Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The facts (as per Wikipedia):

In September 1962, White received a call from producer Ron Richards asking him to attend a Beatles recording session at the EMI Studios at Abbey Road in London. Richards was record producer George Martin's assistant at the time and had used White in the past. The Beatles had recorded "Love Me Do" twice already: at an EMI audition on 6 June 1962 with Pete Best on drums when he was still a member of the group; and again on 4 September 1962 now with Ringo Starr on drums, Starr having replaced Best the previous month.[8]

Martin had disapproved of Best's drumming and was still unhappy with newcomer Starr's drumming.[9] On 11 September 1962, Richards, who was in charge of recording that day, wanted the song recorded again, and the Beatles played "Love Me Do" a third time, this time with White replacing Starr on drums and Starr relegated to playing tambourine.[2][6] "P.S. I Love You" was also recorded during this session with White playing a "lightweight cha-cha-chá beat"[10] on bongos rather than drums[11][page needed] and Starr playing maracas.[12] White says he was paid £5 for the session and 10 shillings for bringing his drum kit,[13][14] and did not earn any royalties from the sale of the records.[6][15]

The version of "Love Me Do" with Starr playing drums was used on the early British pressings of the single in 1962. The version with White playing drums was used on the first American pressings of the single in 1964, all later releases of the single, on the Beatles' debut British album, Please Please Me, in 1963, and most subsequent albums that included the song.[3][4] The version with Starr on drums has also been reissued on occasion; it appeared on the Rarities (1980) compilation, which was released in North America, and received worldwide release on the Past Masters compilation in 1988.[3][16]

A 1992 single included both the Starr and White versions. An easy way to distinguish between the two versions is that White's version features Starr on tambourine; Starr's version does not include a tambourine.[12] The Pete Best version of the song, initially thought to be lost, was released for the first time on Anthology 1 (1995). "P.S. I Love You", with White drumming, was released on the "B" side of the "Love Me Do" single, and on the Please Please Me album.[3]

In a 2012 BBC interview, White claimed that during the 11 September session he also played on a recording of "Please Please Me", and that this performance was used on the hit single: "From the drum sound I can tell that I was on it, because it was a vastly different sound to Ringo's drumset at that time. This was before he got the Ludwig kit. Each drummer gets an individual sound, first of all by the way they tune the drums and then by the way they play the drums."[13][14] In any case, he did not participate in the final recording on 26 November, and was only hired for the 11 September session.

This was the only time White played with the Beatles, but it was enough to get him "into the history books",[2] and the distinction of being one of the so-called "fifth Beatles".[5] White said that on that day in the studio the only members of the Beatles he worked with were Paul McCartney and John Lennon, because they were the songwriters. "They didn't use any written music, and what I had to do was play the routines with them to get an idea what they wanted before we could even start recording."[5]

Rick's breakdown (with AI) of "Now and Then"

I’m wondering if the tools in the video are available to the general public? Because, seriously, a lot of musicians and bands are in the same boat with regards to recordings. I have a lot of recordings that need this treatment. One of my friends bands has a great performance, but you can’t hear the vocal and the instruments are not balanced. Also, live recordings. What a mess it is trying to record in different environments. This can also help with lost master tapes.

My first impression is this is probably what a Beatles song would have sounded like if they had got back together again in the early 1980s. I like the song. As is, it is a completed song and the vocals sound amazing.

But, had the Beatles been able to get back together in the 1980s, knowing their music, there might have been an added bit of music parts in the middle to elevate the song a little more. But sadly, we’ll never know. Had John lived, we could have had many years of new Beatles albums.
It's really a John Lennon song though, isn't it - it was not intended as a Beatles song.

I’m wondering if the tools in the video are available to the general public? Because, seriously, a lot of musicians and bands are in the same boat with regards to recordings. I have a lot of recordings that need this treatment. One of my friends bands has a great performance, but you can’t hear the vocal and the instruments are not balanced. Also, live recordings. What a mess it is trying to record in different environments. This can also help with lost master tapes.
The MVSEP web page is a good introduction to this. I’ve been able to rip some old demos to bass, drums, vocal, guitar and tidy things up a little. From memory, in my mind I think that I got a better vocal take in some cases by getting the MVSEP instrumental mix and inverting it against the original. I’ve sighted discussions on here by others regarding other (expensive) software that they say does a better job.

Check out this thread for something similar that a lot of folks here are using-

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...od-at-vocal-separations-check-this-out.33203/
and the one in the video-

https://www.lalal.ai/

It's really a John Lennon song though, isn't it - it was not intended as a Beatles song.
True. It's the other three playing along with a Lennon demo recording.

But if Paul and Ringo (and George as well, considering his approval of the "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" tracks) think of it as The Beatles, who are we to argue?

Is this version real? It purports to be the '95 version, but I never thought they got this far with it.

In any case, I like this one better than the new one.

This is really mind boggling... Definitely a superior version even if it still would have required more work. I wonder if this is in fact real? It does sound like it could be.

Edit: seems like this is fan made, and been out for a while. They did really good work with this.

Is this version real? It purports to be the '95 version, but I never thought they got this far with it.

In any case, I like this one better than the new one.

Wow! I like this original version way more than the new 2023 edition. It really brings out the emotion of the song while the new version comparatively sounds like 'trudging through wet concrete.'

That is not a fan mix. This was the original mix the remaining Beatles were working on during the Anthology takes, along with Free As A Bird and Real Love at that time in '95. They gave up because George thought it wasn't up to snuff with the other new tracks. Years later, soon after working on Love, Paul decided to go back and revisit it, this time I believe with the help of Jeff Lynne, as he said he would do in a well known interview, to create something similar in style to Free As A Bird and Love. That new, mostly completed track somehow made it's way YouTube for a while. (I can't find it there anymore. If it's there, it must be labeled differently so it doesn't get taken down.) It then was supposedly shelved again because I don't think that they thought the John vocal at that time was good enough due to source material.

With the recent advances with AI, now was the time to redo John's vocal, but it seems like they shelved the rest of that track that was done in the mid 2010 decade, which IMHO is way superior to the new mix, except for the vocals. Since that "better" track was on YouTube for a while, I will try to elicit the help of others to get it back there (I don't know how to do it) if others here want to hear that mix. Personally, I upmixed both the new version and that older YouTube version to 5.1, and the YT mix in surround sound, again, IMHO is far superior, except for the John vocals, (which I had to EQ a lot to make similar to the new vocals.)

Bloody hell

One of the most emotional videos I've ever watched.
It is beautiful
It is thoughtful
It just is ....

Imagine it in 5.1 surround sound. Some are already ahead of the game...

NAT.jpg

Back