Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• RDT_20231102_1404592996987608366671717.jpg
    RDT_20231102_1404592996987608366671717.jpg
    216.8 KB
Here's the comparison between the DR4 stereo mix and the DR11 Atmos mix rendered in stereo, both volume normalized
I snagged Now and Then from YTube this morning. While not as bad as the example given - DR4, the YT is DR5, it's still far from ideal. Strange really as Love Me Do from the same source measures as DR11. Here's what N&T looks like:

1698997026129.png

It's not brickwalled in that you can see clean peaks when you zoom in.

My first listen of Now and Then was streaming lossless stereo on my car audio system. ( Bang and Olefson). It didn’t sound very good, given that it was a quiet Lennon ballad slathered with a very dense production, with every musical element fighting each other at the same volumes. Totally unsurprising to see the DR of 4.

I then sat down and listened to it in ATMOS on my home system. What a revelation. It’s the only way to hear this song

If it’s not brickwalled it’s hyper-slammed lol

The vinyl will use the version without peak limiting similar to Peppers50 but we know that’s not an audible difference. Same EQ, etc.

I guess we can give thanks for lossy Atmos, hate typing that but I’d rather have lossy dynamic files than slammed 24/96 high res.

Also it sounds like N&T will be the only song that it like this and all the other 2023 mixes will be dynamic like Love Me Do so I’ll still grab the new CDs or downloads at some point, not wasting money on the same files cut to vinyl.

I rather like the surround mix of “Love Me Do”. I think it’s pretty well done considering the source material. Vocals isolated in the center!
Do you have a guess as to whether they used the single version or the version from the Please Please Me album. The latter sounds cleaner than the single version.

Loved at least 95% of the video. Peter did a great job, the only thing I would have changed is overdoing John's dancing at the podium. It was really good the first time in the area where the fabs are singing. It's a small gripe though, overall I think it's a fantastic video and an emotional coda to these four lads we're still eager to chat about 43 years after one of them was taken from us. My eyes definitely had welled up by the time they took their bow.

It's the single version. Wouldn't make too much sense to have the B-side of the last single not have Ringo on it.
Do you have a guess as to whether they used the single version or the version from the Please Please Me album. The latter sounds cleaner than the single version.
Also, no tambourine that I noticed.

Now and then it's an ok song, although I'd need some more listens to have an educated opinion.
Love me do now has got an spatial mix, with harmonica on the rears, but very narrow sound field on the fronts, so when the harmonica starts to play you get a wider sound field on the rear area than on the fronts. Nice upgrade, but a bit strange (again, on first listen)

I'm only set up for 5.1, and it seems like the harmonica is just coming from the FL. I don't seem to be getting anything from the rear speakers at all like I do with other Atmos mixes. Is anybody else having this issue, or is it something with my setup?

Wonderful just wonderful.
I called two friends and told them to watch the video ASAP. Very emotional well done by Peter Jackson. Yes the song has grown on me. Sad for various reasons. When it comes to creating magic no one touches the Beatles.

The thing that was always great about the Beatles was they weren’t afraid to put it all out there, all the emotions that make up being human. The Beatles never had to act cool in a phony way like most bands do. They simply were freaking cool. They realized that the music and songs were the thing. Too many lousy Bands just try to use their egos to fill in the space for a lack of songwriting ability. I believe Now and Then is as good as any other Beatles song.

I was remembering the first time I heard “Lady Madonna” in 1968. I was 9 years old and had just come home from a rough week at school. I didn’t like the song at first. I listened to the lyrics and it didn’t lift me up as I had wanted. I also wasn’t sure what I was listening to, because it was so different from their previous albums. Remember, this was 1968. But as life went on, it quickly grew on me, because it’s a great song. Time is the friend of really good songs. And time reveals the flaws of lousy bands with not so good musical choices. The Beatles seemed to make it look effortless to be great, because they understood it was about the music above all else.

Back