Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If they made one with HDMI that I could run inline between my disc player and my AVR and it could switched-off/bypassed when I’m playing surround discs/movies or just want regular stereo, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.
The roadblock there is that Involve would have to pay a royalty fee for every unit sold that includes HDMI. That could add up quickly. It really is a good idea, but could be cost-prohibitive.

The roadblock there is that Involve would have to pay a royalty fee for every unit sold that includes HDMI. That could add up quickly. It really is a good idea, but could be cost-prohibitive.
Any idea how much per unit? If it's less than $50 per unit the cost would just be passed onto the customer. I doubt that $50 more would keep anyone that wanted one from making the purchase.

Always mystified at the preference for the "stereo" mixes of the mono stuff pre-White Album.
Will be downloading this for certain
I and some friends have made some amazing 5.1 upmixes Beatles songs/albums as old as Ain't She Sweet all the way up through MMT that sound GREAT in Surround sound, and bring new life to these old, yet classic songs, new mixes that sound contemporary for the current generation!

For the oldest material, not much would be better in Atmos over 5.1, but 5.1 is very doable if Giles would work harder at it. Revolver Atmos mix is a non-event for me, and the B..Sh.. about not making a Blu-Ray of it just adds insult to injury to those of us who grew up with that music and are still willing to spend TONS of money on new releases if in SS and Atmos!

Any idea how much per unit? If it's less than $50 per unit the cost would just be passed onto the customer. I doubt that $50 more would keep anyone that wanted one from making the purchase.
I think Chucky mentioned in another post it was too high for their volumes, which are quite low.

I had a look online and its round $5k per year to use HDMI per product if the volume is under 10k units, plus a $1 admin fee per unit, and a royalty fee of $0.15 per unit.

I'm almost 71 now. I "lived" the Beatles. I bought everything. Including the Zapples, the Wedding Album, everything, when they came out. I have every apple 45 and LP. I have all of the box sets and all of the other crap they sold us. I can pretty much listen to any Beatles tune I like in my head, all the way through, with the lyrics and arrangements down pat. That's how many times I've listened to this stuff.

But do you know what? I can't do it anymore. If "Yesterday" or "Hey Jude" comes on in Apple Music in the car, I bypass it. I have just heard enough. There are times when I weaken, like when one of their albums gets a surround mix, and I get into it again for a bit, but there comes a point where it's enough.

I can't imagine buying the red and blue albums other than to sit them on my shelf with the rest of the rare and common stuff I have, and at my age, it's getting to be "What's the Point". I actually liked "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love", but they are more curio's than canon. "Now and Then" will be interesting to hear but does anyone really believe it will be popular, as a song, in 2023?

I sound like a ranting old guy, but does anyone else feel this way, or am I just having a bad day? Life goes on, bra
I can’t say that I feel that way about the Fab Four, but, yes there are a few songs that I’ve heard enough for now that, if they had played on the radio, I would have cranked and spent the next couple of minutes lost in the music. Sometimes now, I just don’t want to go there.

FWIW, I’m 76, one year for each trombone in River City.

I can’t say that I feel that way about the Fab Four, but, yes there are a few songs that I’ve heard enough for now that, if they had played on the radio, I would have cranked and spent the next couple of minutes lost in the music. Sometimes now, I just don’t want to go there.

FWIW, I’m 76, one year for each trombone in River City.

It's not that I hate them, it's that I am saturated. For example, I still go to their stuff at times, esp the non-hit stuff. A year or so ago I had to have one of those MRI's where you're put into a tube. I had no clue how long I'd be in there, so to time it, I played in my head "Rocky Racoon", over and over, then entire track, piano bit, everything. I knew every word like most of us. (Funny thing is, Paul was asked why he never does that song, and his answer was that he did not want to relearn the lyrics!) Anyway, I went through 12 plays in my head, which is about a half an hour. It sucked, but Paul was in there with me

It's not that I hate them, it's that I am saturated. For example, I still go to their stuff at times, esp the non-hit stuff. A year or so ago I had to have one of those MRI's where you're put into a tube. I had no clue how long I'd be in there, so to time it, I played in my head "Rocky Racoon", over and over, then entire track, piano bit, everything. I knew every word like most of us. (Funny thing is, Paul was asked why he never does that song, and his answer was that he did not want to relearn the lyrics!) Anyway, I went through 12 plays in my head, which is about a half an hour. It sucked, but Paul was in there with me
Tangent alert.

I’m going for an MRI next month. Usually I focus on the rhythm of the machine as it cycles through whatever the hell it’s doing. It keeps me engaged. Sometimes a particular rhythm reminds me of a song and I’ll try to graft it in my head until the sync can’t be maintained.

At least that’s how I remember it. Mostly I’ll do anything to keep my mind from going down the rabbit holes so present when stilled so long. Now you’ve given me, along with this forum where I mostly (and enjoyably) lurk, maybe another way to pass that time. Probably not that song, though. I’m with Paul and don’t wanna put the work into re-learning it. When a Beatles song plays I know every word in sequence just before it flows out but there are those — like this song — where without the music itself carrying me along, just random bits stick.

Hmm. Maybe I’ll start with the heavily rhythmic Why Don’t We Do It in the Road.

