Beaver and Krause Gandharva Japanese QS LP Report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A discrete version will exist because all Quad matrix versions will be made from a discrete quad master.
That is definitely not true. Buddy Rich Live on King Street was recorded direct into a 16 position SQ encoder to stereo master tape, and monitored live using a Tate SQ decoder to check the encoding was correct. No discrete quad master exists. There are probably other albums that were recorded or mixed in that sort of way, but for that album we know for sure.

I'll also point out that with SQ position encoders having 8 and later 16 inputs for the different positions, you don't want a discrete quad master tape since that only has 4 channels obviously. When SQ is encoded with a position encoder you either need an 8 or 16 position master tape, or more likely you mix direct to SQ encoded stereo either live or from the original multi tracks.

I'll also point out that with SQ position encoders having 8 and later 16 inputs for the different positions, you don't want a discrete quad master tape since that only has 4 channels obviously. When SQ is encoded with a position encoder you either need an 8 or 16 position master tape, or more likely you mix direct to SQ encoded stereo either live or from the original multi tracks.
As I understand it a discrete mix was simultaneously derived from the position encoder along with the SQ encode. So in the case of the position encoder the SQ mix was not simply an encode of a discrete mix.

Last edited:
Back