Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was directed to this article from the SDE's Week In Review 29 Oct. - See Footnote 2, at the end of article!

If true, it's a sad day for sure 😭

https://www.stereophile.com/content/last-beatles-song-and-other-news-beatles-remixing-history
Fortunately all of the other bands that feel it commercially worthwhile releasing blu-ray surround mixes are not on the Apple label. Given that we have the direct comparison, albeit with new music, of the Rolling Stones with a no. 1 album, with blu-ray in one version, surely not every other label's management is wrong?! Pink Floyd think it viable to release DSOTM again, again, again and it must make them a positive return or why do it? So why not The Beatles, unless of course their popularity has fallen off a cliff and they can't sell enough to make it worthwhile....I am sure I am not the only one on QQ unable to stream surround music - I've tried exhaustively but absolutely no dice with my set up.

I've said it before, and will again, I do not understand the music industry. Oh well, having recently received the new Quadio set of four today, plus Duran Duran on Friday, the recent Dutton Vocalion SACDs, The Stones Hackney Diamonds and only Peter Gabriel, Trevor Horn, Soft Cell, and the massive Camel box to come, clearly there is no market for surround mixes on blu-rays or SACDs......Apple must be right..................NOT!

For those thinking about buying the CDs, here are links and prices from all the usual U.S. vendors:

1962 / 1966
1967 / 1970
Amazon:​
Bull Moose:​
Deep Discount:​
Import CDs:​

Free shipping options available at all except Import CDs.
There is also 4 CD box set , so all of them in one set,
that could be cheaper? New Advert on that back of Record Collector Mag Dec Edition (UK Madness band on the cover)

There is also 4 CD box set , so all of them in one set,
that could be cheaper? New Advert on that back of Record Collector Mag Dec Edition (UK Madness band on the cover)
I've just managed to order the 'Limited Edition 4CD Red and Blue Albums' from the UK Beatles Store at a cost of £47.94 including £3.95 shipping/postage...

The CD single for Now and Then is now available for pre-order...

What the SDE post does not mention is that the single contains the new Stereo mix of the Love Me Do signle version, not the album version.
Beatles_NAT_CD_3D_front46-1.jpeg

I never would have predicted it happening but I am getting Beatles fatigue.
What's the matter Gene? You resent that they keep sucking money out of us with some new release that has exactly ONE Beatle's performance that we've never heard before? Or how about a big box set of an iconic album with no surround or Atmos mix...which isn't all that good of a mix anyway. 🤪

I get streaming is the mainstream, it just sucks to get teased with these atmos releases and then just get the earbud version.

Looks like I'm the only one who's going to comment on this great & accurate description of streaming "Atmos". I too am very disappointed we're not going to get physical "true" atmos mixes like they did for all their main albums... instead we have to settle for a streaming lossy "earbud" version on streaming platforms I have no intention of joining. No wonder Qobuz hasn't jumped on board yet: It may be 13 channels or something ridiculous like that, but it all still sounds like mid-range. I know because I borrowed an Apple TV and someone's AM account in compared it with the real thing.

Maybe the land of true audiophiles (IE Japan) will come up with something physical.

Fatigue or not, Radio 6 is playing and I'm waiting with bated breath for the Now and Then's premiere in 30 mins. I can't wait to hear what they did with it. This is the last time anyone will be waiting for a new Beatles song release, which is very moving to me. I'm sentimental like that, I'll probably wipe tears off my eyes, and that's totally fine with me.

As to the new Atmos mixes, considering what some of Revolver sounds like even in Stereo, I started to think maybe it's just not good enough for a high res release. She Said She Said sounds like it was generated by AI, not just cleaned up. I'm not sure I want to hear the Beatles like that at all, and certainly not in high resolution audio...

Out now. New Red and Blue not up, unless I’m missing them…
Now and then it's an ok song, although I'd need some more listens to have an educated opinion.
Love me do now has got an spatial mix, with harmonica on the rears, but very narrow sound field on the fronts, so when the harmonica starts to play you get a wider sound field on the rear area than on the fronts. Nice upgrade, but a bit strange (again, on first listen)

Now and then it's an ok song, although I'd need some more listens to have an educated opinion.
Love me do now has got an spatial mix, with harmonica on the rears, but very narrow sound field on the fronts, so when the harmonica starts to play you get a wider sound field on the rear area than on the fronts. Nice upgrade, but a bit strange (again, on first listen)

Atmos mix of Love Me Do does sound a bit unbalanced with the harmonica all around but everything else not so much. It does sound good though, ngl. The transition from the last song to the first is beautiful IMHO.

Now going to loop this thing until I can't listen anymore.

My first impression is this is probably what a Beatles song would have sounded like if they had got back together again in the early 1980s. I like the song. As is, it is a completed song and the vocals sound amazing.

But, had the Beatles been able to get back together in the 1980s, knowing their music, there might have been an added bit of music parts in the middle to elevate the song a little more. But sadly, we’ll never know. Had John lived, we could have had many years of new Beatles albums.

I like the song and what was done with it here. I appreciate the work put into it. I also like what we have here with “Love Me Do” in stereo. So, yes, I’ll buy the two CD sets when they go on sale for Christmas.

At least there are surround mixes that are available for streaming. Better than the old days of No surround mixes at all for anything. Of course I would have preferred an Atmos BR option with the CDs. But, let’s see what happens in the future. I would also like to have the Beatles Mono mixes in Hi-Rez. It’s interesting to hear the different mixes of these great songs.

Back