Bronski Beat - The Age of Consent 40th Anniversary SDE Blu-Ray #26 (Oct. 18, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did buy this in the 80's and I enjoy many of the synth bands from 80's but this one missed the mark for me so I will pass on this SDE.
It is a really loaded release though so for people that like this release and hopefully there is a better mix done on this than the Blur. I did buy the Blur and if based on Blur could be a red flag for this release if you are expecting a stellar Atmos mix.
The Blur Atmos mix is not that good which is a shame as the songs are very well done on the Blur release..

Reactions: GOS
That video of Somerville (with his dog) joining that busker is just so adorable that I had to preorder this.

Seriously though, I've always really liked "Smalltown Boy" and "Why," though for some reason have never heard the rest of the album, so it's a partial blind buy.

Not a good sign, considering The Ballad of Darren currently has a 6.91 rating in the polls, with multiple commenters saying how weak and unimaginative the mix is…

That's undeniably true, but by the same token the Jungle (the band) Atmos mixes available for streaming are good (though maybe not quite great) and @fredblue tells me that the Declan McKenna album is also good in Atmos, so perhaps the mix on the Blur album was as the producers or artist wanted it, rather than a 100% accurate reflection of Mr. Wrench's abilities or ambitiousness as a surround mixer.

I think as is the case with most creative/entertainment industry jobs, if you're not a "brand name" mixer like Scheiner or Wilson, you're basically a bus driver who has to drive the route that the company tells you to. So if you get an artist, label or producer who doesn't like (aggressive) surround and they tell you to put everything up front you can't push back and say "well, my experience and success has been doing x" you just have to say 'yes sir, how tame would you like it?'

...And in fact, even guys like Scheiner aren't immune to it - I remember an anecdote from him in an interview where he related that his initial 5.1 mix for Beyonce's Visual Album was more aggressive than the one we ended up getting, because the people in her camp balked at it and asked him to make revisions.

I'm not saying that the Atmos mix for this Bronski Beat album is going to be a surround extravaganza, but I think there's certainly cause to hope it'll be better than the Blur mix.

Not sure if I can really. For one thing, that falsetto (or whatever it is) voice makes me cringe at times. At other times, I find the tunes very "uneventful"...aka boring. Synth pop or whatever this is called is always going to be a tough pill for me to swallow, unless the songs are just freaking catchy as hell. Which, to me, these are not.
I was actually quoting a line from the song 'Why?' but I certainly can understand that Jimmy's falsetto voice is not for everyone. For those who like his voice he does a great cover of You make me feel (mighty real).

Not a good sign, considering The Ballad of Darren currently has a 6.91 rating in the polls, with multiple commenters saying how weak and unimaginative the mix is…
At least two ppl asked about the mix in SDE comments without Paul responding. And Paul will often say when it's a good mix. So, yeah, not a good sign. How do these guys with poor track records end up getting such good gigs. As far as we know, no one has still engaged SWT for Atmos? Someone who is perfect for it!

I wrote the last two above comments as I was reading through this thread, and now I see I have three posts in a row, sorry about that. :D

Anyway, the reason for this third comment ... I think it's worth noting that this is the second time SDE has successfully released an exclusive atmos BR alongside a wider box set release (the other being Ultravox). This is a wonderful development for those of us who just want the surround version and previously have had to buy the whole set to get it. Let's hope for more of this!

So I'm listening to the album on streaming now and (as I already assumed) it doesn't excite me enough - there are some good moments like the sax in "Love and Money" (I think?), but there isn't really enough variety for me, and hearing the duet with Marc Almond on the single version of the "I Feel Love" medley immediately reminded me of why Soft Cell appealed to me more: Marc just uses a wider range than Jimmy Somerville. Singing exclusively in falsetto is a recognizable trademark, admittedly, but it's damn hard to fully express yourself that way.
exclusive atmos BR alongside a wider box set release (the other being Ultravox). This is a wonderful development for those of us who just want the surround version and previously have had to buy the whole set to get it.
Unless I'm missing something, there isn't any surround version in the box set, unlike Ultravox. It's just videos on the DVD, isn't it?

Singing exclusively in falsetto is a recognizable trademark, admittedly, but it's damn hard to fully express yourself that way.
Much like Tiny Tim, Somerville actually has a perfectly good "normal" voice but for some reason just rarely chooses to show it off. Check out the song "Junk" for one. There may be others as well, I just can't think of any at the moment.

hearing the duet with Marc Almond on the single version of the "I Feel Love" medley immediately reminded me of why Soft Cell appealed to me more: Marc just uses a wider range than Jimmy Somerville.
By the way, Marc Almond released an all-covers album a week ago today. Once of the covers is of King Crimson's "I Talk to the Wind" with flute accompaniment by...Ian Anderson!

We've had a comparatively huge sampling of synth-pop from SDE, but I'd like to see some love for post-punk/new wave/goth bands. Modern English, The Cure, Sisters Of Mercy, New Order, Siouxie and the Banshees, Icehouse, Magazine, Peter Murphy, The Fixx, Thompson Twins, etc., etc., etc. Depeche Mode in Atmos? Take my money! It's not like there isn't plenty of gloomy stuff to choose from. ;)

We've had a comparatively huge sampling of synth-pop from SDE, but I'd like to see some love for post-punk/new wave/goth bands. Modern English, The Cure, Sisters Of Mercy, New Order, Siouxie and the Banshees, Icehouse, Magazine, Peter Murphy, The Fixx, Thompson Twins, etc., etc., etc. Depeche Mode in Atmos? Take my money! It's not like there isn't plenty of gloomy stuff to choose from. ;)
I have to agree!

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't any surround version in the box set, unlike Ultravox. It's just videos on the DVD, isn't it?
My point is, the surround is coming out as a stand alone at the same time as the box sets. In one instance, it's in the box set (as a DVD I think?), in the other, it's now not even there at all. Very cool we can get it separately. :) (At any rate, I know what I'm saying. :D)

I was actually quoting a line from the song 'Why?' but I certainly can understand that Jimmy's falsetto voice is not for everyone. For those who like his voice he does a great cover of You make me feel (mighty real).
I love his voice. A few years ago I put together an iTunes playlist with his work with Bronski Beat, Communards & solo albums which must have 30 songs on it 😍

I've bought a few discs from Paul before and ofcourse the shipping is killer to the states. Not familiar with this, but something with the beat/music (Runaway) draws me in, but Iam going to pass, and I know it will sound killer in Quad.
Looking forward to the next planned releases

By the way, Marc Almond released an all-covers album a week ago today. Once of the covers is of King Crimson's "I Talk to the Wind" with flute accompaniment by...Ian Anderson!
Yes, I got that track recommended to me on streaming!

It's an excellent cover of what's become a timeless classic. Technically, 'I Talk To The Wind' predates the King Crimson debut by a year. Hard to believe demo's of it were recorded by Judy Dyble and Giles, Giles & Fripp 56 years ago in 1968.

The rest of Marc Almonds' covers album I'm Not Anyone sounds pretty terrific as well.

Back