-Gang/6961273

They have also announced the release of the following 3D blu-rays over the next year:

TMNT Mutant Mayhem
Transformers Rise of the Beasts
Bumblebee
Mission Impossible: Fall Out
Scream 6
Friday the 13th Part 3
Dr. Doolittle
Sing 2
Migration

Hopefully more to come...
Mind blown 🤯

Thank you so much for posting this. (y)

Edit: Hang on; I just double checked and I've got Rise of Gru & The Bad Guys in 3D. Do you know if they might be releasing 3D content that didn't make it to disc?

Last edited:
Mind blown 🤯

Thank you so much for posting this. (y)

Edit: Hang on; I just double checked and I've got Rise of Gru & The Bad Guys in 3D. Do you know if they might be releasing 3D content that didn't make it to disc?

That bottom list I posted, outside of Dr. Doolittle and Sing 2, I believe are titles that have never had a 3D blu-ray release.

Personally I couldn't imagine why anyone would not want to play a 3D video game in actual stereoscopic 3D...playing a polygonal 3D game in 2D just makes no sense other than if constrained by technological and cost limitations.

I guess ultimately it's probably down to the "lowest common denominator" not wanting to - or probably more to the point - not being able to pay more for a better quality of escapism. I personally can't really afford this stuff, technically, but I have a life long chronic form of depression and stuff like surround audio and 3D movies just hit me in a way that other media just doesn't seem able to. Listening to surround audio is like a "sonic therapy bath" for me...
Sony rather quietly released a handful of games for PS3 back in the day that included both 2D and 3D versions of the game. The 3D looked fantastic, but for me, the big turnoff was the lag. Personally, I found even relatively slow paced games like the classic ICO or Shadow Of The Colossus to be largely unplayable. And, trust me, I am not one of those hand-eye twitch masters. I am an old school gamer dating back to 1982. I am basically old and slow, but based on my experiences with those PlayStation 3 games, I couldn't imagine playing an intensive FPS like Doom in 3D. I assume 3D gaming is tremendously better from a technology standpoint nowadays, however, currently my gaming interests are geared more towards quality of life features like Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and VR. As always, YMMV.

PS3 - 3D.jpg

Last edited:
I am complely unaware of these Lichtmond discs, 3D or otherwise. You've certainly got my attention & I will be checking them out.
There are a lot of Lichtmond songs on YT, but not in 3D. The music is definitely new age stuff, and some of the narration is in German only. But it’s cool stuff. I hope you like it.

Back