Rhino Blu-Rays not indicating Atmos signal on AVR

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Clement. Blu-Ray player is BDP-S6200. 4K player is UBP-X800. BTW, I did contact Pioneer and am waiting for a response.
I'm taking a shot in the dark here. This is from page 22 of your x800 player:
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 4.06.14 PM.png

This is from page 27:
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 4.09.08 PM.png

I'm taking a shot in the dark here. This is from page 22 of your x800 player:
View attachment 109209

This is from page 27:
View attachment 109210
Many thanks. I'll take a closer look and see if I can make a difference. I am afraid that my efforts might cause problems with the discs that actually work. But I can always fall back on factory reset.

Many thanks. I'll take a closer look and see if I can make a difference. I am afraid that my efforts might cause problems with the discs that actually work. But I can always fall back on factory reset.
I hope it works! All i did was follow up on @ar surround 's post. My fingers are crossed for you – you deserve to hear these releases in their Atmos glory!

Last edited:
Typically, a secondary audio stream is used for a very specific purpose such as a commentary, or a foreign language, etc. and is not needed for normal (primary) audio playback. In fact, it is recommended to disable secondary audio unless you really need it for something. It's fairly well known that if a secondary audio track is present and is enabled on some players it will disable the primary audio track. Frankly, on a Rhino music BD I doubt there is a secondary audio track present, but leave no stone unturned, etc. In any case, it should be quite safe to disable secondary audio unless you know you need it on a specific disc.

Thanks Victor Bisio. I'm jealous as hell. ;) All this might come down to some code not being received by the Pioneer AVR (but not needed on other AVRs?) I'm expecting Rhino Service to email me back with what they've learned. The mystery continues...
You're welcome. I should have mentioned that I have a two year old Onkyo AVR. I run the Oppo 103 via HDMI to the Onkyo.

Of the second Rhino ATMOS bundle, this is the only disc that lights up ATMOS on my 11.4 receiver. I became a Rhino cheerleader because of the QUADIO series. I had high expectations and excitement for the ATMOS series. So what does the Atmos deliver on this disc? A front centered wall of sound with a low volume constant cheering crowd in the surround. To place myself in the crowd, I turned up the volume to 90db, and when the band started playing the wall of sound knocks you out of your seat (and I didn't hear any distortion) That didn't last long for me, but I image a Black Sabbath or metal fan doing this. I've read comments about the sound being muddy, and I get it. It lacks crispness and kick. Also, I don't think anything came out of my sub woofer. Sadly, there is no 5.1 mix. Ronnie Dio does a good job for bringing a high-octane performance. The rest of the band plays well with a special "hats-off" to the drummer. I think the insert for the packaging could provide more information. For example, I'm interested in Hz/bit rate. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody, but a die-hard Sabbath/metal fan might enjoy this.
SURROUND MIX - 1
AUDIO FIDELITY - 2
CONTENT - 3
OVERALL PACKAGE - 0

That's a 6 from me.
Atmos is 48kHz 24 bit. If you use room correction on your AVR (Audyysey/Dirac Live etc) the sample rate if higher gets reduced to 48kHz anyway. (thanks to my fellow QQ'rs for alerting me to that)

I believe your Pioneer AVR is in the same family as the Onkyo and Integra AVRs and those have the full config available through a web interface. Open a browser on a device on the same network as the AVR and browse to the IP address of the AVR. Use ciuser for both username and password to get to the full config. That will have a lot more options than through the remote. At least that's how it works on my Onkyo...

If you use room correction on your AVR (Audyssey/Dirac Live etc) the sample rate if higher gets reduced to 48kHz anyway.
I believe the more advanced versions of Dirac support higher sampling rates, but I may be mistaken, and it is unlikely that any consumer AVRs use those versions.

I believe the more advanced versions of Dirac support higher sampling rates, but I may be mistaken, and it is unlikely that any consumer AVRs use those versions.
That is possible. Since I'm on the consumer side I don't keep up with that. lol. Add to that I'm cautious about upgrading to new versions of the software since I've been bitten a few times.

Atmos is 48kHz 24 bit. If you use room correction on your AVR (Audyysey/Dirac Live etc) the sample rate if higher gets reduced to 48kHz anyway. (thanks to my fellow QQ'rs for alerting me to that)
Might explain why I hear no difference between Ziggy Stardust 1972 Steteo Mix at 48k and 192k, on my system.

The more I think about it the more i’m convinced it’s not the avr but the settings within the blu-ray player, the avr plays what it’s receiving from the BR player and your earlier photo clearly shows the input as DD 5.1

Might explain why I hear no difference between Ziggy Stardust 1972 Steteo Mix at 48k and 192k, on my system.
That's more likely because there would be no audible difference even if played at their native resolutions, assuming they use the same master. If they do use the same master, and there is an audible difference, that will be due to deficiencies in the playback chain being used (DAC reconstruction filters, mainly). Otherwise, any differences will be in the ultrasonic band, visible in a difference waveform only.

This discussion needs to be moved out of this poll thread. 🙃

Back