Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first impressions of this are similar to the 2020 Ammonia Avenue release - the use of the surround field is great, but the higher frequencies seem boosted to the point of harshness. I A/B'd "Games People Play" with the original stereo version on Apple Music and was shocked at how 'glassy' & hyped-up the 5.1 sounds in comparison, like the hi-hat is now the dominant instrument.

I'm not sure if it's the mixing or the mastering, but the last Parsons 5.1 mix that sounded really good to me was The Secret way back in 2019.
I agree. The 5.1 is far too bright, and unfortunately the same applies to the 2023 stereo remaster. For me, the HDAD 24/96 or 24/192 is still the best presentation for this album.
The 5.1 was mixed well and I am happy to have it, but some parts are so bright that I won't listen to it very often.

Overall, the box set is a disappointment. CD 1 is identical to the 2015 Deluxe Edition (confirmed by comparing the files and through AccurateRip). CD 2 and CD 3 are nice to have, but how many times I will listen to them? Once or twice tops.

I would give 8/10 for mixing. 3/10 for mastering (it's Pink Floyd's Pompei kind of thing).
Stereo remaster 4/10, too thin and bright despite having full dynamics. The HDAD or the old CD will sound better. Even the 2015 Deluxe Edition sounds better because compression helps with the bass.
6/10 for the extras
6/10 for the packaging and price.

I had to buy it because it's one of my favourite albums ever and I really wanted to own it and enjoy the remaster and the remix. But yeah, a disappointment. I don't recommend purchasing this one.

I don't use Audyssey either. Manual calibration.
That's interesting. I didn't have a real problem with Year of the Cat, although many others did. I wonder if the difference in opinions has something to do with the various room correction systems? I have a Yamaha and am looking forward to seeing whether ToaFC is overly bright, or not...

I agree. The 5.1 is far too bright, and unfortunately the same applies to the 2023 stereo remaster. For me, the HDAD 24/96 or 24/192 is still the best presentation for this album.
The 5.1 was mixed well and I am happy to have it, but some parts are so bright that I won't listen to it very often.

Overall, the box set is a disappointment. CD 1 is identical to the 2015 Deluxe Edition (confirmed by comparing the files and through AccurateRip). CD 2 and CD 3 are nice to have, but how many times I will listen to them? Once or twice tops.

I would give 8/10 for mixing. 3/10 for mastering (it's Pink Floyd's Pompei kind of thing).
Stereo remaster 4/10, too thin and bright despite having full dynamics. The HDAD or the old CD will sound better. Even the 2015 Deluxe Edition sounds better because compression helps with the bass.
6/10 for the extras
6/10 for the packaging and price.

I had to buy it because it's one of my favourite albums ever and I really wanted to own it and enjoy the remaster and the remix. But yeah, a disappointment. I don't recommend purchasing this one.
You’re breaking my heart! Both my girlfriend and I were really excited for this release as it’s one of our favourite albums as well.

Is there something one can do in software to tame the brightness? Obviously I know you can EQ it but is there something better?

You’re breaking my heart! Both my girlfriend and I were really excited for this release as it’s one of our favourite albums as well.

Is there something one can do in software to tame the brightness? Obviously I know you can EQ it but is there something better?
IMHO, it's not that bright. Pompeii was unlistenable and plagued with artifacts. ToaFC is just a bit bright, at least on my system and judged with my pair of ears. I listened to half of the Blu-ray this morning and I liked the mix a lot, Time gave me the goosebumps, what a beautiful song now enhanced by the surround mix.
Liner notes are worse than previous editions (shorter and less in depth) and packaging is also thinner, but despite of that and the 80 euros I paid, I liked what I heard. Of course I need to listen more times and louder to check if the slight brightness causes any listening fatigue. But so far, so good.

It‘s far from as bright as the Genesis desaster!

Are you referring to the SACD's? If so, I would agree with you, at least the ones with Phil Collins. Very bright. But for me, still listenable for their 5.1 mixes but harsher than I like. Depends on one's speakers and room acoustics, too. Speakers that accentuate upper mids & treble just might find them a disaster! ;)

Perhaps a victim of loudness wars along with a mixer who likes "bright" treble.

IMHO, it's not that bright. Pompeii was unlistenable and plagued with artifacts. ToaFC is just a bit bright, at least on my system and judged with my pair of ears. I listened to half of the Blu-ray this morning and I liked the mix a lot, Time gave me the goosebumps, what a beautiful song now enhanced by the surround mix.
Liner notes are worse than previous editions (shorter and less in depth) and packaging is also thinner, but despite of that and the 80 euros I paid, I liked what I heard. Of course I need to listen more times and louder to check if the slight brightness causes any listening fatigue. But so far, so good.
Compared with the HDAD is night and day. The stereo remaster is worse than the 5.1. But there are parts that are borderline listenable. The surround is is good and I enjoyed regardless. But hard to believe I’ll play it often. Ammonia Avenue was also a tad on the bright side.

I didn’t listen to it very many times but I never found an issue with the brightness of Ammonia Avenue even with my young ears! And since I don’t own the HDAD and have nothing else to compare this 5.1 mix to, I’m sure I’ll have no issue with it. Thank you!

I didn’t listen to it very many times but I never found an issue with the brightness of Ammonia Avenue even with my young ears! And since I don’t own the HDAD and have nothing else to compare this 5.1 mix to, I’m sure I’ll have no issue with it. Thank you!
I find half of Ammonia Avenue to be bright while the other half isn't. I think that @edisonbaggins brought that up in his video review? From what I'm reading here, it seems that TTOAFC can probably be manipulated to one's taste after ripping it and making EQ adjustments with a DAW.

Me too. I don`t know what other talking about. The mix sounds realy good. I think it is the ultimate version. After "Tales Of..." the best mix.

Have not heard a peep from Burning Shed regarding my copy!

As for the brightness, IIRC, this LP was originally a TAD bright, more so than the rest of them, but I will wait til I get my box to give my opinion...

Have not heard a peep from Burning Shed regarding my copy!

As for the brightness, IIRC, this LP was originally a TAD bright, more so than the rest of them, but I will wait til I get my box to give my opinion...

My copy from BS arrived today! Since you live somewhat close by, I assume yours will come home to you soon :p.

I was going to mention that, but it's the equivalent of saying "The Emperor Has No Clothes."
Yes, I second what you said. Maybe AP is losing it. I recall what George Martin said, that after sometime he'd lost his ability to hear the 'high frequencies' & he relied upon his son Giles to do the critical listening...
As far as the sound of TOAFC goes, I hope this isn't the case (...it being way overly 'bright'). Can't it be 'toned down' manually & sound just fine?
I also do this manually rather than relying upon a 'program' = AI, to tell me"This is how you want it to sound!" .
We have enough of those already:(

Last edited:
I tried something interesting: I created a stereo downmix from the 5.1 remix and then compared it with the HDAD remaster. It's not as bright as I thought, also not as punchy and dynamic as the HDAD (but this might be experienced differently in 5.1). The stereo remaster is not for me. The 5.1 is tonally acceptable but still too forward in the treble and should have been mastered without limiting.

Back