Amazon music Dolby Atmos on Apple TV yet?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbwb

Hey folks,
New here but been an audio guy for quite some time. Any idea when Amazon music’s Dolby Atmos tracks will work on Apple 4k tv? I’ve tried it a few times and nothing so far!

Thanks,

There’s a FTV setting for audio to allow Best Quality or something similar. That needs to be set to allow Atmos and Reality Audio 360 pas-through. RA360 needs a very recent Denon or Marantz AVR (e.g. Denon Xx700H or Xx800H - my Denon AVR-X4800H works)

I tried to get into streaming Atmos, but ended up being thoroughly confused. I don't get why isn't it nice and simple like streaming TV shows and movies? It's not like they don't have Atmos soundtracks (well, some of them).

Can I only stream Atmos music from Apple if I have an Apple TV (I don't, though I have a very new TV, with all the latest gizmos in it)? I have an Amazon Prime subscription and they send me emails, telling me I'm missing out on Amazon music, but when I'm on Amazon Prime I can see no button to click that will take me to a music section. There's not even a paywall. Do I really have to buy something called a firestick, and how does that help? And what do I plug it into? I already have an Atmos system, so what does this firestick thingy do that my AVR can't? I very much suspect I'd go buy one, only to be no wiser.

I've googled around and found nothing helpful. Just generalised info. It's like I'm missing something that everyone else somehow gets. Sorry! I'm not sure any forum buddies can help. Just expressing my confused state. 🤣 :p😬🙃

The Firestick (FireTV stick) plugs into one of your AVR’s HDMI inputs and the AVR decodes Atmos. The FTV has apps like Netflix, Prime etc like an AppleTV box.

Amazon Prime and Amazon Music are two different apps. One for movies/TV one for Music.

If you have a recent LG TV (with eARC) I believe it can output Atmos streaming to an AVR from its AppleTV app. I have not tried it.

Can I only stream Atmos music from Apple if I have an Apple TV (I don't, though I have a very new TV, with all the latest gizmos in it)?

Related to what HomerJAU said if you have a recent LG TV with eARC, Apple released a version of the Apple Music client that can pass Atmos.

I have an LG 27LQ600S-WU TV in my office and it works well feeding a Sony HT-A9.

Outside of an actual box made by Apple, LG hardware is currently the only game in town for Apple Music Atmos with speakers. Why Apple chose only LG for an Atmos enabled version of their Apple Music client is a mystery.

Back