Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like they will use the already remixed versions for all the stuff that was already remixed for the deluxe editions but won't be bothering with the "1" versions.

It looks like everything pre-1966 will be getting new mixes.
Hey Jude never had a prior Atmos mix, correct? Same for Revolution, I Am the Walrus, Old Brown Shoe, Ballad of John and Yoko I think. Any others from the latter 67-70 era?

Hey Jude never had a prior Atmos mix, correct? Same for Revolution, I Am the Walrus, Old Brown Shoe, Ballad of John and Yoko I think. Any others from the latter 67-70 era?
The White Album never had an Atmos mix on the super deluxe box so those tracks on Blue should be new Atmos mixes.

All of those are listed on the site as using 2023 mixes.
Ok, good, so we are getting a new mix of Hey Jude. Thanks for referring me back to the announcement on the Beatles site. So the new Atmos mixes for the 67-70 collection include:

All You Need Is Love (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
I Am The Walrus (2023 Mix)
Hello, Goodbye (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
The Fool On The Hill (2023 Mix)
Magical Mystery Tour (2023 Mix)
Lady Madonna (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Hey Jude (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Revolution (2023 Mix)
Hey Bulldog (2023 Mix) *
Get Back (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
The Ballad Of John And Yoko (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Old Brown Shoe (2023 Mix)

Ok, good, so we are getting a new mix of Hey Jude. Thanks for referring me back to the announcement on the Beatles site. So the new Atmos mixes for the 67-70 collection include:

All You Need Is Love (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
I Am The Walrus (2023 Mix)
Hello, Goodbye (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
The Fool On The Hill (2023 Mix)
Magical Mystery Tour (2023 Mix)
Lady Madonna (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Hey Jude (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Revolution (2023 Mix)
Hey Bulldog (2023 Mix) *
Get Back (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
The Ballad Of John And Yoko (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Old Brown Shoe (2023 Mix)
Very much looking forward to these. I was disappointed that we didn't get surround mixes of associated-singles like "Hey Jude" for later albums after we got them for "Sgt Pepper".

This should go a long ways towards getting us towards a complete catalog of The Beatles in surround. (Pre-1966 material is always going to be what it is. At BEST, they'll be able to do some nice upmixes with the technology. I'm not nearly as concerned that we ever see those.)

Very much looking forward to these. I was disappointed that we didn't get surround mixes of associated-singles like "Hey Jude" for later albums after we got them for "Sgt Pepper".

This should go a long ways towards getting us towards a complete catalog of The Beatles in surround. (Pre-1966 material is always going to be what it is. At BEST, they'll be able to do some nice upmixes with the technology. I'm not nearly as concerned that we ever see those.)
Won't the stereo 2023 mixes of the twin-track material i.e. Please Please Me require demix/remix technology?

Won't the stereo 2023 mixes of the twin-track material i.e. Please Please Me require demix/remix technology?
In the case of She Loves You, definitely as only the mono mix-down exists as far as the master goes. At EMI in the 60s, it was standard practice to destroy the twin-track masters after they had been mixed to mono… 😬

P.S. I Love You is another example of this, although it doesn’t apply here as it’s not included on this compilation. However, for the same reason, it appears in mono on the 2009 stereo CD of Please Please Me.

For some of the new additions to the set that were recorded on 4-track, ie. ‘You Can’t Do That’, I’m not sure if Giles is going to just do a straight remix from the 4-track master or apply some of the de-mixing there as well. We’ll have to wait and see I guess.

Last edited:
In the case of She Loves You, definitely as only the mono mix-down exists as far as the master goes. At EMI in the 60s, it was standard practice to destroy the twin-track masters after they had been mixed to mono… 😬

P.S. I Love You is another example of this, although it doesn’t apply here as it’s not included on this compilation. However, for the same reason, it appears in mono on the 2009 stereo CD of Please Please Me.

For some of the new additions to the set that were recorded on 4-track, ie. ‘You Can’t Do That’, I’m not sure if Giles is going to just do a straight remix from the 4-track master or apply some of the de-mixing there as well. We’ll have to wait and see I guess.
Since they are saying there will be an Atmos mix, there would have to be some de-mixing going on. Unless they don’t really mean “Atmos”. I don’t trust all the labeling by anyone these days.

I was directed to this article from the SDE's Week In Review 29 Oct. - See Footnote 2, at the end of article!

If true, it's a sad day for sure 😭

https://www.stereophile.com/content/last-beatles-song-and-other-news-beatles-remixing-history
I could take that sort of news if there was a clear, official explanation as to why. (If I missed it, let me know.)

I don’t even care if it’s something I disagree with... I’d just like to hear an honest, official statement as to why no disc.

“We have a financial agreement that pays us more to only offer on streaming.”
“We just don’t feel the financial investment is worth it when people are buying the boxset anyway.”
“We like the idea of renting some of our music rather than selling it.”
“We plan to repackage this in a couple of years with a disc so people will buy the set again.”
“We hate our fans and love to watch them complain on forums when we don’t offer a physical disc.”

On the other hand, if that footnote is true, I’ll be saving some money on expensive sets.

Last edited:
I was directed to this article from the SDE's Week In Review 29 Oct. - See Footnote 2, at the end of article!

If true, it's a sad day for sure 😭

https://www.stereophile.com/content/last-beatles-song-and-other-news-beatles-remixing-history

IOW - We control the bits, not you. You should have never been able to have the bits.

There is nothing wrong with your audio set.
Do not attempt to adjust the audio.
We are controlling transmission.
If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume.
If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.
We will control the treble.
We will control the bass.
We can tweak the audio, make it flutter.
We can change the placement to fronts or rears, or move them to the heights.
For the next album, sit quietly and we will control all that you hear.
We repeat: There is nothing wrong with your audio set.
You are about to participate in renting our audio.
You are about to experience the anger and frustration that reaches from physical media to...

The HiRez Streaming Only Limits.

IOW - We control the bits, not you. You should have never been able to have the bits.

You are about to experience the anger and frustration that reaches from physical media to...

That bytes

Perhaps another hit to the guts on this news; however with all the Quad/Surround releases this year I'm still buried with titles to listen to and get to know; maybe more than any year in recent memory.

From D-V SACDs, Rhino Blu-rays, Sony Japan SACDs, SDE Blu-rays, and many others that keep my wallet slim; trying to keep a half glass full mentality :)

It’s funny because it’s aggravatingly true.

There’s a sort of cosmic irony to it that this means the widest distribution for their sonic MAL breakthroughs will be by cutting in a percentage to Apple.

For me, where this stings most is any potential Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, and Past Masters mop-up releases which would be Day One.

I grabbed Revolver when a Target B2G1 deal made it attractive to fill out an order I placed for two other titles. So.. Beatles were the freebie bonus…? Surreal for me. I like Rubber Soul enough that I’d do the same but so long as I’m suckling surround from the Apple Music teat, no box or book will entice me for their 1962-1965 output to sit on my shelf. Glad I’m not a compleatist (sic).

I’m sure their Blue Meanie bean counters have it all figured out only… maybe they don’t.

That all being said… the cynical daydreamer in me still ponders an eventual albums-only mega box of Blu-rays that’d include the ATMOS mixes never on disc (1962-1966 + Sgt. Pepper redux + White Album + singles). Only reason I think it’s possible is that it would mean buying two existing mixes all over again and because…

And so long as its albums only, people would still have to stream or hunt down the SDEs. They know us.

Back