Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you're going to make me pull out my Beatles mono box and listen to Rubber Soul. Good...because I had forgotten that I have that set in my collection.
Do it!!!! I listened to it in the dark and I could not believe the soundstage, even in mono. No element in the mix gets in the way of each other.

Mono, when done right, can be a revelation. And (most) Beatles mono mixes were done right.

Well, at least the Beatles "Rock & Roll Music" LP will no longer be the worst official Beatles artwork. The Apple art department must have worked minutes coming up with single's cover.
The Lennon recording is from "the late 1970's". I had always thought The Beatles broke up in 1970....

The Lennon recording is from "the late 1970's". I had always thought The Beatles broke up in 1970....
Yes, that statement sticks out like a sore thumb. :unsure:

I'm contemplating the Red Album CD, but that is all. I'm particularly interested in the early songs such as Roll Over Beethoven. On the original albums, those songs suffered from an abundant amount of gain riding on the instrumentation. When I demixed that song, I had to use at least 6 cycles of compression on the guitars to eliminate that gain riding.

Excuse my ignorance, but are there financial considerations as to why the atmos aren’t included in a physical set? I get streaming is the mainstream, it just sucks to get teased with these atmos releases and then just get the earbud version.

Always mystified at the preference for the "stereo" mixes of the mono stuff pre-White Album.
Will be downloading this for certain

Always mystified at the preference for the "stereo" mixes of the mono stuff pre-White Album.
Will be downloading this for certain
I think a strong case can be made for preferring the stereo mixes for Beatles For Sale, Help, A Hard Day’s Night, and Sgt. Pepper but that’s just my humble opinion

Well, at least the Beatles "Rock & Roll Music" LP will no longer be the worst official Beatles artwork. The Apple art department must have worked minutes coming up with single's cover.
Maybe they should list the new track as performed by the new group “Lennon, McCartney, Harrison & Starr”. 🤣🤣

I'm almost 71 now. I "lived" the Beatles. I bought everything. Including the Zapples, the Wedding Album, everything, when they came out. I have every apple 45 and LP. I have all of the box sets and all of the other crap they sold us. I can pretty much listen to any Beatles tune I like in my head, all the way through, with the lyrics and arrangements down pat. That's how many times I've listened to this stuff.

But do you know what? I can't do it anymore. If "Yesterday" or "Hey Jude" comes on in Apple Music in the car, I bypass it. I have just heard enough. There are times when I weaken, like when one of their albums gets a surround mix, and I get into it again for a bit, but there comes a point where it's enough.

I can't imagine buying the red and blue albums other than to sit them on my shelf with the rest of the rare and common stuff I have, and at my age, it's getting to be "What's the Point". I actually liked "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love", but they are more curio's than canon. "Now and Then" will be interesting to hear but does anyone really believe it will be popular, as a song, in 2023?

I sound like a ranting old guy, but does anyone else feel this way, or am I just having a bad day? Life goes on, bra

To me, 1967-1970 was noteworthy for having the clean intro for A Day In The Life and the clean fade-out for Back In The U.S.S.R.
Since they’re using the 2017 mixes for Day In The Life, do you think we’ll still have the clean intro? The obvious answer would be yes, but I would think they’d have to recreate the clean intro in the 2017 mix. Is it just as simple as turning down the track with the clapping?

Maybe a stupid question but I did wonder about it.

I'm almost 71 now. I "lived" the Beatles. I bought everything. Including the Zapples, the Wedding Album, everything, when they came out. I have every apple 45 and LP. I have all of the box sets and all of the other crap they sold us. I can pretty much listen to any Beatles tune I like in my head, all the way through, with the lyrics and arrangements down pat. That's how many times I've listened to this stuff.

But do you know what? I can't do it anymore. If "Yesterday" or "Hey Jude" comes on in Apple Music in the car, I bypass it. I have just heard enough. There are times when I weaken, like when one of their albums gets a surround mix, and I get into it again for a bit, but there comes a point where it's enough.

I can't imagine buying the red and blue albums other than to sit them on my shelf with the rest of the rare and common stuff I have, and at my age, it's getting to be "What's the Point". I actually liked "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love", but they are more curio's than canon. "Now and Then" will be interesting to hear but does anyone really believe it will be popular, as a song, in 2023?

I sound like a ranting old guy, but does anyone else feel this way, or am I just having a bad day? Life goes on, bra
I’m only 22 but like you I know all the arrangements and lyrics in my head. I hope I don’t get to where you are at anytime soon!!

I do agree with you however that I usually don’t listen to stuff like Hey Jude anymore, I much prefer the deeper album cuts these days.

I think a strong case can be made for preferring the stereo mixes for Beatles For Sale, Help, A Hard Day’s Night, and Sgt. Pepper but that’s just my humble opinion
Mmmm, some songs have interesting mono mixes like the Lucy In The Sky, with all the extra phasing, but songs like Day In The Life are better in stereo... I've made playlists of some albums with songs taken from Beatles remixers, Yellow Submarine Songtrack, the Mono mixes & standard stereo to try to get the best mix (IMHO) of each

I’m only 22 but like you I know all the arrangements and lyrics in my head. I hope I don’t get to where you are at anytime soon!!

I do agree with you however that I usually don’t listen to stuff like Hey Jude anymore, I much prefer the deeper album cuts these days.

Yes! If "Hey Bulldog" comes on, it's crank it up as that one's still a good listen to me. And don't worry, you have about 50 years to go to find out if you'll experience the same thing as me! ;)

I agree with you on not buying everything they put out any more but I don’t think I will ever get tired of the tunes.

in that vein I did a 'walkaway' from Led Zep for about 4 or 5 years. They just did not seem to turn me on anymore. a blah 'whatever' attitude. a break was needed. Came back to them in 2004 refreshed. Have enjoyed them since. Walkaway for a bit and come back recharged.

Back