What's the LATEST Book You've Read? MUSIC-RELATED ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished "I'm Gonna Say It Now: The Writings of Phil Ochs"
Phil Ochs.jpg

I've been a loyal reader of music writer Phil Freeman's Burning Ambulance blog for years. (He moved to Substack a few months ago.) In today's post, he reviews a whole bunch of books, a couple of which have been sitting on my shelves unread: one of them, Jon Savage's classic England's Dreaming: Anarchy, Sex Pistols, Punk Rock and Beyond, has sat there for ages; and the other, Will Hermes' Love Goes to Buildings on Fire: Five Years in New York that Changed Music Forever, only since it was published a couple of years ago. But the volume Freeman spends the most time on is one I don't have: Christoph Dallach’s Neu Klang: The Definitive History of Krautrock. He makes it sound pretty fascinating--"despite," like me, "not being a particularly obsessive fan of the music filed under that heading." It struck a particular chord because I'd just finished listening to Steven Wilson & Tim Bowness's Album Years episode on "Folk, Ambient, & Krautrock" in 1972. (Wilson's favorite album ever is Tangerine Dream's Zeit.)

https://burningambulance.substack.com/p/krautrock-punk-rock-and-the-weight

Back