ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walton family lists Caribou Ranch near Nederland for $48.5M​

Caribou Ranch used to draw artists such as Joe Walsh and Elton John, Chicago, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and Earth, Wind & Fire

1723311498398.png

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/08/...ederland-colorado/?share=w2dr7wntvaniyrocolrl

1723311543973.png

50 years ago: August 1974: The rock group Chicago performs at the Caribou Ranch near Nederland.

A ranch near Nederland linked to the family that founded Walmart, and that once hosted artists such as Elton John and Stevie Wonder, has hit the market.

The asking price for the 1,700 deeded acres off Peak to Peak Highway, known as Caribou Ranch, is $48.5 million.

The Walton affiliate bought the property from music producer Jim Guercio, who originally bought more than 4,000 acres in the area in 1971. He turned the property into a recording retreat that drew artists such as Joe Walsh and Elton John, Chicago, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and Earth, Wind & Fire.

After a 1985 fire damaged the recording studio, Guercio sold about half the land to Boulder County and Boulder.

Caribou Ranch is a 10-minute drive to the Eldora Ski Area, and a 30-minute drive to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Buerger said buying the property would be like purchasing a state park or designated wildlife area. The ranch borders Boulder County open space and lies east of the Indian Peaks Wilderness. The owner chose not to hunt on the ranch, which is home to moose, fox, elk and other animals.

With an altitude reaching up to 10,000 feet and the main compound at 8,400 feet, the ranch offers panoramic views of the snow-capped Indian Peaks to the west.

Indoor Safari, the new album by Nick Lowe and Los Straitjackets is finally available to pre-order with a September release and a tour.

"This is me sort-of channeling Neil Diamond, which I can say a lot of people won't do in 2024. We revisited this tune after initially releasing it in 2019 and ironically the new version doesn't contain a trombone as part of the instrumentation, yet the sentiment remains." –Nick Lowe

https://yeproc.11spot.com/nick-lowe-indoor-safari.html

nicklowe_indoorsafari_cover_1_.jpg

Put a smile on your face and dance around the room.

Last edited:
For fans of Tower of Power, the band wishes to make your Holiday Season funkier this year.

Tower of Power - It's Christmas (release date September 27, 2024)

For more than 50 years, Tower of Power has captivated music lovers with their unique blend of R&B, Funk, Soul, and Jazz spearheaded by the iconic Tower Horns.
For the very first time, that distinctive Tower of Power sound puts some soul into the holiday spirit with the album "It's Christmas"-a collection of holiday classics and two original Christmas songs.

For vinyl collectors and aficionados, the album comes as both an eye-popping stand-alone red vinyl LP and a Limited-Edition red vinyl version that includes a 7" vinyl inside featuring the Chanukah song "Maoz Tzur" on side A and a Christmas medley on the B side.

CD pre-order

LP pre-order

Limited LP with bonus 7" pre-order

LP.jpg

Here’s something pretty darn cool. My fav band King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard likes to release live recordings through what they call the Bootlegger Program. Any show (or album, or collection of demos, etc) on that program is effectively public domain. Rip em to a CD, share them around, do whatever you want with them… including making and selling your own professionally made CDs, vinyl, cassettes, etc (if you do make stuff for profit, the catch is you have to send some to the band for them to sell themselves.)

This US tour they’re streaming all but one show (Philly gets left out, seemingly due to venue issues) to YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook… and are saying that all these shows are fair game for the bootlegger program.

Not only that they’ll throw the soundboard audio up for free later and are considering releasing the raw stems for people to do mixing.

Never seen a band do something like this.

The latest Rhino newsletter starts with this message:

When we first started the Rhino High Fidelity series in May 2023, we set out to bring a few of our favorite records back to the sonic excellence they deserved. We debated (and sometimes argued) about who could and should cut each record to the highest standards (Kevin Gray) and how (from the original master tapes), what plant would be best to press each release (Optimal, 180-gram vinyl), and our art and production teams spent countless hours working on packaging that would look and feel premium. Our hope was that you would get to hear the best possible version of these records (we know, we know it's subjective) and that you would hold in your hands a release of substance. We had an inkling that some of these limited and numbered editions might sell out quickly, but we had no idea just how fast a few of them would go.

Once again, we debated and we decided that more folks ought to be able to hear these terrific pressings and that here and there we might repress a few titles, unnumbered, for everyone, not just hardcore collectors, to enjoy.

With that, we've made an unnumbered repress of Black Sabbath available and today, we're dropping the five ZZ Top titles as unnumbered individual releases. (We will NOT be releasing any more ZZ Top Rhino High Fidelity boxed sets.)

We sincerely hope you enjoy these records as much as we do!

Just heard Stevie Nicks' duet "Whenever I Call You ‘Friend’” with Kenny Loggins and was reminded that she has had quite a few duets that were big hits.

"Whenever I Call You ‘Friend’” with Kenny Loggins (1978)
"Gold" with John Stewart (1979)
“Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers (1981)
“Leather and Lace” with Don Henley (1981)

And then a few more recent that I don't think I was even aware of:

"Can’t Get Enough” with B.B. King (1988)
“Sorcerer” with Sheryl Crow (2001)
“Cheaper Than Free” with Dave Stewart (2011)
“Beautiful People Beautiful Problems” with Lana Del Rey (2017)
“Remedy” with Maroon 5 (2021)
“Edge of Midnight” with Miley Cyrus
“Oil” with Gorillaz

Not to mention her work with Lindsey Buckingham in (and out of) Fleetwood Mac. I can't think of another singer in the rock era with so many successful collaborations.

Back