Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, 1967-1970 was noteworthy for having the clean intro for A Day In The Life and the clean fade-out for Back In The U.S.S.R.
I forgot about that when posting but you’re right, that always appealed to me. I bought the clean USSR on iTunes Day One on that platform. I already had Day in the Life from the Imagine documentary soundtrack that came out when I was all-Beatles-all-the-time.

I’ve always desperately wanted a clean Dear Prudence. Looks like this release will take away USSR’s and won’t give Prudence’s. That omission was my biggest disappointment on the mostly great White Album SDE. These aren’t gripes, just little sighs.

This may provide insight as to why neither Revolver nor this set are getting physical releases for their Atmos mixes; I'm guessing the people involved had less faith in the completed Atmos mixes, perhaps due to this instrument-isolation process.
Cut to 2021, and the release of “The Beatles: Get Back” docuseries, directed by Peter Jackson, which astonished viewers with its award-winning film and audio restoration. Using WingNut Films’ MAL audio technology, Jackson’s team had de-mixed the film’s mono soundtrack, managing to isolate instruments and vocals, and all the individual voices within The Beatles’ conversations. This achievement opened the way to 2022’s new mix of Revolver, sourced directly from the four-track master tapes. (emphasis added)

I for one am excited to hear the 30 new stereo mixes included on 1962-1966. I really want to hear what they’ve done to She Loves You, which has only ever been in mono, though a fake stereo version exists on the US Beatles Second Album, which I actually think is my favourite version, reverb and all.

I’ll be curious if the Apple streams will include the White Album tracks in Atmos. Since the box is “only” in 5.1, that is their only remixed album not streamable in surround. I like those 5.1 Dolby/DTS tracks but it’d be nice to have easy (lossy) access.

Obligatory lament: Once again no physical media. I’ll just daydream about an eventual blu-ray only box set of the albums in Atmos. Why quadruple dip when I can quintuple dip?

I’ve never owned either of these comps. Unlike Past Masters, these were already redundant when I was at peak fandom. With the expanded tracklists — and the “new” track — I may finally grab one or both (after doing price tracking due diligence). I’ve made worse purchases in the heat of retail therapy.
Curious indeed.... the way I've read the press release - AND I HOPE I'M WRONG - is that the streaming Atmos track will effectively be a partial album??

Whoever is running The Beatles' releases is seriously out of touch. £75 for a vinyl and £25 for a CD? And no physical Atmos release after the furore of Revolver is poor. Even Floyd got the message recently and did a stand-alone release of DSOTM!
To be fair both the CD releases of each album are doubles and triples for Vinyl

I for one am excited to hear the 30 new stereo mixes included on 1962-1966. I really want to hear what they’ve done to She Loves You, which has only ever been in mono, though a fake stereo version exists on the US Beatles Second Album, which I actually think is my favourite version, reverb and all.
The track-separation technology is improving all the time, for sure. It will be interesting to see how much they decide to use it and what the results might be on the older stuff.

I'm not expecting much, but anything's possible.

Whoever is running The Beatles' releases is seriously out of touch. £75 for a vinyl and £25 for a CD? And no physical Atmos release after the furore of Revolver is poor. Even Floyd got the message recently and did a stand-alone release of DSOTM!
is buying the Blue set the only way to get "Now and Then" on CD?

Totally on brand for the Beatles to do this if so. 🤦‍♂️

"Now And Then" seems entirely out of place on either compilation that covers the period 1962-1970 since nearly all of the elements of that track (assuming the "Because" outtake piece is true) was recorded after 1970.

The good news is that the Red and Blue album reissues should have new mixes and likely Atmos mixes. Unfortunately, if Giles Martin approaches the Atmos mixes like he did with 1 then we'll be disappointed.
From the press release it sounds as if there will only be new mixes of the tracks that haven't already been recently remixed.

In recent years, several 1967-1970 tracks and a few from 1962-1966 have received new stereo and Dolby Atmos mixes for The Beatles’ Special Edition album releases, including Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (2017), The Beatles (‘White Album’) (2018), Abbey Road (2019), Let It Be (2021), and Revolver (2022), as well as new stereo mixes for The Beatles’ 1 (2015). All tracks not also featured on those releases have been newly mixed in stereo and/or Dolby Atmos by Giles Martin and Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios, aided by WingNut Films’ audio de-mixing technology. Both collections include new essays written by journalist and author John Harris.

The track-separation technology is improving all the time, for sure. It will be interesting to see how much they decide to use it and what the results might be on the older stuff.

I'm not expecting much, but anything's possible.
In the case of the Revolver remix, I thought that the demixing gave the whole sound of the record an unnatural sound/feeling, kind of hard to explain.

But I’m also curious about the Rubber Soul tracks, another case where both stereo mixes are awful. Mono is the only way to go for Rubber Soul currently.

In the case of the Revolver remix, I thought that the demixing gave the whole sound of the record an unnatural sound/feeling, kind of hard to explain.

But I’m also curious about the Rubber Soul tracks, another case where both stereo mixes are awful. Mono is the only way to go for Rubber Soul currently.
I always preferred the '65 stereo mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul to the '87. But that was probably mostly just because I was so much more familiar with them. But agreed that they aren't stellar.

I've yet to hear the new Revolver stereo mix. I didn't buy the set as it didn't contain the Atmos (maybe I'll pick it someday if I come across an affordable copy), and I've only bothered to stream the Atmos. I think it's OK, considering what they are working with and all of that. Might be something to revisit again in a few years when the technology improves further? 🤷‍♂️

I always preferred the '65 stereo mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul to the '87. But that was probably mostly just because I was so much more familiar with them. But agreed that they aren't stellar.

I've yet to hear the new Revolver stereo mix. I didn't buy the set as it didn't contain the Atmos (maybe I'll pick it someday if I come across an affordable copy), and I've only bothered to stream the Atmos. I think it's OK, considering what they are working with and all of that. Might be something to revisit again in a few years when the technology improves further? 🤷‍♂️
I agree the original ‘65 stereo mixes are better but have you heard Rubber Soul in mono? You’ll never want to hear the stereo again after. You’ll be amazed right from the get go when the drums enter on Drive My Car.

I agree the original ‘65 stereo mixes are better but have you heard Rubber Soul in mono? You’ll never want to hear the stereo again after. You’ll be amazed right from the get go when the drums enter on Drive My Car.
So you're going to make me pull out my Beatles mono box and listen to Rubber Soul. Good...because I had forgotten that I have that set in my collection.

I you have a Surround Master, the new Revolver CD is worth seeking out. Many of the songs come across as much more immersive when played through the Surround Master than the "unadjusted" Atmos mixes.

Back