Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll just repeat that I think some folks here think they “ own” the definition of what is a good immersive mix, and I don’t agree with that. Its art, there is no one answer to what is an artistic expression.

So true. Everyone has their favorite albums / songs where they wish the mixer had done X rather than Y; or put more emphasis on certain elements. Therefore, I strongly encourage anyone who wants to redefine a mix to their liking to obtain DeMix Pro. It is as good a demix technology that is currently available. Also, one might discover that the commercial mix of a certain track is actually the best that can be expected in context of the current technology.

Sounds like the levels of compression we see on Love Me Do in the EP will not be the same on the CDs which will see a significant increase in dynamic range compression. I was looking forward to all the new remixes and being able to crank them, instead it seems the entire thing will need to be lossy Atmos > stereo as with Now & Then. YMMV.

Sounds like the levels of compression we see on Love Me Do in the EP will not be the same on the CDs which will see a significant increase in dynamic range compression. I was looking forward to all the new remixes and being able to crank them, instead it seems the entire thing will need to be lossy Atmos > stereo as with Now & Then. YMMV.
I really am looking for someone to give me a good excuse to buy these.
Your appraisal isn't helping, so thank you for saving me the $$$. :)

I will continue to listen for a good excuse to buy these from others' opinions.
Perhaps the best excuse would be if they showed up on Amazon on Black Friday at half-price (dream on).:rolleyes:

50% sale would be nice, I'd likely have to pick the CDs up at that price even if it's just for the car where the loudness wars is nowhere near as intrusive to the enjoyment of what I'm listening to vs. critical listening in the main HiFi room.

So comparing the 24/96 Love Me Do download with the CD, it's nowhere near as bad as Love Me Do vs. Now And Then. Given the differences, I wonder if the 24/96 download of Love Me Do is the vinyl cutting master as it's got about 2dB more dynamic range, which is typical of peak limiting. We'll know more when the 24/96 downloads show up and they measure the same as the CD or the EP download. I don't have the CD files from the EP to see if the mastering differs between the download version and the CD version.

DR9 -0.20 dB -10.06 dB 2:26 01-Love Me Do (2023 CD version)
DR11 -0.07 dB -12.09 dB 2:23 02-Love Me Do (2023 24/96 download version)

Previously we only got the vinyl cutting files on the Blu-ray releases (ie - no peak limiting) and this is about the same differences I show between the 24/96 download of Dear Prudence and the 24/96 vinyl cutting master on the Blu-ray.

Fingers crossed DR9 is as bad as it gets, because that's palatable. Even better if the 24/96 downloads match the above DR11 version.

Had a quick listen through the car speakers this morning. Few things I noticed right away, the ambience in the opening count in on I Saw Her Standing There is definitely different.

The new stereo mix of From Me To You has the harmonica at the beginning that was previously only in the mono mix.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but did the original red album have the album version of Love Me Do? I would have liked to hear a stereo mix of that as that’s the version I grew up with and prefer.

This is pretty screwy but...the CD versions of the Red Album appear to have (insignificantly) better mastering than the 24/96 files. Checked several tracks from both the Red and Blue albums. Wonder if they accidentally converted the unlimited 24/96 vinyl files for the CD-DA master? lol

Oh brother, I guess I kind of triple dipped on the Red and Blue.
Purchased the SHM CD from Japan, to keep my collection complete.
HDTracks released today in 24bit/96Khz stereo. I couldn't resist.
I am listening to Apple 4K the Atmos versions.
Overload, but I love those 4 lads.

How much does the HD Tracks cost? I might buy theses. Thanks.

Edit: Okay, I see it:

Red:

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/654d81fcdebc19161f44b023
Blue:

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/654d8257debc19161f44b0c1

I’m liking what I’m hearing so far on the Blue Album. Much more immersive as expected with the additional track opportunities. The 2023 Atmos of I Am The Walrus might just be the boldest Giles Beatles surround mix we’ve gotten in recent years. Lady Madonna sounds great to my ears as well.

I sure wish we had gotten a Blu-ray…

Back