5.1 BD!! "Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision" 3CD/1BD box set (Experience Hendrix/Legacy) (3/25/2022)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you mean it *wasn't too good to be true? The way you worded the sentence makes it seem like "actually was" refers to the concept of "too good to be true," rather than simply "true." So, "actually was true" would be clearer. Even "actually wasn't" wouldn't have made me scratch my head.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo and everyone else gets what you mean. Where's that hiding-under-the-chair emoji when you need it? 🪑😅
You are correct,,,, DUH.. I change it to wasn't..

I never had the Rainbow Bridge LP back in the day, but a friend did. Years later, my brother scored me a CD copy that has a few bonus tracks. I have The Cry of Love and First Rays of the New Rising Sun, which is also streaming in Atmos on Apple Music, so I've had a lot of exposure to this material. Even though I'm supposed to get the set from Amazon in September, I went ahead and bought the blu ray on eBay. It arrived today, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I'll report back when I have. I had no problems ripping the songs and documentary.

View attachment 106887
I had both the LP and the cd. I'm not sure either was an official release although the LP might have been.

I got my copy from ebay. It looks official, though it looks like something taken from a set rather than something meant to be standalone, since it's just in a cardboard sleeve and wasn't shrink-wrapped.

But very happy with the purchase; I wouldn't have gone for the full set. Just sampled a few songs so far, but the 5.1 mix sounds great!

I got my copy today and promptly listened to the entire disc.
DAMN!!!! I've been waiting years for a mix like this! This era of Jimi has always been my favorite, and this material was made for surround. Phenomenal mix!! There is so much going on on most songs that it really demanded a 5.1 mix to fully hear it all. It really lets this music breath properly. The disc seems legit to me (even if the seller isn't). Glad I pulled the trigger on it. 11/10

Last edited:
Now that there are (what appear to be) genuine copies floating around, you'd think the Hendrix Estate would make some sort of clear confirmation about releasing it. Whatever the hold up is (e.g. the Mitchell/Redding estates), the issue should be sorted now before ersatz ones start appearing.

Watched the 90-minute documentary this morning.
Stunningly good.

Numerous stories & interviews from witnesses, along with Kramer.
Assistant engineers, architects, roadies, promoters, old girlfriends, etc. along with Buddy Guy, Stevie Winwood...

More eager than ever to get the complete box in my hands.
So, if for whatever reason this box set never materializes, I wonder what these little beauties will be worth then?

So, if for whatever reason this box set never materializes, I wonder what these little beauties will be worth then?

This simply must come out at some point.
Shocking to see the 2021 date on everything.

Deja vu all over again, recalling the delay for 5.1 Animals that ultimately resolved. ☮️

Creative way to copy a disc to sell on Ebay for sure. Sounds like they must have done it right? I have Deutsche Grammophon reissues of Rainbow Bridge, Cry of Love, and War Heroes. Have to look what my Loose Ends is. The originals have a noticeable higher fidelity. Aging tapes? Listen to this set a little loud for best results! Every song isn't a new definitive version IMHO but some might be. A solid addendum to those albums no matter what. A lot like the Electric Ladyland 5.1 remix. Varied results but some real moments of greatness. Some of these mixes are absolutely stunning upgrades all the way around! Room Full Of Mirrors is not only an upmix but an upmix of the alternate drum overdub take. So that's too bad. There's no harsh slammed production so you can turn this up! Possibly the best release in the last decade for me. I mean if it was released.

Last edited:
These are my initial impressions after listening to the songs:

General: Good fidelity (with some exceptions), good use of reverb and vocal effects in surrounds, less muddiness, especially of bass and drums, than in stereo mix, some good use of separation and panning. I'm most satisfied with songs 7, 10, and 12. I'm least satisfied with songs 16, 17, and 18 because they still have what I perceive as muddiness, almost sounding lo-fi.

1. Freedom: panning guitar in the mini-solo, vocal response in LS
  2. Valleys of Neptune: I'm not familar with this song and wasn't that impressed.
  3. Ezy Rider: cowbell in LS, panning guitar and vocals, outro panning
  4. Angel: vocal reverb (I'm not sure if it was the same as the stereo mix or improved), new "outro-return"
  5. Izabella: much improved from the stereo mix, instruments and vocals separated, background vocals in surrounds
  6. Lover Man: unfamiliar with this song, some guitar panning
  7. Night Bird Flying: nice intro panning, separation of guitar tracks, reverb on guitar
  8. My Friend: effective separation of bar sounds, especially in intro, harmonica in RS
  9. Dolly Dagger: good separation of guitar tracks and vocals, panning of guitar solo
  10. Pali Gap: My favorite Hendrix song, and this remix didn't disappoint. Nice panning of guitar during intro, bass line much clearer than in stereo, good separation of guitar tracks, reverb on some guitar, different outro.
  11. Straight Ahead: panning of lead guitar, separation of guitar tracks, panning of wah-wah
  12. Drifting: separation of instruments and vocals much improved over stereo, guitar panning
  13. Beginnings: less familiar with this song and less impressed
  14. Stepping Stone: some panning of guitars
  15. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun): some panning of guitar (and drums!) in intro, slight improvement over stereo
  16. Earth Blues: still muddy, but separation improves the mix a bit, such as the "everybody" vocals in the surrounds. Some panning of guitar. I wonder if there are no guitar overdubs on this song.
  17. In From the Storm: still muddy, but some overdubs and separation
  18. Room Full of Mirrors: This sounded the most lo-fi and almost made me wonder if it sounded worse than the stereo mix.
  19. Astro Man: Ah, the fidelity is back. Good separation, reverb on drums (timpanis?), missing/buried guitar riff from "there it goes" break
  20. Belly Button Window: wah-wah in RF, not much seems to be happening in surrounds

Overall, I'm extremely pleased. I don't know if I'll keep my preorder for the whole set because I'm not sure how much value the material on the CDs would have for me. I also want to listen to the Atmos mix of these songs (except for Pali Gap and a couple of others) again so I can compare. For that matter, I want to listen to the stereo mixes I have to confirm/re-evaluate my impressions.

Last edited:
I haven't compared all the songs to their Atmos counterparts, but I did listen to the ones that sounded muddy on this 5.1 release (16-18), and I think they sounded less muddy in Atmos. It would be great if, at some point, the best versions of all these songs are available on a disc, or even a download.

Moral of the Story : Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

giphy.webp

I haven't compared all the songs to their Atmos counterparts, but I did listen to the ones that sounded muddy on this 5.1 release (16-18), and I think they sounded less muddy in Atmos. It would be great if, at some point, the best versions of all these songs are available on a disc, or even a download.

Maybe that's the hold-up. They're making new BDs with Atmos mixes to go in the set. And they're selling the original 5.1 BDs as standalones on ebay (and other sources).

Wouldn't that be nice!

I would be interested to know the impressions of others who have received this disc, especially songs 16-18, and especially those who can compare them to their streaming Atmos versions.

I would be interested to know the impressions of others who have received this disc, especially songs 16-18, and especially those who can compare them to their streaming Atmos versions.
I am somewhat confused.

I listened to Atmos First Rays Of The New Rising Sun via Apple streaming last night, pretty good surround, swirling parts, etc.
17 songs and a 16:25 video.

My EBay copy (Electric Lady Studios-A Jimi Hendrix Vision) looks like it will arrive today, which contains 20 songs in 5.1 and a 90 minute video.

Are they meant to be versions of the same thing?

Back