Tori Amos Unrepentant Geraldines 10th Anniversary - SDE Blu-Ray #25 (Sept. 6, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh - what is that saying? "Don't Look A Gift Horse in the Mouth" . Snood has been around way long enough to remember when there was a dirth of nothing or near nothing coming out for years and years in surround. Those that did try, did not last long and we were all sad when those who tried just dried up or died out quickly.

We paid out for those minor miracles along the way and were happy that the surround gods had answered our prayers.

So years later we have a lot more artists and music companies/distributors releasing surround sound.....from the Japan Sonys, Quadios, Dutton Vocalion, Zappa, the occasional overloaded (see even Snood bitching lol) boxset which includes a surround disc and our beloved SDE....there is no guarantee Sony does not lock up the vault, Dutton could go on a permanent vacation, Zappas who knows, Quadios - Well it is Rhino - when Rhino ends a program they stop full steam and we have SDE.

Could something somehow be better with all of these - well yeah but they all could be far worse too - Snood has been happy with all the companies mentioned.

Nothing is set in stone - when things end they end and we were always left thinking umm what the hell happened:unsure:

We are lucky enough to have a few of the main people from the current programs interacting with our QQ community which shows a lot of interest and concern of their customers questions and concerns.

Putting Snood's feet into Paul's from SDE shoes.....Snood gotta say for Paul to be working his butt off and stressing his butt off to get this stuff out and having to come here and see some of the urggggh complaints over just a few shekels - Snood would be tearing Snood hair out going what the freaking hell? Snood doubt that Paul is making much profit off these especially with the limited numbers - even if he was , good on him - Snood pretty sure Paul is one of us goofballs that adore surround sound and has somehow convinced the music company gods to release this stuff and him being able to have a side hustle too.

I can see Paul being just like all of us & Snood in the day (before Mom's health problems) - getting our new discs in the mail and looking forward to the night to be able to turn off the lights and crank up the new surround tunes with a drink or 2 perhaps. Now Atmos to boot. :LB

Snood not trying to kiss ass here , just asking us all to tread lightly and be more appreciative for the bounty we now have...........because Snood never want it to go back to what it was like years ago in the surround wasteland that once was.

Snood has not posted a lil rant in a bit....very busy no time - miss you all- but check in almost daily on the forums - this one just struck Snood as one Snood must Snood about.

Snood has spoken - Snood not sure what Snood just said but there it is. :SB:LB:SB

Give your Moms & Dads a hug for Snood - you never know if one day they won't remember who you are, so get those hugs in and tell them you love them as much as you can now - believe Snood when Snood say, that good stuff staves off the baddies. Be good to each other in person and online. Ya hear šŸ˜
Well Said Snood!!! I couldn't agree more. Now im off to call my Mom!!!

I spoke to Mark Hawley and I thought you might be interested to know that Unrepentant Geraldines was originally mastered at 24/44.1.

Any 24/96 version available is upsampled from this original mastering. The blu-ray version is 24/48 because blu-ray authoring doesn't support 44.1 so we have to upsample.

Which I cannot read because I'm still blocked :(
Here's a screenshot:
Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 7.31.27ā€ÆAM.png

I spoke to Mark Hawley and I thought you might be interested to know that Unrepentant Geraldines was originally mastered at 24/44.1.

Any 24/96 version available is upsampled from this original mastering.
Was the original mix laid down to 44.1kHz digital? It could have been higher resolution than the original mastering, or indeed have been laid down to analogue tape. Even if the mix is limited to 44.1kHz, many mastering engineers work in the analogue realm, and so could lay down a new digital master at a higher sampling rate without directly upsampling in the digital domain.

Amazon doesn't let you add to an existing order, but they don't charge you until an item ships so it's easy to cancel and re-order. Of course only a fool would expect SDE shop to have a similar infrastructure in place.

Which I cannot read because I'm still blocked :(

You must have asked about combining shipping!
;)

Last edited:
Right now I can order 6 SDE Exclusive titles and only get charged 20 pounds shipping to Canada, huge combined shipping savings.

Wham both titles, Paul Young, Soft Cell, Luther Vandross and Bob Dylan.

Unfortunately there's no way to know which titles will stick around to be available to order in a multi-title buy or not, up to the individual whether they risk it.

Tori hasn't mentioned the Blu-ray on her socials a single time, but no worries there are a few of us mentioning it on every post "she" makes and including a link to the SDE shop.
šŸ‘

Here's streaming Atmos mix of Dixie, one of the bonus tracks on the BD-A:
https://tidal.com/track/374165645?u

Have you or anyone had a chance to listen to the streaming version?

I listened to the album on youtube (stereo) and feel like it could transition very well to surround. Has a nice ethereal vibe to it, kinda like Loreena McKennitt - The Visit.

Anyway, my only hesitation is with the surround mix. I fear I wouldn't return to it if the surround mix falls short.

Have you or anyone had a chance to listen to the streaming version?

I listened to the album on youtube (stereo) and feel like it could transition very well to surround. Has a nice ethereal vibe to it, kinda like Loreena McKennitt - The Visit.

Anyway, my only hesitation is with the surround mix. I fear I wouldn't return to it if the surround mix falls short.
Buy it man, you just sold your speakers. lol

Unfortunately there's no way to know which titles will stick around to be available to order in a multi-title buy or not, up to the individual whether they risk it.
That's why I broke down and ordered Paul Young (CD and BD) with Ultravox... As much respect as I have for George Michael, I'm still lukewarm about Wham! but I think there's some stuff on No Parlez I'll get some mileage out beyond the overplayed big hits. (Even though the interesting cover of "Pale Shelter" that was on the old 2CD is missing.)

The titles I somewhat regret missing are Ten Years After (I know there was a second pressing) and ABC, but at that time I really couldn't afford spending that much on discs I wasn't sure I wanted and can't even put into my CD player.

Correction you can currently order 8 SDE exclusive BDs all at once, the six I listed earlier plus Tori plus Bronski Beat. Wish I had waited one more day on the Tori!
(Facepalm)
Cancel and reorder with the new item(s) included. It's the only option currently available, and they're happy to do it for you.

Glad I waited and didn't do an impulse buy on the Tori, as now I can bundle it with the Bronksi Beat bundle which softens the international shipping blow somewhat. I think that will be my mantra going forward. Unless it's some "OMFG I GOTTA HAZZIT NAO!!!!" title that is fundamentally critical to my tastes or my collection, I'll hold off on some titles. *shrug*

Back