Can AnyDVD back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did manisiutkin have anything to do with the original coding, or did he port it to Foo? Also his DTS-HD & SACD components?
I saw an old post at doom9 that claims he is the author of both DVDAE and foo_input_dvda. That said, who knows, perhaps the Foo library is just a port that he did. I can’t find any info about the DVDAE author.

I stumbled upon a free alternative to DVDFab for ripping DVD-A to ISO. Not easier, but an alternative.

Use Foobar2000 with the dvdadecoder software component installed, and open the AUDIO_TS.IFO file in your optical disc's AUDIO_TS folder. Foobar will populate with the various MLP MCH and Stereo tracks. Right click on any of them, select "File Operations / Copy To...". By default mine came up with "File name pattern" of %filename%. If it doesn't, put that string in the box. Check "Copy entire source folder content". Then click on the "..." in the "Destination folder:" box, and choose a folder on your hard drive. Click "Run", and after a few minutes the various .AOB files and all of the other files in AUDIO_TS will be decrypted and copied.

Next, use your favorite tool for decrypting and copying VIDEO_TS folders from DVDs (not for extracting/recoding the video, but for copying the various .VOB and other files under VIDEO_TS/). The very old original DVD Decrypter works fine, and it still works in Windows 10.

Once you have your separate decrypted and copied VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, put them inside a new folder. Then use Imgburn to create an ISO from the top level folder contents. Imgburn will notice a non-empty AUDIO_TS folder and will advise you on creating a DVD-A ISO.

I just tried this with one of the Talking Heads dual discs (DVD side obviously), and my jail-broken Oppo happily played it as both DVD-A and DVD-V. I'm hoping to use this technique to rescue a DVD-A that DVDFab won't copy because of corrupt sectors, but which plays correctly in my Oppo. Those corrupt sectors might be an accident or perhaps they were put there on purpose.
Thanks zdjh22. I just tried this process using Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" as the test disc. I'm happy to report that it worked as described!

I used DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0 to rip the VIDEO_TS then Foobar2000 v1.6.11 with the DVD-Audio Decoder component v0.5.5 to rip the contents of the AUDIO_TS folder. For completeness I then used ImgBurn to first create an iso file then burnt that iso to a blank DVD.

I then played both the DVD-Audio and DVD-Video layers in both 5.1 and stereo on my Oppo BDP-93. All worked as expected.

DVDFab had been my go to program for ripping DVD-A but my licence expired and it's a bit expensive to get an updated one now just for the odd DVD-A that comes my way.

Back