For a half hour.

Madness.

Now, just to add an on-topic moment: besides the obvious disappointment that we won’t see a physical surround release, I’m bummed that the vinyl edition may at long last have a non-crossfaded Dear Prudence while it’s most likely the normal configuration on CD/streaming.

That’s not enough to dampen my excitement for all the new Atmos tracks, not least what I assume are updated White Album songs. Let alone the new recording. My expectations are in check but there’s no doubt this is a uniquely emotional thing for Paul and therefore — even if it were mediocre — it has a kind of layered importance. Hopefully it’s so good that I over-listen to it to the point that I memorize it in time to use the MRI as an overbearing click track.

I'm more interested in the technology used to create these new mixes and digital masters. But I think I'll wait for the prices of the CD's to come down. Shame there's no Blu-ray disc audio release (with or without Atmos).
I agree. When these were announced I was still in the mindset that I need to buy everything Beatles but I remembered that I never bought the Revolver set and I don’t particularly care for the remix so I will wait and see how these mixes sound on streaming before I buy the CD’s.

70 dollars is a lot especially with all the surround stuff that’s been coming out lately, my wallet is hurting!

I feel your pain. (Non-deliberate hijack alert.) I had a couple of MRIs, one with “contrast” one afternoon.

(Back on topic) No, it’s not that I “hate” the songs, it’s more that I’m not in high school any more and damn glad about it.

Here is the tracklist for 1962-1966 (The Red Album):
Love Me Do (2023 Mix)
Please Please Me (2023 Mix)
I Saw Her Standing There (2023 Mix)
Twist And Shout (2023 Mix)
From Me To You (2023 Mix)
She Loves You (2023 Mix)
I Want To Hold Your Hand (2023 Mix)
This Boy (2023 Mix)
All My Loving (2023 Mix)
Roll Over Beethoven (2023 Mix)
You Really Got A Hold On Me (2023 Mix)
Can’t Buy Me Love (2023 Mix)
You Can’t Do That (2023 Mix)
A Hard Day’s Night (2023 Mix)
And I Love Her (2023 Mix)
Eight Days A Week (2023 Mix)
I Feel Fine (2023 Mix)
Ticket To Ride (2023 Mix)
Yesterday (2023 Mix)
Help! (2023 Mix)
You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (2023 Mix)
We Can Work It Out (2023 Mix)
Day Tripper (2023 Mix)
Drive My Car (2023 Mix)
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) (2023 Mix)
Nowhere Man (2023 Mix)
Michelle (2023 Mix)
In My Life (2023 Mix)
If I Needed Someone (2023 Mix)
Girl (2023 Mix)
Paperback Writer (2022 Mix)
Eleanor Rigby (2022 Mix)
Yellow Submarine (2022 Mix)
Taxman (2022 Mix)
Got To Get You Into My Life (2022 Mix)
I’m Only Sleeping (2022 Mix)
Here, There And Everywhere (2022 Mix)
Tomorrow Never Knows (2022 Mix)

Here is the tracklist for 1967-1970 (The Blue Album):
Strawberry Fields Forever (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Penny Lane (2017 Mix)
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (2017 Mix)
With A Little Help From My Friends (2017 Mix)
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (2017 Mix)
Within You Without You (2017 Mix)
A Day In The Life (2017 Mix)
All You Need Is Love (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
I Am The Walrus (2023 Mix)
Hello, Goodbye (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
The Fool On The Hill (2023 Mix)
Magical Mystery Tour (2023 Mix)
Lady Madonna (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Hey Jude (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Revolution (2023 Mix)
Back In The U.S.S.R. (2018 Mix)
Dear Prudence (2018 Mix)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (2018 Mix)
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (2018 Mix)
Glass Onion (2018 Mix)
Blackbird (2018 Mix)
Hey Bulldog (2023 Mix)
Get Back (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Don’t Let Me Down (2021 Mix)
The Ballad Of John And Yoko (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
Old Brown Shoe (2023 Mix)
Here Comes The Sun (2019 Mix)
Come Together (2019 Mix)
Something (2019 Mix)
Octopus’s Garden (2019 Mix)
Oh! Darling (2019 Mix)
I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (2019 Mix)
Let It Be (2021 Mix)
Across The Universe (2021 Mix)
I Me Mine (2021 Mix)
The Long And Winding Road (2021 Mix)
Now And Then

https://www.spin.com/2023/10/the-beatles-new-single-reissues/

They may have been newly mixed on a 24 bit system, but they will be reduced to 16 bits on the CDs. There’s no way around it, tracks on a CD have been set to 16 bits / 44.1 kHz when the technology was developed in the seventies, and it is set in stone (and in a red book), without any provision to enhance or upgrade the technology afterwards. IMHO, that’s a blessing, early CD players can still read CDs made today, and vice versa.

Now, just to add an on-topic moment: besides the obvious disappointment that we won’t see a physical surround release, I’m bummed that the vinyl edition may at long last have a non-crossfaded Dear Prudence while it’s most likely the normal configuration on CD/streaming.
Why do you think the vinyl edition may not have the crossfade?
Personally, I would LOVE to hear the intro without the trailing sound of a jet engine.

Back