HiRez Poll Chicago - CHICAGO IX: CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS 1969-1974 [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Chicago - CHICAGO IX: CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS 1969-1974

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Music Content: 7

Fidelity: 9
(listened on my basement system, no equipment for Atmos)

Surround Mix(s):
Quadio: 7
DD 5.1 compatibility downmix of Atmos mix (listened using my 4.1 basement system): 8

average: 7.75, rounds to 8

aside:
I have very little experience listening to surround sound (audio only, not TV or movies) so I don't feel like I have enough experience to make specific comments about the song mixes.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Real time track by track observations:

1) 25 or 6 to 4:
"Missed opportunity?" Sounds a bit similar to the ball-less stereo and single versions. The Quad and 5.1 versions are ballsier, especially the 5.1. (Quad version could use about -2 dB bass cut.) However, this Atmos version sounds really good when CRANKED absurdly.

2) Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is
Very nice. Lead vocals seem a bit too loud in comparison to the music and backing vocals.

3) Colour My World.
Very nice. Vocal is not as overbearing as with previous track.

4) Just You And Me
Really good. Very pleased with this track.

5) Saturday Stuck Working Unpaid OT
Not so hot. Has a flat sounding front-centric quality to it other than backing vocals. Earlier 5.1 DVD-A is superior.

6) Feelin' Stronger Every Day
Very nice. I'm very pleased because the coda doesn't rip my ears apart as on earlier versions...It has much less perceived compression

7) Make Me Smile
Not nearly as good as the 5.1 DVD-A version. Probably on par with the Quad version...perhaps a bit better.

8) Wishing You Were Here
Really good....a bit more 'airy' sounding than the Quad.

9) Call On Me
Extremely pleased with this, especially the smooth ending.

10) I've Been Searching So Long
Great! Yet again, the coda sounds more open and less compressed than previous versions.

11) Beginnings
Lead vocals a bit too strong again. (Maybe I'm conditioned by the recessed sounding vocals on the quad?) But overall I like this one.

I'm giving this one a 8. It could have been better, but I still highly recommend this title.

A major upgrade in 25 o 6 24, color my world and Beginnings!. 10

If you have the time, can you express your feelings as to why you consider this Atmos version of 25 or 6 to 4 a major upgrade. I find this Atmos version to be very impressive when REALLY cranked to extremely high volume levels. But I find the Quad (with a -2dB bass cut) and the 5.1 DVD-A to have a more satisfying, open and ballsy sound to them.

Back