David Bowie: Ziggy-era Box out in June; Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray out in Sept!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds encouraging but I'm still gonna wait for a full review of the Atmos mix before buying. Bowie in surround has been pretty disappointing so far, and I've bought most of it ☹️. Still, I'm hoping it's a good mix and is successful - any of the studio albums from 1970 - 1980 would be a treat in atmos if well done.
You weren't impressed by STATION TO STATION? <sarcastic laugh> However, I did think HEATHEN sounded really good, surround-wise, if not my favorite album of his.

You weren't impressed by STATION TO STATION? <sarcastic laugh> However, I did think HEATHEN sounded really good, surround-wise, if not my favorite album of his.

It's probably an outlier, but Tony Visconti's Young Americans 5.1 mix is one of my favourite '00s mixes, even in lossy DTS form. They should let him at the rest of the Bowie catalogue, not to mention the Thin Lizzy albums (Bad Reputation, etc.) that he originally did too.

Listening to the new bluray now, the Atmos mix but on my 5.1 system. Not quite finished yet, but its sounding really good to me. Surround put to good use. Starman has nice acoustic guitars from the rears, which are then also used for keyboards and orchestra.
Same 5.1 setup here. I like the mix. In the liner notes, he says he wanted to put the listener in the middle of the band and that's pretty much what happens here. There is a little bit of panning, but mostly it's pretty consistent and static mix with acoustics, keys, strings, and backing vocals in the rears over the course of the album. The strings in the rear give this a bit of a Madman Across The Water feel for me. Very different music, obviously, but in the rears you appreciate the arrangements more than you do in a stereo mix.

Fidelity sounds pretty good to me and clean.

Not ready to vote yet on my 7.2.4 system, but it's definitely not your grand-dad's Ziggy! I like it so far -- you really do
HAVE TO CRANK IT for the best effects :D

dquad, yea, I noticed the left wall of sound that gradually centered -- sort of a fairwell to the stereo version, it seemed to me,
although I was noticing things here and there around the room. . . .

First thoughts, far superior to the old 5.1 (which I sold very quickly) quite a bit going on in the rears and heights but could be better, i’ll have to blast it a few times before giving marks out of 10

In the liner notes Ken Scott specifically calls out the four albums he did with Bowie, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane and Pin Ups. Should we take that as a hint that he would like to do remixes of those albums too?
Only "Life On Mars?" from Hunky Dory has an existing multichannel mix, included on the Blu-ray in the Divine Symmetry box set. I'm not alone in considering the album to be the best of early Bowie, so it would be wonderful to have the whole thing in Atmos!

Only "Life On Mars?" from Hunky Dory has an existing multichannel mix, included on the Blu-ray in the Divine Symmetry box set. I'm not alone in considering the album to be the best of early Bowie, so it would be wonderful to have the whole thing in Atmos!
Thank you this tidbit...I didn't know that. Divine Symmetry is being procured as I speak!

I just started the disc and its already lost a point for the FBI privacy warning and the audio on the menu.
Why do they insist on putting audio on the menus ? I hate that.
The sound is really good so far....
I give it 9

ditto. after my first listen it went back to the menu and scared the daylights out of me.

Back