Tori Amos Unrepentant Geraldines 10th Anniversary - SDE Blu-Ray #25 (Sept. 6, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I waited and didn't do an impulse buy on the Tori, as now I can bundle it with the Bronksi Beat bundle which softens the international shipping blow somewhat. I think that will be my mantra going forward. Unless it's some "OMFG I GOTTA HAZZIT NAO!!!!" title that is fundamentally critical to my tastes or my collection, I'll hold off on some titles. *shrug*

I would have saved mine too because I didn't see a "two week pre-order" or "limited to xxxx copies" on the page, but then when I checked my e-mail it said "limited to 2500 copies" which forced my hand. Maybe the e-mail was misinformation due to C&P from another title, but I'll look to cancel as JJ suggested.

Interesting... I like Tori, a lot, but this one isn't one of her strongest efforts, not to me anyway. Still, it's not a bad album, and a surround mix will probably elevate the material.

Arrived today
Listening laters as there is the T20 cricket finals on.
Atmos and 5.1 mixed by Adrian Hall

1000014044.jpg

Ocean To Ocean is still one of my favorite Atmos mixes, so my expectations were pretty high going into this. But after one listen on Apple Music, I'm actually a bit disappointed. The mix is surprisingly front-heavy at times (in fact, there are long stretches in "Trouble's Lament" and the title track where it's just the front three speakers firing) and - at least to my ears - just not as creative or engaging as what was done for Ocean To Ocean. Of course it doesn't help that a good chunk of the songs are simple piano/vocal ballads, which obviously aren't as well-suited to the immersive experience.

Overall it definitely has that 'mixed from stems' vibe that so many streaming Atmos mixes have, where the bulk of the instrumentation is crammed into the front with little-to-no spillover into the other channels - so then when these intermittent bits of isolated activity appear from elsewhere in the room (like the "baby...baby" echoing vocals in "Trouble's Lament" or the tuba sound during the chorus of "Giant's Rolling Pin"), they seem really disconnected from everything else. Granted Ocean To Ocean may well have been mixed from stems too, but that mix sounds a lot more cohesive and enveloping to me than this one.

Ocean To Ocean is still one of my favorite Atmos mixes, so my expectations were pretty high going into this. But after one listen on Apple Music, I'm actually a bit disappointed. The mix is surprisingly front-heavy at times (in fact, there are long stretches in "Trouble's Lament" and the title track where it's just the front three speakers firing) and - at least to my ears - just not as creative or engaging as what was done for Ocean To Ocean. Of course it doesn't help that a good chunk of the songs are simple piano/vocal ballads, which obviously aren't as well-suited to the immersive experience.

Overall it definitely has that 'mixed from stems' vibe that so many streaming Atmos mixes have, where the bulk of the instrumentation is crammed into the front with little-to-no spillover into the other channels - so then when these intermittent bits of isolated activity appear from elsewhere in the room (like the "baby...baby" echoing vocals in "Trouble's Lament" or the tuba sound during the chorus of "Giant's Rolling Pin"), they seem really disconnected from everything else. Granted Ocean To Ocean may well have been mixed from stems too, but that mix sounds a lot more cohesive and enveloping to me than this one.
As ever Jonathan, you've hit every nail on the head!!
The mix is not adventurous.

But her voice, oh her voice....that's where the total delight is for me.

Have we heard of the engineer Adrian Hall before? We have...

https://www.songchecks.com/blog/adrian-hall

Back