Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from Alan himself, Prog magazine, Issue 136, page 62: "I've just remixed The Turn of a Friendly Card in surround sound and I'd like the album to go to Dolby ATMOS as well, which I've just equipped my studio with," Parsons reveals.
That would be great but there’s no mention of atmos in the pre release details as of yet

I'm tempted to buy at this price..... So what do you all think the price will be of the stand alone BD of this when it comes out??
Looking back, for the stand alone BDs, I paid GBP18 for Tales (March 2017) and GBP32 for Eye (June 2018).

I'll get the stand alone BD when it comes out.
But honestly I'd just prefer a download like we get from IAA, etc.
Save the plastic, the shipping, and the environment, I don't need it.
Just the music and a pdf of any booklets, artwork, etc.
Can't read the tiny booklets anyway, but the pdf on my 75" TV is just perfect. :p

I'll get the stand alone BD when it comes out.
But honestly I'd just prefer a download like we get from IAA, etc.
Save the plastic, the shipping, and the environment, I don't need it.
Just the music and a pdf of any booklets, artwork, etc.
Can't read the tiny booklets anyway, but the pdf on my 75" TV is just perfect. :p
I normally go for just the BR but at the ImportCDs price, and it being 25% of a Kiss Unit (KU), I am happy to spend a bit more for the CDs as well.

And I am with you, I can't remember the last time I could pull the year off the back of a CD ... I have to look it up these days so I can tag.

Saw this link on twitter - made me smile. Waiting for the stand alone blu ray in May
Why do they make us wait so long for the release we want the most? :(
I'd like to take a few of those responsible and introduce them to The Rack!
1676611507500.jpeg

View attachment 88686
Seriously, Sal, how many would spring for the deluxe box set if the stand alone BD~A was released concurrently? Those stand alone BD~As which would fit in one's shelves perfectly with the other AP releases is usually offered for under 20 bucks! IMO, well worth the wait!

I think that it is good marketing. Those who gotta-have-it-now will buy the box set, while those of us with a foot high stack of unopened DV quads will gladly wait until May for the standalone deal.

I think that it is good marketing.
Yea I get it, thanks guys, I just get frustrated.
I'll not a collector of discs, just the music, so I'd be thrilled with a download then includes
a pdf of any booklets, artwork, etc. The download I recently got from Reflection Club - Still Thick as a Brick was perfect, had the whole fold-out newspaper on pdf that when I open it I
can read on my monitor without even having to put on the ole-folks cheater glasses. LOL

The download I recently got from Reflection Club - Still Thick as a Brick was perfect, had the whole fold-out newspaper on pdf that when I open it I
can read on my monitor without even having to put on the ole-folks cheater glasses. LOL
How was that download formatted? Was it an MKV file? DVD image?

Just canceled my order with Amz UK. I'll wait for May and get the BD. All I wanted anyway. I do like Friendly Card a lot but what I really want is I Robot in 5.1/Atmos! That would get me to buy a box set. My favorite APP album is IR. I bought that album as an audiophile grade LP from MFSL (IIRC) in the 70's and it's still pristine. It was so good in stereo with fantastic imaging & layered soundstage depth, I didn't bother much with QS Synth to play it. Bought it again in HDAD format. I'm very willing to triple dip it to hear it in true discrete surround. I hope it's next on AP's list.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here but I’m sticking with my box set pre-order. I absolutely love every song on this album and I simply cannot wait until May to be able to hear “Time” and “Nothing Left to Lose” in discrete 5.1.

I don’t own this album digitally in stereo (just a rough sounding LP I got for $1) so I’ll probably rip the CD’s and sell the box once the standalone blu-ray releases to be able to keep the APP blu-ray’s uniform in my collection. And that signed postcard from AP himself is enticing! February 24th can’t come fast enough.

Just canceled my order with Amz UK. I'll wait for May and get the BD. All I wanted anyway. I do like Friendly Card a lot but what I really want is I Robot in 5.1/Atmos! That would get me to buy a box set. My favorite APP album is IR. I bought that album as an audiophile grade LP from MFSL (IIRC) in the 70's and it's still pristine. It was so good in stereo with fantastic imaging & layered soundstage depth, I didn't bother much with QS Synth to play it. Bought it again in HDAD format. I'm very willing to triple dip it to hear it in true discrete surround. I hope it's next on AP's list.
Just for schitzengiggles, try it thru the QS synthesizer. I have it on CD, and I've played it thru the SM. Very impressive!

Back